Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was coming up on a bike along the side of the road and the rider started running with the bike. I watched in the mirror as he jumped on and rode away. Im assuming thats how he started it. How do you start a bike by running with it and can you do it with any bike dirt bike, sportbike, etc.?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
"BUMP" starting.......get the bike into second gear, have the ignition on, squeeze the clutch, start running.........

as you get going pretty quick, jump on the seat(providing rear traction) and release the clutch in quick succesion.....hopefull staring the engine..

if not do again.....much harder on a v-twin then I4

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
My battery died a couple of times so I had to do this. Just do exactly what he said. Don't do it in first gear. The first time I did it I did it in first and almost pulled a wheelie when it started.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i could bump start my Bandit600 with ease, and even my buddies cbr600f3, but my TLR, forget about it. unless you have a big hill to roll down, good luck.

matt

·
Registered
912 Posts
did it all the time on my old 750(bad battery)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had bump start my bike for a week or so when the battery died. I used 4th gear and just did it on a hill so I didn't have to jump on the bike.

·
Registered
981 Posts
just like push starting a car (manual, not auto). just gotta do it in 2nd gear cuz of that 1st blast of power :D :lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is easier if you have a friend to push it for you rather than having to run with it, but it can be done. It causes the electrical system to charge from the alternator or regulator brushes turning while the bike is moition. Get the pistons pumping to add a little fuel to the spark and presto, engine is running. Same principal as pull starting your lawnmower or kickstarting a dirt bike.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Same as popping the clutch in a manual car. Hills are handy for that. I have a nice skid mark in my driveway from when my bike's battery died and we tried to rollstart it--a testament to engine breaking.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I can remember the good ol days when street bikes came with kick-starters (at least I never had a hand-crank car). BTW you can push start an automatic car at about 35mph.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
How's that, Ghost? There's no clutch to let out, so I don't see how you would do so.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hagios said:
How's that, Ghost? There's no clutch to let out, so I don't see how you would do so.
Just put it in gear and get a friend to push you bumper to bumper(an old tire helps limit the damage). The torque converter works in reverse and starts the engine. I've done it in a old chrysler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
they do it all the time in motogp. their bikes don't have starters. when they have a spill. if there aren't corner workers helping, they do it themselves

1 - 13 of 13 Posts