Sport Bikes banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Clueless Newbie
786 Posts
I think you should stop driving bikes and leave the 'window' alone. :twofinger

Pic is posted, he already has sliders.
If you take the MSF course then you will learn much more about correct riding technique AND how to not total your machine. What is it, 90% of crashes are riders who have not taken the MSF BRC? Correct me if I'm wrong.
+1

I would also humbly suggest that this guy still spend some time on a Ninja 250. That's a beautiful bike, and I would hate to see it get dropped (as most new riders, including myself at 500 miles, have done). Beyond that, you're also going to be able to learn throttle control, making turns, and navigating through traffic without worrying about a 100 hp engine.

·
Ridin 4 Fun
172 Posts
Hi everyone,

I want some feedback from the experienced riders.

I have never owned my own bike. I have rode with friends countless times. I understand the factors of lending into the corners and getting back on the gas.
I have driven friends bikes around neighborhoods, parking lots, etc. But never on the street.

Now its time for me to buy my own bike and take to the road!

I have been looking at a 1996 Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD. The seller is offering a free jacket and helmet. The bike has 25,000 miles. I was thinking that the bike is old enough that I can still take it easy and learn the road. Then, once I have mastered some basics, I can learn with some power.

I just keep reading on the forums that a new rider started off with a 250 ninja, and now wants something b*****. The price on the bike is a steal.

What do you think???
I think I live in in Charleston and I don't need to read about a fatal motorcycle accident. If you think riding in parking lots on someone else's ride gives you the experience you need, then I suggest you rent a 250 or 500 and take it to the Dragon about 1 1/2 hour west of asheville. Dude, you don't even know what you don't know at this point. I rode dirt bikes all my life, on and off rode and I had a wake up call in the mountains. Point is, you WILL wreck on a 750, because you DON'T know how to control it. You shouldn't even consider an inline 4 at this point. Besides, the roads where we live, just adds to the reason you shouldn't get a 750.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You probably read my thread about the 250 being slow... yeah it's slow, but that doesn't mean you should start out on a freakin 750ss. That 600 looks alright though. I don't know, I'm a noob lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ya I'm taking a MSF course next month. I have been spending alot of time with experienced riders. They been real helpful with improving my skill. I've had two "close ones" in the past few weeks. A jackass didn't look my way and I was ready for him because I could tell his dumb ass self wasn't paying attention. The other was getting a little sideways on some lose rock I didn't notice. I powered out and was fine.

But believe me, I hear the cries and concerns of you experienced riders out there. So I am taking a MSF course.

·
Registered
936 Posts
All I have to add is:

Seriously, learn proper motorcycle terminology. Now go drive your motorcycle and keep the rubber side down.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
BTW, I get one of the European bike magazines (*much* better than anything we have over here). They did a race test between an SRAD GSX-R750, a 2008, and I think a 2003. They were all within a couple of seconds of each other, one bike crashed, the more expert rider caught the guy on the SRAD just before the finish line. Point is, it's no more a beginner bike than a new one.

KeS

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1

I would also humbly suggest that this guy still spend some time on a Ninja 250. That's a beautiful bike, and I would hate to see it get dropped (as most new riders, including myself at 500 miles, have done). Beyond that, you're also going to be able to learn throttle control, making turns, and navigating through traffic without worrying about a 100 hp engine.
does kawi pay you guys to endorse the 250 or what?

·
Clueless Newbie
786 Posts
does kawi pay you guys to endorse the 250 or what?
Not in cash- dude, I work for a bank. They just pay me in the scalps of new riders who buy zzrs. As per popular belief, us bankers are all witches and warlocks and we need to cast spells to screw up the economy. Some of those spells call for "scalp of a person who behaves foolishly".

Before he does anything to the window, he should get a D-A-M-P-E-N-E-R, and learn to get good with the "gas handle"
I don't know about you, but my motorcycle comes replete with a fireplace. Good for those cold-weather rides.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Do do it.

free helmet and jacket does not make the "deal" sweeter. Do you really want to wear someone elses sweat lined helmet that could have been abused to all hell on your head?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I want some feedback from the experienced riders.

I have never owned my own bike. I have rode with friends countless times. I understand the factors of lending into the corners and getting back on the gas.
I have driven friends bikes around neighborhoods, parking lots, etc. But never on the street.

Now its time for me to buy my own bike and take to the road!

I have been looking at a 1996 Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD. The seller is offering a free jacket and helmet. The bike has 25,000 miles. I was thinking that the bike is old enough that I can still take it easy and learn the road. Then, once I have mastered some basics, I can learn with some power.

I just keep reading on the forums that a new rider started off with a 250 ninja, and now wants something b*****. The price on the bike is a steal.

What do you think???
Did you get a motorcycle man? I know this thread is old and I got a 99 gsxr 750 srad so I can relate to this question you're asking, the gsxr srad series are great bikes with a grade A I would say in cornering, mine does 190mph since I've had mines tuned up some, I'm adding a big bore 901cc engine in mines soon and I hope that you take your time on it, go slow and steady with it and you'll be a save rider like me man.by the way this irrelevant to the question but my bike is straight piped no muffler, it's really loud.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts