Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing Kawagirl's little intake mod and removing the screen from my air filter, I am wondering if the bike is running a little lean. It seems to pop a little when I am at cruising speeds and be a bit sluggish, but it is strong when I am on the throttle hard.

Did you have any problems, Kawagirl?

What do the rest of you think?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Synthetic, I have not had any problems, but I get the popping when I am slowing down and "blip" the throttle while down shifting...I never thought anything of it because it sounds cool LOL. But I set my jets to run rich for Tucson altitude so when I am up here in Sierra vista she does run a bit leaner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, I don't know, I think I am due for a valve adjustment, maybe I should have my jets looked at too. I just don't want to spend a fortune.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
What would that do? Higher octane gas than required will only make you lose power. If its not pinging or knocking, then dont change octane ratings..

Any specific rpm range that it pops??
Try hold steady rpm around 5-6k or so and see if it feels like its bucking and surging. If so then yes your probably lean. U might try turning the mixture screws out maybe a half turn or so. If that doesnt do it then your probably gonna have to get into the carbs and fiddle with jets and needles..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are these mixture screws? By bucking and surging you mean like pullling then letting off without me actually changing the throttle pressure?

Speaking of octanes, what do you guys run? I usually run 89 (Mid-Grade).

Is it hurting my engine if it's running a little bit lean?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I run 91 thats the highest around here, in you kaw book the that came with the bike , it says to run 91 in the bike

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about those mixture screws? where are they? Or should I just adjust the idle adjust on the side of the bike, won't that richen the mix a bit?

·
Registered
475 Posts
No, the idle adjuster does just that - it adjusts the idle stop screw and just raises or lowers the amount of throttle that's being given when you're not twisting the grip.

The mixture screws are under little metal caps on the underside of each carb. You'll need to remove the carb assembly, drill each cap with a small drill bit (like 1/16"), screw in a small self-tapping screw and yank each cover off. Then you can get to the mixture screws. 2 turns out from fully seated is a good starting point, then go from there. If I remember correctly, turning the screws in will lean the mixture, turning them out will richen the mixture.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I might be beter off having someone more experienced do something like that? What kind of dangeris my bike in if it's running a LITTLE bit lean? I am not even sure it is running lean, because it feels fine (no bucking and surging--the small amount there is occurs in LOW RPM ranges), it just seems sluggish in some areas now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts