Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I dont know if you check that other girls thread much. So I figured I'd ask you in here.

Would you say its easier to do 1st gear wheelies or 2nd gear on the R6? I only tried clutchin it once and that wasn't on my bike. Was on someone elses' GSXR.

On my R6 I can bring it up a little but not enough to even say a wheelie. I'm working on 1st gear right now. I'm trying the whole bounce thing. It aint workin for me though. I have about zero upper body strength. Stand ups are easier than sit downs...so I'm focusing on the sit downs.

When I'm clutchin it though in 1st gear, go up to about 3k clutch it and rev to about 4ish and pop the clutch. Is that what you did?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't even use the clutch in first gear. I just power it up in first. Rev it to you feel it loaded and then off and on really fast. Will come right up. In second I'll use the clutch if you want to call it that. Get it loaded tap the clutch while rolling off and on and you are up and away. You're on a R6 so you shouldn't have to pull on it at all.

Be very careful with the way you are doing it. Keep your foot ready for that rear brake. Clutching it is a very easy way to loop it in my opinion.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Endochic your r6 should come right up when you clutch your wheelies in 1st. It should jump up to the balance point quickly. You just need to pull the clutch in barely til your rpm rises. If not then try to increase your rpms. I had a gsxr600 and I had to be doing like 11k rpm before the front comes up but my 636 makes wheelies effortless at like 5k. You don't need to bounce your bike unless you are doing highway shit.
I've learned sit downs but starting to feel comfortable with stand ups but I still suck.
For sure always cover your rear brake and don't chop the throttle.
Remember you haven't wheelied til you looped :)

·
Banned
137 Posts
I would stay away from pow pow power whoolies since it's kinda hard to predict how high you go... sometimes over. Use the clutch because it lets your rpm drop then you control the throttle to ride your wheelies out.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Because I am all that is man I will answer here too:

I never wheelie in first - never did on my R6 either. Just about any modern bike over 500ccs (Or 250 if you're a skinny li'l thang) will come up in first.

2nd gear on my R6 I bought it up to about 8500-9000RPMS, Pulled in the clutch just enough to get it slipping, and wacked it to about 12-13k and almost at the same time, let the clutch almost come all the way out. Now with the new R6, you might be able to start lower in the RPMs and only have to run it up to 10-11. But I"m not sure. See on the Mille I can do it from 3500. :D

The way you control how fast and smooth it comes up is with a combination of slight throttle input and letting the clutch slip in and out.

The only down side to this is that you might run out of steam pretty quick unless you can balance it at like what, 60-70 MPH?

Then when you good at running those to redline, you can try shifing. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried it today and I think I got whiplash :eek:nfloor the pow-pow-powa wheelies kill me :eek:nfloor I'm gonna keep on working on clutchin it. I need to find a parking lot though. Doing 2nd gear on the interstate seems to piss people off :urowned I did wait until I didn't have people around me before I did anything but I kept trying and trying and soon people were behind me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I just thought of something. I'm gonna tape myself and try to get the RPMs in the video, then show you. Maybe that way you can give me tips. I forgot all about my tank mount. I do need to find a part first before I can attach my camera.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Kristin - I learned at the the CPCC parking lot off 485 'n 74. Or, if you're over in the Rea Rd. area, there's a nice long strip of abandoned road off Elm Ln.

B

·
Registered
801 Posts
EndoChic said:
cool thanks B
Don't mention it. Is your R6 stock (i.e gearing wise)? The way I learned was like this:

1. Get going around 15-20 mph and keep the throttle steady.

2. Using 1 or 2 fingers, pull the clutch in just to the point were you feel it disengage and you hear/feel the rpms rise. Keep the throttle steady.

3. As the rpms come up, dump the clutch and the front wil hop off the ground and rise fairly predicable and smooth.

When first learning, only let the motor gain a thousand or so rpms to get the feel on how quick the front would come up. I started around 4,000-6,000 before dropping clutch. This let the front come up quick and felt more like a power wheelie.

I hope this helps.

Brett

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
madman748 said:
Don't mention it. Is your R6 stock (i.e gearing wise)? The way I learned was like this:

2. Using 1 or 2 fingers, pull the clutch in just to the point were you feel it disengage and you hear/feel the rpms rise. Keep the throttle steady.

3. As the rpms come up, dump the clutch and the front wil hop off the ground and rise fairly predicable and smooth.

When first learning, only let the motor gain a thousand or so rpms to get the feel on how quick the front would come up. I started around 4,000-6,000 before dropping clutch. This let the front come up quick and felt more like a power wheelie.

I hope this helps.

Brett

Is this in first or second gear?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
So what is wrong with powering it up? On the 500 if I clutched a wheelie in first the damn thing would come up smooth til about 9 o clock and then abrubtly come up way too fast and I would freak out at 11 o clock and dump the throttle....I never felt comfortable with it....
On the 650 if I crank the throttle then let go and then crank again, that front wheel comes right on up in a nice smooth manner....I still freak out but it feels a lot better than clutching it....this is in first also....

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Finsl said:
Put that other frame slider on Kristin before you start doing that shit!! :cheers
No Doubt...don't wanna ruin that purty bike...Thats one thing I instantly put on my new bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
kazlab67 said:
So what is wrong with powering it up? On the 500 if I clutched a wheelie in first the damn thing would come up smooth til about 9 o clock and then abrubtly come up way too fast and I would freak out at 11 o clock and dump the throttle....I never felt comfortable with it....
On the 650 if I crank the throttle then let go and then crank again, that front wheel comes right on up in a nice smooth manner....I still freak out but it feels a lot better than clutching it....this is in first also....
I hear a lot of people say that they don't like powering it up in first gear because it's unpredictable. For me it's the opposite. In first I know exactly how it's going to react when doing a power wheeler as opposied to the clutch. Maybe it's just my f4i.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
madman748 said:

I hope this helps.

Brett
Yeah its stock gearing. Thanks for the tips. Do you live in South Charlotte? Do you ever ride street still?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finsl said:
Put that other frame slider on Kristin before you start doing that shit!! :cheers
Yeah I broke down and ordered the bolt from Vortex Racing. Ended up costing about $9.00, that's including shipping. The sales guy said he'd even throw me in a catalog for free. I was like uhhh those are free with every order anyway retard. :bitchslap The bolt should be here tomorrow at the latest.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kristin 1st gear roll ons should be the easiest/best method. I'm in the learning stages myself and can't imagine clutching it up compared to just whacking the throttle. At least with roll ons if it doesn't come up give it a little more until it is coming up nice. Seems like a bit off a safeguard vs. clutching it and hoping you don't loop it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts