Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other thread is getting clustered and posting this for, well, roll call.
This is for the Mountains ride and again, we're meeting up at 12:00 at citgo (see "about sunday ride" thread for directions and details).

1. Me
2. Kazlab67
3. Scuffedknees
4. SnookayDCC
5. Up1Night2000
6. SalKhan (You in still or what man?)
7. ????
8. ????
9. ????
10. ????

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
OK, here is some stuff I've been thinking about. Not rules but safety.

1)I will lead because I know the way, but if someone wants to rip and roar down the highway, feel free , I know how nice it is to open your bike up once in a while. But to make sure we all stay on the same page, signal out of the group, change lanes and go as fast as you freakin want. Just don't do anything that will cause those around you to have to adjust their speed dramatically. I will not be ripping so if I ain't signalling, the group's not changing lanes. I will do everything possible to keep it smooth and unconfusing to the others.
When you are done getting it out, just drift back and jump back in the group.

2) In North Carolina, you cannot ride side by side in the same lane. An officer can cite you for racing. We will ride staggered.

3) Try not to get too much distance between each one us, we want to be a compact group so that some of these asshole drivers don't try to cut in between us. Especially when we hit the major cities on I40. I always see it happen and we have a long ride.

4)Maybe tuck a slip of paper in your pockets with some info on who to contact in case of emergency. Don't want to think about any problems but I would hate something to happen and we don't know how to contact anyone.

5)We need to discuss speed. How fast/slow you all feel comfortable with. If I am puttering along at 55 and you all feel it's too slow we need to figure out what a good cruising speed will be before hand so we don't leave anyone dragging behind.

I'm not a gear nazi, rule monger or anything, just want us all to have a good ride and come home safe. Wear what you are comfortable wearing, feel free to go 150MPH if thats what you need, pop a freakin wheelie down the highway if you want. Just don't do it within the main body of the group because we all don't really know each other or our riding styles and we don't want anyone feeling funny about what is going on around them.

If you can think of anything to make the ride more enjoyable or things you have learned about riding in a group, post up.

·
Pro Bike Theft Victim
1,088 Posts
well put! see you guys on sat , if anyone wants to follow me to the gas station hit me up :)

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
kazlab67 said:
OK, here is some stuff I've been thinking about. Not rules but safety.

Blah blah blah...
You have learned well young Jedi...

... not that I.. ya know.... really taught you anything. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
what about some hand signals? i'm sure not everyone uses the same ones or any.....just a thought....

ya'll have fun-ride safe-and take lots of photos!

michele

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Few other things.

Everyone keep in mind, the mountains are NOT a racetrack. Don't pass on the inside of a curve, in a tight curve, etc. I've been buzzed in my lane on a curve before, and it pisses me off.

Also, try to keep a little distance while in the twisties. Don't ride anyones rear so close you can see their tread pattern, unless your about to pass soon.

All of us most likely are at different levels (ie: skill) in the curves, so ride at your own pace. Don't try to keep up if you're uncomfortable, and risk crashing. We will wait in the straights, at our turn, or at the next stop sign.

Don't do 5 mph in a curve, only to do 140 in a straight if someone wants to pass you (one of our group, or otherwise). If someone wants to pass, let them.

Lets try to keep the highway speed at no more than 10 over the posted speed limit. I'd hate to see the whole group get speeding tickets, for just being in a hurry. Back roads? Who cares. lol.

Parkway rangers are getting rough (from what I've heard) on speeders. Be careful.

Like Kazlab, I just want to have a fun, crashless trip.

Anything else?

·
Registered
791 Posts
ahhh you ppl care :)

I guess the worry is about me. Dont worry about me falling behind on freeways and such. But when we get to the twisties ill probably falll slightly behind, i havnt found a spot were i REALLY needed to lean yet but i do feel pretty comfortable doing them. IIght ima boought to find somehtin to do for the night. See yall tomrrow.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I didn't even know you was still a rookie. :D

More like worried about the entire group. Out of this group for this ride, I've only rode with Sal (just a few miles) and Kazlab (longish ride).

Don't know about but a few ppl expierence.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Its all good, I will go as slow as the slowest member needs...it's the journey, not the destination. I just want us all to have a good time and come home safe to tell the tale.
If it gets unberable for anyone, we can break into two groups and meet up as needed.
I am open to anything.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If someone remembers, bring a first aid kit (bandaids, thingy to wrap up arms, legs, whateva in case you're losing blood (can't spell it, so i describe it, lol), etc etc). JUST IN CASE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts