Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a local BMW dealer today to check out a stock S1000RR they had in stock. I had not yet seen one in person for more than a second or two....

I was surprised to find out that they come with conventional oil in the engine and DO NOT recommend changing to full synthetic......ever. The salesman told me the earliest BMW recommends you MAY change to synthetic oil is at 12,000K miles.

I can understand the argument of breaking in an engine with conventional oil and then going to synthetic but I cant understand an engine like a BMW going with conventional oil at all.

Don't BMW cars come with Mobil 1 from the factory?

Why don't they follow suit with the motorcycle engines?

Discuss.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
the bmw cars come with a Castrol synthetic 5w-30 that is imported from germany. it's really more like a 5w-40. I would have assumed that that bike would take the same oil as their M cars, which is a Castrol TWS Motorsports 20w60 racing oil, but in a motorcycle acceptable form. :shrug:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bullshit. The bike comes with a break-in oil, which is god knows what, but the first change is at 600 miles, and the recommended oil is Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40 per the manual, which is a full synthetic.

Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T : Castrol Moto

KeS
+1. I use the Castrol RS R4 oil in mine. But still a full synthetic. Castrol USA - Castrol Power RS Racing 4T

OP, I'd say the salesman you talked to doesn't really have much of a clue about the bike he's trying to sell sadly.

Shane

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that's why I asked here.

Seems you guy's know more about the bike than the salesman. Sad, considering lately all he has to do is sit around waiting for the one customer a week to come in.

I'd be reading no studying everything I could get my hands on to learn everything I could about every product I could sell....

But that's me...

When he said no synthetic oil till at least 12K miles, lightbulbs and red flags went off all over the place. I thought, this is a BMW that red lines at what 14 or 15 K RPM's and they're not reccomending synthetic oil???

WTF?

Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts