Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rotors are starting to show surface rust, should I bother doing anything about it to improve the appearance?

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
spray brake cleaner on it

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I was just getting ready to replace the rotors on my cage, I happen to have some great brake cleaner on hand. Not sure why it didn't occur to me, I was thinking more along the lines of steel wool or something but perhaps that would do more damage than good.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI, spray some WD40 into the screw holes on your bar ends... I noticed a bit of rust residue already forming in there too, apparently they didn't bother putting galvanized fasteners in there... how I wish I had a garage... :(

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
A light cross sanding with a coarse sandpaper to the rotor just to take the glaze off is also prudent before cleaning.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I figure screw it. They just look like crap shortly after cleaning them. Mine really don't get rusty though either. I park in a garage at home and a parking garage at work.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Check this out...

If you ride often enough, rust will not form on the rotors due to the brake pads rubbing anything off. :p

Really, rusty rotors will not hurt anything. The first time you apply your brakes, it'll wipe off.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Binary Jay said:
My rotors are starting to show surface rust, should I bother doing anything about it to improve the appearance?

Ride It! I went out today to roll my bike out and noticed a snall amount of surface rust. I rode it and I am sure the rust is gone now.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
yeah mine get some rust on them and was concerned about it too being my first bike and dont know much about mantinance on it. but was told if you dont ride it a lot it will happen. like was said before the next time you ride the first time you apply your brakes it will come off and no harm is done. so dont worry bout it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a few days since I've ridden because the weather has been very nasty. I guess that, combined with the bike being outside (covered, though I doubt that does a world of good to keep the moisture out in the rain) and the fact that I just hosed the bike down to wash it before I parked it for a few days straight is what's causing all the oxidation.

Rust sucks.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
doesnt matter if its outside mine is always garaged and not much rain here in az if any at all. when i see it it just begs to be riden. talking bout rust do any of you have rust on the shaft that holds the swingarm to the frame?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
redoliander said:
doesnt matter if its outside mine is always garaged and not much rain here in az if any at all. when i see it it just begs to be riden. talking bout rust do any of you have rust on the shaft that holds the swingarm to the frame?
Spray silicone on non-moving parts to protect from rust. I even spray the whole engine with it. But, ESPECIALLY NOT THE ROTORS!!!!:)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
redoliander said:
I shot a lot of WD40 in there and continue to do it every time I wash, so far so good.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Over everything?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts