Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after using a backpack I wish to never do that again, haha. Just wondering what saddlebags/tail bag set ups you guys use and how you like them. I was checking out newenough and I'm liking the Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Sport Saddle Bags.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have the sport saddlebags and tail bag. I like them a lot. I don't think you can get anything better for the money.

The tail bag i have no complaints about, but the saddlebags would be a little nicer if they expanded like the tail bag. My girlfriend has expanding saddlebags, and it's nice when you need that little bit of extra room.

That being said, I am looking at getting hard cases. I just want the peace of mind of being able to lock my gear up when out doing errands and having something that is actually waterproof.

I'll be keeping the soft stuff, though- just in case. I think I only paid 110 bucks for both parts. Got them used from a guy on here, but they were in mint condition.

Oh- and for what it's worth, the woman also has an Oxford tank and tail bag.... and those things are WAAAAAAAY nicer than the Cortech stuff. About twice the price.... but WOW.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have nelson riggs saddlebaggs, as they are the only ones out there I could find for use with Undetail Exhaust. No melting, no rubbing, they have a neoprene sheet on the back (about 1/2 Inch thick) to keep them from melting. I love them, and although they look dorky, they rarely leave my bike as I really don't care.... I can carry stuff!

·
Registered
648 Posts
i've got the nelson rig saddle bags and tail pack too. had them about 5yrs. i really like them.

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
My Cortechs did wonders with my XT. Plenty of space and the rain covers worked well. Never had a problem with heat, though I had a fair amount of space between the exhaust. It's good to be sure you have a good way to mount stuff before buying...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks nice. Right now I have a Heine Gericke tank bag and saddlebags. I like the convienence of the magnetic tank bag, but it does get in the way now and then when I want to hit some curves. It has a double-stack ability, but I only did that once! Hell, I could sit my chin on it - and forget about seeing the guages! I've been keeping my eyes out for some type of tail bag as well. I have the Covercraft half-cover and it won't fit around the saddlebags when I park at work so they only go on when I need them.

·
I Hate Cold Roads
991 Posts
Suzuki owners, gsxr's in particular, be careful of the handle on the cortech sport tailbags. The handle of it bounces up and down, hitting the tail section, leaving marks on the tail, especially on long rides. Not easily cleaned or buffed out. A person on youtube, explaining how to mount that same tailbag, said it happened to her but she just moved it more forward. I just tied a string to it so it wouldn't move. Otherwise, I love the tailbag. I mount the bag with the bungee cords connected together under the seat. Doesn't move at all even at high speeds, very secure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up the set of dowco luggage off of Motorcyclesuperstore.com $119.00 for a pair of saddlebags, Tail bag, and tank bag. For the money I couldn't find anything better. They seem to be very well made other nice feature is the built in rain fly.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I've got the cheap Dowco tank bag. It gets the job done, but it doesn't hold its shape at all when empty. It does have a lot of storage room in it though, and it's got the clear pocket on top for maps. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the cheaper Dowco tail and saddlebags or ante up more money for the better set or Cortech yet. I'm getting an FJR next year so I don't want to spend too much on soft luggage right now... Also, have any of you checked out any of the bagsconnection stuff at twistedthrottle.com? Looks like great stuff.

One more thing, anybody had any trouble with magnetic tank bags and digital cameras, cell phones, etc...? I've heard the magnets are strong enough to erase the storage drives... true or urban legend?

·
Registered
441 Posts
The only problem I've had with my magnetic tank bag is me not thinking about it and tossing my wallet in there.... good bye credit cards (it did take a few times for it to happen, but I replaced all my cards once before I realized how stupid I was being)

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
I've never had problems with my credit/debit cards or camera with my magentic tank bag.

I have an old Cortech full set that works really well. Space doesn't matter nearly as much as packing skills. You have to know what not to pack to get everything to fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Anthony,
I'm new both to this forum and to motorcycles!
Nice looking bike you got there.
Do you mind if I ask where you purchased your Cortech bags setup? and is there a model number or anything if I want to get that same setup?
Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts