Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering who out there has used these products for painting their engine. Any suggestions as to which one is better? I found the Rustoleum stuff at Walmart so for convenience sake I might just go with that.

Also for those who have done it, do you pull the engine apart and spray each piece one at a time, or just spray the whole engine in one pass? I would assume if I just spray the whole engine that I should be able to break the bolts free if I need to work on it...

Thanks for any suggestions

· Live to ride
12,016 Posts
what hastings are you from?

· Registered
1,255 Posts
Use Rustoleum its better paint. Make sure it is gas/oil/heat resistant.

I've never painted a bike engine but I have painted a couple vavle covers on cars I pulled them off. I had to replace the gaskets so it was win-win.

Don't pull your engine off or take anything apart.

First warm the engine up hot. Then gunk it using a motor gunk from a auto parts store then wash it down. Wash It good, dry it, mask off what you don't want to paint and spray what's unmasked.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am from Hastings, MN.

Any thoughts on using primer? They make an high heat engine primer, not sure if its worth doing.

Here is where I am at right now with the bike...(the blue line is a bar that i need to remove, the red line is where I want to chop)

And here is a photoshopped image of where I'm thinking of taking it

· Registered
1,255 Posts
I love street fighters :)

Use the high heat primer. Reguler paint on bare metel will chip and flake. Primer will hold it on for the life of the bike if done proper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.