Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I want some feedback from the experienced riders.

I have never owned my own bike. I have rode with friends countless times. I understand the factors of lending into the corners and getting back on the gas.
I have driven friends bikes around neighborhoods, parking lots, etc. But never on the street.

Now its time for me to buy my own bike and take to the road!

I have been looking at a 1996 Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD. The seller is offering a free jacket and helmet. The bike has 25,000 miles. I was thinking that the bike is old enough that I can still take it easy and learn the road. Then, once I have mastered some basics, I can learn with some power.

I just keep reading on the forums that a new rider started off with a 250 ninja, and now wants something b*****. The price on the bike is a steal.

What do you think???

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I think you're going to wad it within 3000 miles and die.

Tell your momma you love her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.

I've been looking for a smaller cc, but i'm actually having a little difficultly finding one!

·
Registered
971 Posts
The 96 GSXR 750 is a serious machine. If I remember correctly, it was often pitted against liter bikes in shootouts. They weighed right around 400 pounds and made over 120 bhp. In my opinion it's a poor choice for a first bike.

·
Awesomeness, Inc.
679 Posts
I was thinking that the bike is old enough that I can still take it easy and learn the road. Then, once I have mastered some basics, I can learn with some power.
It was a fast-ass race bike back in 96, and a poor choice for a beginner then. The difference between todays GSXR750s is that they are even faster and lighter, and even worse choices for a beginner.

A "steal of a deal" doesnt justify the fact that it's not a good bike to learn on. Besides, a "steal" on a 13 year old GSXR750... I guarantee I've seen <7 year old Ninja 250s and 500s going for just as cheap. A free jacket is worthless if it doesnt fit you, and I wouldnt want to risk my head in a used helmet.

Suppose you do find a Ninja 500 for $2000, ride it for a year or two, and want something b*****. So what, with the demand for beginner bikes and gas efficiency, you easily can sell it for what you paid, and get something b*****. I've had my EX500 for 3 years, and have never felt like I've outgrown it, and its been a great cheap commuter and fun bike.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I started with a Ninja 250 last year. And while yes, after a year I wanted more power, there are times I wish I still had the 250 because I still could have learned so much from it. Even if you only keep it for a year to learn on you will get almost 100% of what you paid for it back. That's the great things about the 250's is that there is such a demand for them that they retain their value. I actually just moved up to a 750, granted it's an 05, but there's no WAY I would be as good of a rider as I am today if I'd started on the 750, and I can guarantee you I would've wrecked by now just from messing up in a turn or something, not even necessarily b/c of the power, but just b/c it doesn't react as quickly or handle as easily as the 250 did!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started with a Ninja 250 last year. And while yes, after a year I wanted more power, there are times I wish I still had the 250 because I still could have learned so much from it. Even if you only keep it for a year to learn on you will get almost 100% of what you paid for it back. That's the great things about the 250's is that there is such a demand for them that they retain their value. I actually just moved up to a 750, granted it's an 05, but there's no WAY I would be as good of a rider as I am today if I'd started on the 750, and I can guarantee you I would've wrecked by now just from messing up in a turn or something, not even necessarily b/c of the power, but just b/c it doesn't react as quickly or handle as easily as the 250 did!
Thanks for the reply!!

I have definitely decided to start with a lower cc.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks for the reply!!

I have definitely decided to start with a lower cc.
I hope you really do heed the warnings given here.:boink

The 750s and liter bikes of the 1990's made some serious power.
They could be goaded to make even more with mods,big bore kit's etc. and their power is usually lower in the rev range than the newer machines making them equal if not superior under triple digit speeds.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 1996-1999

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
too bad he cant throw in riding skill in for you too.

·
5,366 Posts
I hope you really do heed the warnings given here.:boink

The 750s and liter bikes of the 1990's made some serious power.
They could be goaded to make even more with mods,big bore kit's etc. and their power is usually lower in the rev range than the newer machines making them equal if not superior under triple digit speeds.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 1996-1999
128 hp...psh thats nothing lol

seriously tho, thatd be a pretty damn quick bike

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The 96 GSXR 750 is a serious machine. If I remember correctly, it was often pitted against liter bikes in shootouts. They weighed right around 400 pounds and made over 120 bhp. In my opinion it's a poor choice for a first bike.
With a slight gearing change, I could chase down new 600rr's on my 99 gsxr600 on the straight at our local track. I completely agree with you, just because this 750 is 13 years old it does NOT mean its a slow bike. The only thing about new bikes is they look cooler, have a better suspension and are a couple pounds lighter. There really isnt that much of a performance difference, the rider is a b***** variable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I said screw the GSX... I bought a YZF600RTC.

I love it!! It's a great bike with power but easy enough for a daily driver. Its a 05 with only 3k on it. 0406091628.jpg

I cant wait till I cover that damn ugly back seat and change the window.

·
Registered
888 Posts
well at least you didn't get the gixxer. That is a fast bike, but the ergos will be alot better. Be careful, read some books on riding techniques, do the msf and possibly a track day, and invest in some crash guards!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
...I have driven friends bikes around...
What do you think???
...I cant wait till I...change the window.
I think you should stop driving bikes and leave the 'window' alone. :twofinger

Pic is posted, he already has sliders.
If you take the MSF course then you will learn much more about correct riding technique AND how to not total your machine. What is it, 90% of crashes are riders who have not taken the MSF BRC? Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts