Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just signed up because I am considering buying a used 2002 Yamaha R1 (yes I have years of experience with bikes, although not as powerful as a 1000cc) for daily use since I have no car at the moment.

What apparel is great for a safer ride, besides helmet, gloves, and a leather jacket?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get some dedicated race motorcycle boots, if u go down they'll protect your ankles and feet extremely well. Brands to look at would be alpinestars, sidi maybe puma (not icon "fashion boots" that look like hightops or timbalands). The sidi fusion is a great entry level boot that is comfortable and $200 new. I have a pair that I have gone down (once at 50mph) in them twice and they are still 100% minus a few scuffs and scratchs.

Next would be pants leather that zips to your jacket is best, but since ur commuting textile overpants or possiblly riding jeans (I've heard good things about draggin brand) might suit you. They're better road rash protection than normal jeans, although I will say I have zero exp. using either as I ride in a 2 piece suit nearly anytime I ride.

Hunt craiglist often as these will come up fairly frequently, I found my sidi fusion boots brand new for $70 cuz they didn't fit the seller. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
971 Posts
Pants and boots. If you're using it as a daily driver and you commute, get a pair of over pants, probably mesh with armor, that you can wear over your work or street clothes.

For boots, you want something over the ankle. Lots of folks will say go with a sport rider boot with built in armor. Myself, I tend to wear engineer boots or an over the ankle heavy leather work boot. Having had a 600+ pound hog pin my foot to the ground with the peg in an accident, I can tell you that wearing anything less than a heavy leather boot is completely stupid. I was wearing tanker boots at the time, and that shit hurt like hell, but nothing broke and I walked away. Sneakers, running shoes, or flip flops, and you'd be fucked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking jeans and jacket above my shirt along with some riding gloves, but im not too sure as to what kind of shoes to get.

I'll be using it to go to college which is less than a mile away, so are there any stylish shoes that are not boots?

probably a stupid suggestion, but are there any pumas safe enough for motorcycle riding?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ask yourself this question: 'would I choose to wear these pumas and drop 300 pounds on them concentrated into a 1" by 1" square?'

Whatever you answer is the answer to your question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ask yourself this question: 'would I choose to wear these pumas and drop 300 pounds on them concentrated into a 1" by 1" square?'

Whatever you answer is the answer to your question.
lol ok

can anyone link me to a site? I need something that looks good with jeans since I will be riding to college and then attending classes on those shoes

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Honestly, if you are going to school and willing to accept the risk, wear tennis shoes.

Gear depends simply on if you're going to wear it. You can buy the best race boots out there, but if you don't wear them then it gets you no where but wasted money.

As far as gear, check out Hazardous Racing For some great products in regards to jackets. They are very comfortable, and you can get them in your custom size so that you know it will fit well and stylish whenever riding to class.

Reactions: Alfredo24PR

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Puma makes motorcycle boots, I just bought a pair of their sport touring boots, haven't gotten them yet, but they are very highly rated and on clearance from RevZilla.

I have always just worn leather tactical boots from work when riding. They are what I always wear on my feet when I'm not wearing shorts so it was no big deal to me.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm currently running fieldsheer mesh/textile over pants with armor for the summer. A pair of alpinestar smx plus that I got for a steal and a leather icon Daytona retro jacket that I also stole for the price of $75.

The best "bang for your buck" that I found is the Joe rocket survivor suit. Reviews seem excellent and the only thing better in the one piece textile suit market is a acrostich. I think the going price is $310 + shipping.

Most major brands are going to be good buys. I went down 3ish time with my old fieldsheer razor jacket and it's still in good condition. My old pair of a* smx plus boots were beat to crap when I got them used and still held up fine in my 35 mph low slide. What ever brand you go with will Deff be better then combat boots and jeans. (brother did that combo and ended up with a broken leg, left hand knuckles skinned to the bone and 1-2 foot of road rash on his right leg.....and he went down at 20).

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've bought a fair amount of gear from these folks over the years => MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!

(They used to be called 'NewEnough' because they sold used Vanson leathers.)

Pants, I'd go with these or something like them => Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Pants :: MotorcycleGear.com

I've got an earlier version of those Phoenix pants that I've worn as an overpant when commuting to work.

That site sells boots as well. Depending on the brand they've usually got good prices. And they often have closeout gear for a great price. There are other good dealers as well, but that's the place I check first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You have years of riding experience but you don't know what gear to get? You're buying an R1 to ride less than a mile to school?

I don't believe a word you're saying. Buy a pair of tennis shoes and walk to school.

KeS
years of experience with dirt bikes.
also 1 mile with uphills and also need it for a 1.5 hr trip back home, but I will use full gear for that.

Just asking for gear to go to college and back.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Purchase a dedicated track suit. Then walk the one mile to school and ride the bike evenings and weekends on the twisty roads on the mountains for fun.

If you really want a bike to commute one mile get a scooter. The R1 won't even be warmed up by then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Purchase a dedicated track suit. Then walk the one mile to school and ride the bike evenings and weekends on the twisty roads on the mountains for fun.

If you really want a bike to commute one mile get a scooter. The R1 won't even be warmed up by then.
I cant get a scooter and an R1, I need a street bike for long highway drives and to go around while in town.

·
Registered
971 Posts
21 year old college student without a garage keeping the bike at school and not holding a motorcycle license for more than a year, insurance is likely to kill you on an R1.

There are lots of other bikes that may be a better fit for you. If you're hellbent on a literbike, get an older one (94-03) and the insurance should be better. Honestly, something like a CB 750 Nighthawk would make a better mount until you're out of school. Better seat for strapping groceries to and it won't break your heart when someone on campus or at your apartment/dorm nails it while parked. Buy the R1 once you're out of school.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
21 year old college student without a garage keeping the bike at school and not holding a motorcycle license for more than a year, insurance is likely to kill you on an R1.

There are lots of other bikes that may be a better fit for you. If you're hellbent on a literbike, get an older one (94-03) and the insurance should be better. Honestly, something like a CB 750 Nighthawk would make a better mount until you're out of school. Better seat for strapping groceries to and it won't break your heart when someone on campus or at your apartment/dorm nails it while parked. Buy the R1 once you're out of school.
thinking of an R6 instead, its just that the R1 are about $1k cheaper. Found a 2004 R6 for $4000 though.

The R1 I was looking at was a 2002 @ $3000.

Dont really need to get insurance other than the compulsory one, besides I will use that bike for a max of 1 year before I get a new car.

Not sure if the R6 would be a better pick for me. Would have to test drive them both I guess.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The best "bang for your buck" that I found is the Joe rocket survivor suit. Reviews seem excellent and the only thing better in the one piece textile suit market is a acrostich. I think the going price is $310 + shipping.

i think you meant AEROSTICH. i have their 2 pc and LOVE IT! jacket is really showing it's age after about 70k miles. a lil spendy, but if you want to pack everything but the kitchen sink, that's your suit.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dont really need to get insurance other than the compulsory one, besides I will use that bike for a max of 1 year before I get a new car.
I'd seriously rethink that, especially if you're about to lay out 4K for a bike.

I assume you're living in an apartment or somewhere that you have to keep the bike outside 100% of the time. Bikes, especially lightweight ones like a 600 or 1000cc supersport, are very easy to steal. All it takes is two or three folks to pull up with a van or pickup truck, and they can lift your bike and be gone in a minute or two. Your typical disc lock won't prevent this, and the chances it'll be recovered are pretty slim because it'll be parted out on eBay in just a few days.

So before you pass on insurance beyond liability, make sure you'll be OK with a 4 thousand dollar loss one night when you're not out riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd seriously rethink that, especially if you're about to lay out 4K for a bike.

I assume you're living in an apartment or somewhere that you have to keep the bike outside 100% of the time. Bikes, especially lightweight ones like a 600 or 1000cc supersport, are very easy to steal. All it takes is two or three folks to pull up with a van or pickup truck, and they can lift your bike and be gone in a minute or two. Your typical disc lock won't prevent this, and the chances it'll be recovered are pretty slim because it'll be parted out on eBay in just a few days.

So before you pass on insurance beyond liability, make sure you'll be OK with a 4 thousand dollar loss one night when you're not out riding.
apartment complex with underground parking and security cameras, but I will still take at look at insurance rates just in case.

Thats why I dont want to give up $4000 for an R6 and would rather just get an R1 for $3000 but idk about the power.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts