Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2004 FZ6 on Sunday with only 1700 miles on it and rode it for the first time today. I've ridden dirt bikes when I was younger, but this is my first street bike. I'm 30 now and feel that I have more respect for speed these days and the hurt it can bring. I took my ride around the neighborhood today and up and down a few back roads. Not many cars to deal with, so it gave me a chance to get to feel the bike. I plan to do this a few more days until I venture out onto the main roads (where I have to get gas at). I love the ride, but after just an hour riding my arms got a bit tired. I guess they will strengthen up after a few more rides. I've read that the seat gets uncomfortable after 3 hours of riding. Perhaps I should invest in a softer seat, but there are a few things I would like to do first.

I've been told that you want a loud exhaust, so that the cars can hear you when you are riding next to them. The stock exhaust seems ok, but what are your thoughts? I like the looks of the Scorpion Carbon Fiber slip ons. I also want to do the head light mod and rear fender eliminator. I'm also interested in buying a belly pan for that little extra something. What does the Power Commander do and is it worth it?

Sorry for the questions, but I can't go to sleep without peeking into the garage to see my baby sitting pretty in it's new home.

Thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Welcome ect. ect. blah

Exhaust; Its all personal pref. really, I sprung for the m2 vale slip ons from two brothers (they look the "cleanest") They'll be here in a week :a2 . But at 98 or so dbs they're freakin loud, just have to get use to them.

Eliminator; Check the classifieds. Member makes a sweet one. :EDIT: FAZR6 makes the eliminator. I disassemble the rear end and made my own. stuck turns in the seat cowling (new dremel, and just had to cut and drill something :lol ).

Power Commander; Expensive, Should get a dyno tune, Worth the bother if you want every pony to rear and kick ya in the jimmy.

Headlight; SEARCH: POD MOD. Theres a few, good info in there.

Have fun.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congrats on your first ride. Good idea to take it easy before hanging with the wild beasts out on the roads.

Isn't it nice how the Fizzy just goes where you think it?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Installing the power commander is the equivalent of re-jetting a cabeurated bike.

Headlight mod is quick and simple.

If you want, I have a bracket available in the classified section that will replace your reflectors once you install FAZR6's FE kit.

Another thing that should be on the top of your list is frame sliders. Cheap insurance. A tank slapper kit wouldn't hurt either. It'll protect portions of your tank from getting scratched (links are in my signature).

·
Registered
79 Posts
RBC827 said:
but I can't go to sleep without peeking into the garage to see my baby sitting pretty in it's new home.
Heh, glad I am not the only one :lol

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
RBC827 said:
I purchased a 2004 FZ6 on Sunday with only 1700 miles on it and rode it for the first time today. I've ridden dirt bikes when I was younger, but this is my first street bike. I'm 30 now and feel that I have more respect for speed these days and the hurt it can bring. I took my ride around the neighborhood today and up and down a few back roads. Not many cars to deal with, so it gave me a chance to get to feel the bike. I plan to do this a few more days until I venture out onto the main roads (where I have to get gas at). I love the ride, but after just an hour riding my arms got a bit tired. I guess they will strengthen up after a few more rides. I've read that the seat gets uncomfortable after 3 hours of riding. Perhaps I should invest in a softer seat, but there are a few things I would like to do first.

I've been told that you want a loud exhaust, so that the cars can hear you when you are riding next to them. The stock exhaust seems ok, but what are your thoughts? I like the looks of the Scorpion Carbon Fiber slip ons. I also want to do the head light mod and rear fender eliminator. I'm also interested in buying a belly pan for that little extra something. What does the Power Commander do and is it worth it?

Sorry for the questions, but I can't go to sleep without peeking into the garage to see my baby sitting pretty in it's new home.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new ride, RBC.

Do you plan to ride the FZ6, or just work on the modifications?-- :eek:nfloor

+1 on the frame slider "first". Go through the break-in period and have the first maintenance done by the dealer to assure the warranty. Get used to the bike in stock form.. I'd say at least 6000 miles. Then start doing the mods. Reasoning behind this is that it is your first street bike and riding it will give you an idea what you actually need and want to modify to suit your ride. Just enjoy it first as is. That's just my humble opinion. Good luck with the Fizz. :beer

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you've been bitten by the mod-bug like most of us here. Sounds like you've got a game plan for early mods. I got the belly pan for mine and think it looks really sweet. Cleans up that area nicely. I got the Yamaha one and it was about 5 minutes to install, easy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heavy FZ6 said:
Welcome! Sounds like you've been bitten by the mod-bug like most of us here. Sounds like you've got a game plan for early mods. I got the belly pan for mine and think it looks really sweet. Cleans up that area nicely. I got the Yamaha one and it was about 5 minutes to install, easy.

I have a BMW M3 that I run at autocrosses and sanctioned driving events around race tracks. I have been modding my car for some time now, so I have had the bug for awhile. This is just a new canvas for my creativity and personality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts