Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped bikes with a buddy. It was an 85 Yamaha FZ750. Pretty sweet bike for the day…my understanding, one of the fastest of its time. Could not really push on the turns, due to not being my bike & and a little water at the tree lines, but did have some straits to hoop the wheel a little. I’d say it was quick, but not fast next to my Shadow. I know compaired to most of the bikes on this forum, slow for the FZ, and really slow for my Shadow! But over all, I’d say it was enjoyable.

Jason

·
Registered
297 Posts
V8KILLR said:
I swapped bikes with a buddy. It was an 85 Yamaha FZ750. Pretty sweet bike for the day…my understanding, one of the fastest of its time. Could not really push on the turns, due to not being my bike & and a little water at the tree lines, but did have some straits to hoop the wheel a little. I’d say it was quick, but not fast next to my Shadow. I know compaired to most of the bikes on this forum, slow for the FZ, and really slow for my Shadow! But over all, I’d say it was enjoyable.

Jason
comparing the HP of bikes back then too now, man big differance. kinda like a harley rider bragging about his hog being so fast. he doesn't know what fast is.
once u get a chance to ride something up to date u will be amazed at how slow those older bikes really were.
later

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
train460 said:
comparing the HP of bikes back then too now, man big differance. kinda like a harley rider bragging about his hog being so fast. he doesn't know what fast is.
once u get a chance to ride something up to date u will be amazed at how slow those older bikes really were.
later
True...just crazy how Tech has changed!!! The 600 now are faster then the bikes right around a liter in the mid 90s. WOW!!!

J

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Love the FZ 750 in red/black,real cool bikes.
Not that fast now though and a little heavy and under powered by todays standards.
Seen one race at Putman Park Road Course in an AMA race a quite few years ago,not good results.

Those damn little FZR400s was smokin the dude(and just about everything else too) I thought corners sure,but they were passing him on the main straight also.Felt sorry the FZ,wrong gearing?

Oh,at that same race there were a couple of boys from Kentucky riding light blue Honda RS125s who smoked every one in their class and the other class on the track (larger 4 strokes?).
The older one lead his brother by about a bike length the whole race. Their movements were nearly identical and they didn't show even a hint of a mistake.
I had never seen anyone ride so smooth,let alone two.
I think their last names were ,Hiden...,Hoyden,no.. that's not it.. Hmmm?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
FZ was a great bike in it's day. Still is...
First 5 valve heads. 100hp. (A milestone for 750s back then) 1st Genesis perimeter frame. Weighs about the same as a 'Busa! (wet weight - 526lbs!)
130/80R18-60H rear tire!
Competed head to head with the GSXR750R, GPz750, and the original Interceptor.
Downsized to 700cc in '87 due to the damn tariffs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jk750 said:
FZ was a great bike in it's day. Still is...
First 5 valve heads. 100hp. (A milestone for 750s back then) 1st Genesis perimeter frame. Weighs about the same as a 'Busa! (wet weight - 526lbs!)
130/80R18-60H rear tire!
Competed head to head with the GSXR750R, GPz750, and the original Interceptor.
Downsized to 700cc in '87 due to the damn tariffs.

Yep that was it...GOOD TIMES!!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Let's not get TOO carried away. Before claiming that 600s of today are faster than liter bikes of the mid 90s, let's define was aspect of speed is being compared. For example, turn the clock back even more: what current production 600 is faster than the 87 FZR1000, and in what way?

Also, the term "Genesis" for Yamaha does not refer to the frame, it refers to the 5 valve per cylinder motor design. The term they used to describe their innovative frame design is Delta Box, and the FZ did not have it. This was introduced in regular production in the FZR models, which had both the Genesis motor design, and the Delta Box perimeter frame.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
So, now you're gonna buy a friend for the Shadow? I can't see giving up a perfectly good Shadow but at least you could provide company for it.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Eyespy said:
Also, the term "Genesis" for Yamaha does not refer to the frame, it refers to the 5 valve per cylinder motor design. The term they used to describe their innovative frame design is Delta Box, and the FZ did not have it.
True. My befuddled mind got that crossed up.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hozhead said:
So, now you're gonna buy a friend for the Shadow? I can't see giving up a perfectly good Shadow but at least you could provide company for it.
I'm trying VERY hard to hold on to the Shadow. I sure do love chilling and road trips. At this time, I don't plan on selling it. Plan is o sell my truck and get a beater 4x4. I don't drive the cage that much any ways. Plus this area with the mountains, 4x4 is a good idea and the current truck is 2wd. Looking to drop from a 14K to the bank, to buying a 5k or 6k truck. That should free up the cash to get a second bike easily...also looking at getting a roomate.

fordyoz55 said:
V8Killer u still gonnna get that R1 that you were talking about getting?
I'm taking things step by step. At this time, if I can free up the green, I'll likely get the 01 R6 from a friend of a friend. If come spring or for that matter, any time I feel I need more, I’ll go R1. That is of course pending on my ability to handle that crazy fast of a monster bike as an R1. I am of course aware that the R6 is no slug of a bike either…it is a nasty bike in its’ own right and I’ll be taking my time building my ability to handle that bike as well.

Jason

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eyespy said:
Let's not get TOO carried away. Before claiming that 600s of today are faster than liter bikes of the mid 90s, let's define was aspect of speed is being compared. For example, turn the clock back even more: what current production 600 is faster than the 87 FZR1000, and in what way?

Also, the term "Genesis" for Yamaha does not refer to the frame, it refers to the 5 valve per cylinder motor design. The term they used to describe their innovative frame design is Delta Box, and the FZ did not have it. This was introduced in regular production in the FZR models, which had both the Genesis motor design, and the Delta Box perimeter frame.
My mistake! I was stating that 600 now are as fast or faster then mid 90s liter bikes very “loosely.” All that I was really after was to say that it is for sure amazing how far the 600s have come!!!

J

·
Registered
910 Posts
jk750 said:
True. My befuddled mind got that crossed up.
Haha...one of those senior moments? LOL, I get them all the time. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
V8KILLR said:
My mistake! I was stating that 600 now are as fast or faster then mid 90s liter bikes very “loosely.” All that I was really after was to say that it is for sure amazing how far the 600s have come!!!

J
Very true, the current 600s perform so well compared to liter bikes from a decade ago, it's incredible. :beer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts