Sport Bikes banner

Run or Stop???

9K views 219 replies 86 participants last post by  OFFICER737 
#1 ·
Ok at what point (as in mph over the speed limit) do you decide to run and when to stop?

I know I just stopped doing 73 in a 50 (was in excess of 105 before he saw me...i was passing on a long straight) started braking as i saw cop car as i crested the hill...he flipped the lights as he passed me...I started to downshift to run ...saw i was 20 miles from home...and immediately pulled over. I got a 55 in a 50, was not wrote up for not having my insurance or reg with me, and he told me to fight the ticket and if my record is good he'll reduce it to impeeding traffic (just fine no points doesnt even show in record).

But at what point would you run and when would you pull over...honestly?

#2 ·
Ok, 73 in a 50, I'd prolly pull over, depending on circumstances. If it's broad daylight and there's traffic, definately stop. If it's 3am on the freeway and it's some prick on the side of the road with a laser gun, no way, I downshift and take off. I had a cop turn around to follow me the other night. I was doing a wheelie about 200 yards from the freeway onramp, I saw about 100 yards behind me a cop slam on the brakes and pull a U-turn to follow me. That was another one where I hit the Onramp and rode to redline through 4 gears. There was no way he could even see which way I was gonna go. But daytime, if you're only mildly speeding, always pull over. I find usually cops are leinent if you just do what they ask, (or maybe it's just me since I'm such a nice guy)

#3 ·
I ran from the cops in my drag car when I was street racing. However, would not even think about it now, even if I had a sprot bike! I guess enough time has past, that I'm not trying to eat the road!

J

#4 ·
Just got my liscense back from suspension due to fleeing. Don't recommend it, its not worth the risk.

#6 ·
djt81185 said:
Ok at what point (as in mph over the speed limit) do you decide to run and when to stop?

I know I just stopped doing 73 in a 50 (was in excess of 105 before he saw me...i was passing on a long straight) started braking as i saw cop car as i crested the hill...he flipped the lights as he passed me...I started to downshift to run ...saw i was 20 miles from home...and immediately pulled over. I got a 55 in a 50, was not wrote up for not having my insurance or reg with me, and he told me to fight the ticket and if my record is good he'll reduce it to impeeding traffic (just fine no points doesnt even show in record).

But at what point would you run and when would you pull over...honestly?
Idiot. :bitchslap

You stop when a police officer signals you to stop! What the heck is wrong with you? Yes you have a vehicle that could a run at an Apache but you NEVER run from the cops. By running from the cops you're doing a disservice to the image of the sport.

This forum is not dedicated to breaking the law. Take it to one of those "stunnaz" sites. If you want to run that hard take it to the track.

#7 ·
mikem317 said:
Idiot. :bitchslap

You stop when a police officer signals you to stop! What the heck is wrong with you? Yes you have a vehicle that could a run at an Apache but you NEVER run from the cops. By running from the cops you're doing a disservice to the image of the sport.

This forum is not dedicated to breaking the law. Take it to one of those "stunnaz" sites. If you want to run that hard take it to the track.
:cry :cry

#8 ·
I'd rather take the hit on my license points than take the hit in my ass during a prison stay

#11 ·
I got kids now, so that keeps me from being too stupid, But ive passed cops in the side at 80+ and The temptation is hard. Ive hit the gas and passed 2-4 officers in the past at 100+ and they never persued. My point is I would not run to get away but if hitting 100-140 on a deserted hiway will keep them from following..... it's a hard habbit to break.
I broke my habbit with a reckless driving ticket. 6points, and getting down to 4 points left. that and my licence is my job now. Clean record for 7+ years now.

Cudos to all Cops. I respect ya, I support ya, But I don't like you behind me!

#12 ·
Id only run if I was already clocked for like 170 or so, and already had a mile distance in which I could just get out of sight.

But too bad I wouldnt do that on the road, so no running for me. It's not really worth it to run unless your butt's going to jail anyway, and in that case I hope you get away, because you'll be in even deeper shit if you get caught. Even worse you could die.

Personally I think in high speed pursuit the LEO is putting the public in much more danger then if they'd just let go of their ego and say "it's not worth it". If there was a no-chase policy in PA, I'd still pull over.

#14 ·
I don't consider it running if, say, they're on the other side of the highway travelling in the opposite direction, I'd just continue on my way as if nothing happened. I might take a different exit than originally planned, but would obey all traffic laws as to stay out of further trouble and help my, "I honestly didn't see you", defense.

Obviously, making eye contact or doing the 180 helmet turn to see if they're coming after you or not doesn't help.

I admit I'm a straight up speeder (10 over on the highways is normal for me), but I refuse to weave in and out to do it and that usually helps me stay unnoticed.

#16 ·
You ONLY run if you're good enough not to get caught...

you have your escape route planned....

and know EXACTLY how much fuel you have to burn if your route doesn't work out....

I used to stop for them... but, I can't remember a SINGLE time they've "helped" me out of any type of bad situation ever. Like a buddy of mine once said, "why do you want to stop and talk to them for? it's not like they need to tell you something good!!".

So, two options: a) get REAL REAL REAL good at riding, know EVERYTHING about the environment you're in or b) pull over and pray....

just remember, you can NEVER out-run a radio....

#17 · (Edited)
Punkwood2k said:
I'd rather take the hit on my license points than take the hit in my ass during a prison stay
+1 and thats exactally what i did. It's just not worth it. I got pulled over the other day and i didnt run. I was talking to a couple of my buddies and one said "You gotta learn how to ride, you could have easily ran and gotten away" :rolleyes It's just not worth it in my eyes.

EDIT - You can be a good rider and at the same time be a stupid rider. Just because you can run and get away doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If anything it wil make someone that much more cocky and next time maybe even push it more and more untill eventually it catches up to them. I still say it's not worth it. If you use your head and ride right in the first place then you won't be putting yourself in a situation to have to run.

#18 ·
Oh... and btw - cops should have something better to do with their time.... like track down Bin Laden or stop some serial child rapist or chase down real bank robbers or murderers or escaped convicts....

I mean, the list of "better shit to do" can really go on just about forever...

#20 ·
I may go for the "I didn't see you" excuse for not stopping right away but I won't run. Speeding with no pursuit is dangerous under the best of circumstances (you can pick where, how fast, and how long you want to do it still taking into consideration the surroundings and road conditions). Once you decide to out and out run, all control is lost and you are destined to one of three outcomes:
One: give up after a short pursuit, go to jail.
Two: You get away.
Three: You crash. Then you go to jail (at best).
The length of jail time/guilt is the other scary variable, because God forbid you cause injury or death to someone else, such as a pursuing officer or another driver/pedestrian. If you do, pack a toothbrush and the soap on a rope 'cause you're going on vacation.

#21 ·
J0HNK said:
Oh... and btw - cops should have something better to do with their time.... like track down Bin Laden or stop some serial child rapist or chase down real bank robbers or murderers or escaped convicts....

I mean, the list of "better shit to do" can really go on just about forever...

Well if Bin Laden comes to America we will try and something people tend to forget is that law enforcement is a reactive job, we react to what others do. As far as catching bank robbers and child rapists?? There is approx. 800,000 officers on the streets and how many citizens are there?? Do the math. You are right about the fact you can't always outrun the radio, there is a saying " you may be able to outrun crown victoria but you can't outrun motorola". Would you encourage a rider to run from the police and crash into the vehicle carrying YOUR family and kill everyone?? Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to make a point. Last year we worked a traffic collision where a guy on a bike was running 115 and hit the back of a pick up truck, when his body hit the cab he was pretty much instant jello.

Now back on the topic......in my younger days I ran from the cops on more than 1 occassion, since then I have gotten a little smarter. My body doesn't heal quite as fast anymore. Plus I have worked at least 500 wrecks and have seen what can happen. These days I would not recommend running it's just not safe nor smart and many states have made it a felony to run from police by a vehicle. Plus, say you end up killing someone, do you really want to spend all those years in jail or out riding your bike? Someone mentioned that LEOs shouldn't pursue due to their ego. Remember, when a LEO pursues his life is also at risk and for the rider to start a high speed pursuit is the one placing someone's life in jeopardy, if no one else's their own. I get stupid on my bike from time to time and if I get caught then I get caught. I knew I was breaking the law when I did it so why bitch if I get caught? Pay the fine or safety school and go on.

#23 ·
OFFICER737 said:
Someone mentioned that LEOs shouldn't pursue due to their ego. Remember, when a LEO pursues his life is also at risk and for the rider to start a high speed pursuit is the one placing someone's life in jeopardy, if no one else's their own. I get stupid on my bike from time to time and if I get caught then I get caught. I knew I was breaking the law when I did it so why bitch if I get caught? Pay the fine or safety school and go on.
Remember I don't run from police. I know it's not smart.

Psychologists usually refer to the "fight or flight" mentality when talking about split second decisions involving sometimes whether to run, or whether to pursue. During these decisions ego most often prevails over logic. In the case of high speed pursuits, the ego of the officer more often than not dictates that the proper course of action is to actively speed after the offender, effectively exponentially increasing the level of risk associated with the original offense. In this instance, the officer is not saving lives, as much as he/she is putting them in jeopardy.

You need to ask yourself, next time. "If this person decides to run, what will the outcome be other than disaster?" "If I pursue, am I not more dangerous than the offender?" "Am I adding to the risk equation?" "Will this person be more or less dangerous if I decide to pursue?"

#24 ·
Ershank said:
Remember I don't run from police. I know it's not smart.

Psychologists usually refer to the "fight or flight" mentality when talking about split second decisions involving sometimes whether to run, or whether to pursue. During these decisions ego most often prevails over logic. In the case of high speed pursuits, the ego of the officer more often than not dictates that the proper course of action is to actively speed after the offender, effectively exponentially increasing the level of risk associated with the original offense. In this instance, the officer is not saving lives, as much as he/she is putting them in jeopardy.

You need to ask yourself, next time. "If this person decides to run, what will the outcome be other than disaster?" "If I pursue, am I not more dangerous than the offender?" "Am I adding to the risk equation?" "Will this person be more or less dangerous if I decide to pursue?"
Good post Ers! Here is a case that happened not too long ago. A deputy passed a car that was weaving down the road, the deputy turned around and activated his blue lights...the suspect vehicle sped off and the deputy ended the pursuit. 15 miles down the road the vehicle hit a family head on and killed everyone except himself. Now this is a true tragedy and the next was that the surviving family sued the deputy and his department and won a muilti million dollar law suit for the deputy failing to protect the public.

Currently most departments have a pursuit policy similar to this in effect: an officer may not pursue for minor traffic violations. Officer's may pursue fleeing suspects if they have reason to believe the suspect's escape poses significant danger to the public. Such offense may be violent felonies, DUI and crimes involving deadly weapons (hence several states have made the determination that a fleeing vehicle can be considered a deadly weapon). Officers must notify their direct on shift supervisor, dispatch and other officers of the incident, suspect information, road and traffic conditions as well as weather. A supervior may superceed the officer's decision and terminate the pursuit.

Currently not only is an officer responsible for their own actions but also that of a suspect in these situations. The most recent study pertaining to pursuits was conducted in 2001 and over a 10 year period the average number of people killed in pursuits averaged to 378 per year. Of those 265 were suspects, 40 were police officers involved and 83 were people not involved in the pursuit. In the same year approx. 66 officers were killed responding to calls for service and 318 were killed by suspects. According to the FBI Law Enforcement Training Academy approx. 300,000 pursuits a year occur across the U.S. and they go on to state the process an officer goes through at the onset of a pursuit: recognition of the crime, decision to attempt a traffic stop or not, safe vehicle operation by the officer, initiation of emergency lights and sirens, contact made with the radio dispact and informtion relayed, observation of road, traffic and weather conditions, safety to all involved (this is a 35 point list and not going to go throught them all).

#25 ·
OFFICER737 said:
A deputy passed a car that was weaving down the road, the deputy turned around and activated his blue lights...the suspect vehicle sped off and the deputy ended the pursuit. 15 miles down the road the vehicle hit a family head on and killed everyone except himself. Now this is a true tragedy and the next was that the surviving family sued the deputy and his department and won a muilti million dollar law suit for the deputy failing to protect the public.

Kinda a double edged sword for the police huh?

btw has anyone seen melinda on the new real world austin?????????
omg i can barely watch the show with my gf. my eyes glaze and i drool, especially in those boots.......... :cheers

#26 ·
i stopped last night but thats cause my friend was the one getting the ticked for a wheelie not me...i have ran before and will continue to only because im gonna ride fast and wheelie and just have fun...but i cant afford to pay for it, however when i am having fun it is normally on back roads out of harms way and away from other people

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.