Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm riding home just before sunset. Notice the tree branches moving and debris swirling ahead. FZ6 is doing a cool 65mph. Fog's rolling in from the west and I'm riding south. Whooosh, I get hit w. a gust of wind, right to left. Damn near pushes me into oncoming traffic [Not Good].
As I'm fighting to get her leaned into the wind, a stronger and more steady cross wind hits me. I'm leaning in pretty far at this point for someone who is still going straight. Then I start to get that sickening feeling :barf of front wheel traction loss.

Eased off the throttle, down to 45 or 50mph for a few miles finally 'cause it was just too stressful. But that isn't safe either as there's traffic behind...

Checked Tire Pressures when home and both were OK. So now I'm thinking that the rear suspension is not set up right for my 225lbs. Also, The front fork cartridges are not adjustable. I love the motor on this bike, but must say that the brakes are barely adequate at best. On hotter/longer rides I get quite a bit of brake fade. Maybe steel brake lines would help this?

·
Registered
354 Posts
It may have just been a bit of slippery crud on the road which can give you that "OH shit" feeling.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
When you have a spare $400 or so, consider putting the R6 forks and brakes on the front, and then ordering up some new fork springs appropriate for your weight. You'll get adjustability and better brakes.

And it probably was something on the road that cause the front tire to slip. Not much chance of that from the wind on a clean, dry road.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have stainless steel and they do help quite a bit. I still dont have as much as i would like, but i have no other motorcycle experience to compare brakes with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts