Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference? and why cant i find a dealership that sells a vtr thats not a superhawk?

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
from what I understand the RVT1000 is a little b***** engine and more designed with racing in mind... I love my RC51

·
Registered
39 Posts
are you looking in the states? i *think* the non-hawk VTR (rc, firestorm) is only sold overseas and the only vtr that's here is the super hawk.

·
Registered
495 Posts
VTR1000F's are known in the US as Superhawks.
RVT1000R is the RC-51 here in the US, and known as the VTR1000SP-1 and SP-2 elsewhere in the world.
Honda makes a VTR250 for the rest of the world. The US hasn't seen them since the late 80's early 90's.

The SuperHawk is a 996cc-carbureted motor with about 100HP to the rear tire. It weighs about 480 lbs wet and is an excellent street bike. The suspension is a little flimsy, but works well enough on the street with sane riding styles. These motors produce good midrange power and are very linear. These bikes are essentially the same as when they came to market in '98 with only a very slight cosmetic update in 2001.

The RC-51 is a 999cc fuel injected motor with about 120HP to the rear tire. It weighs about 490lbs wet. It is a much more race-oriented machine with good suspension. These motors are slightly more peaky, with power at higher rpm's. The SP1 is 2000-2001 models. The updated SP-2 started in 2002 and continues today.

Both bikes run hot, have plenty of torque, and smooth power curves. They also have tall first gears, which can be a pain in slower corners. Neither one has been excellent sellers for Honda, so most dealerships may only have one of each on the floor.

Feel free to ask for clarification.
And anyone else feel free to disagree or add anything to my observations...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts