Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the rubber on the shift peg?

The black rubber marks every shoe I have and looking more closely today, the rubber doesn't rotate but is fairly static. It's no wonder it leaves marks so badly.

My thought was if I could get the current rubber off, I can replace it with something like a black plastic part that would rotate (I work at an orthopedic company with a gigantic machine shop!) Has anyone tried taking the rubber off the shifter?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I presume it pulls off. Probably needs lubricating to do this - best to use mild soapy water.

I rotate mine occasionally to ensure even wear.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
I saw a product at a bike shop one time that was like a body glove cover for the shifter. I don't remember what it was called, it was something clever, but it was basically thin neoprene that covered the rubber. That might work for you?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
my boots are covered in rubber and road grime. they used to be tan, but are now black, with a little tan near the laces.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Get black boots. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
that could work, but i've got them already...sort of...they went through a color change...hmmm.

actually i'm too lazy and too poor to drop $100+ on new boots, when i can put that money toward new exhaust.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I wear all black, my boots are old anyways. I never noticed the shifter rubber wearing, but for some reason a week after I got the FZ I noticed that it looked like an animal had taken a big bite right out of the left hand side foot peg... it's all chewed up, no clue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My issue is I ride to work and sometime boots just aren't practical for me to wear.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
kneeforu said:
My issue is I ride to work and sometime boots just aren't practical for me to wear.

Understandable, but shattered ankles are seldom practical either.

I've got a Joe Rocket Velocity tail bag. It would easily fit a change of shoes, along with a bunch of other crap you might want to bring along. Gearing up can be a pain in the butt, but if you ever need it, you'll be glad you did it. Admittedly, some days I just don't feel like putting all the crap on... but given the possibilities, I do it anyway.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Binary Jay said:
...some reason a week after I got the FZ I noticed that it looked like an animal had taken a big bite right out of the left hand side foot peg... it's all chewed up, no clue.
Sorry.... that was me.

:Overlord *chomp chomp chomp*

:joke

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
biker6 said:
LOL - or Strongmad? "I want FZ shifterrr... I WANT FZ SHIFTERRRRR!!!!"

:lao Man, I'm picturing a new e-mail entitled "The Motorcycle". :eek:nfloor I'm e-mailing Strong Bad right now! :banana

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
High Heels and FZ6's.. <NICE>

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
crx81 said:
Understandable, but shattered ankles are seldom practical either.

I've got a Joe Rocket Velocity tail bag. It would easily fit a change of shoes, along with a bunch of other crap you might want to bring along. Gearing up can be a pain in the butt, but if you ever need it, you'll be glad you did it. Admittedly, some days I just don't feel like putting all the crap on... but given the possibilities, I do it anyway.
No doubt. Had a guy go down in an MSF class at about 10 mph. The bike landed on his ankle and shattered it. Pins, plates, the whole works. He had boots, but they only had thin elastic covering the ankle bone.

kneeforu - Just wrap some plastic wrap around it, or black electrical tape, or shrink wrap tubing. Or get some of those little covers for the toes of your shoes like these.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I carry running shoes with me to work in my backback.

kneeforu said:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey don't get on him.........I did it too?

I noticed my shifter cover was getting very worn and I rotated it. It sure is snug after all these miles. I was surprised how worn the inferior aspect of it was? Seems I'm light toed when it comes to downshifting?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
biker6 said:
I saw a product at a bike shop one time that was like a body glove cover for the shifter. I don't remember what it was called, it was something clever, but it was basically thin neoprene that covered the rubber. That might work for you?
I think they were called "shifter rubbers" I know I have heard that term used for them on other forums in the past...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts