Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done riding my buddies brand new katana 600, i was very surprised at how boring it was. The throttle is not nearly as responisve as my vfr and i wasnt really impressed with the handling. When i first bought my vfr i had my heart set on an inline 4 motor. I thought that i was gonna be wanting one as long as i had the vfr. once i tried this bike im very glad i got a v twin. By the way what do you guys think about vfrs? just curious because i never hear anyone talk about them.

btw when he jumped on my bike for a spin, he almost biffed it. He gassed it too much. Got off complaining that the throttle was too touchy blah blah, i thougth it was funny. I love instant power.

·
Registered
324 Posts
don't make a judgment off of the Katana man.....my bud has an '05 and i TOY with that thing on my 636....Katanas :pisson

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Damn, they aren't that bad....LOL! Just do some mods to it! The stock Katana isn't real bad, just needs some "tweaking". Though I do like the 1 liters bikes also!!

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nik_z said:
don't make a judgment off of the Katana man.....my bud has an '05 and i TOY with that thing on my 636....Katanas :pisson
yeah i know they are not in the premiere category for 600 class, but i was actually really pleased that i got the vtwin, i really love the low end power of the 800, i opened up that 600 in 2nd and i was not hanging on for dear life like i do on the vfr :) but hey guys i would like some input on the vfr, what do you guys like about it and what would you change.

·
Registered
324 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Damn, they aren't that bad....LOL! Just do some mods to it! The stock Katana isn't real bad, just needs some "tweaking". Though I do like the 1 liters bikes also!!
yeah yeah i know, i was just exaggerating because it seemed he was judging all the inlines (600cc or so's) by a katana. not really even the same class as say......my bike. great bikes....but NOTHING to make a judgment call on all 600's being slow. no offense was intended bro. :)

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check that, i was using a faulty source of info, i knew it sounded wierd. its a v-4, when i bought the bike the sales guy said it was a vtwin. What are the upsides and downsides of the v4

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gotta learn the lingo bro, Vtwin means 2 cylinder's in a V configuration, V4 means 4 cylinders in a V configuration. Big difference.

Anyway, the V4's have never been very popular, not sure exactly why as I haven't ridden one. I know they sound wierd though, I's much prefer an I4 or even a Vtwin to a V4 anyday. That's not to say there's anything wrong with your bike, it's just not what I like and what's really popular. If you like it then great, keep riding it. You should try one good example from each category though to decide which you like best, like a good 600cc Supersport(ZX6R, CBR600, GSXR600,YZFR6) and a good Vtwin like the RC51. If you think your bike has power you'd shat yourself on a RC51.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Camride said:
Gotta learn the lingo bro, Vtwin means 2 cylinder's in a V configuration, V4 means 4 cylinders in a V configuration. Big difference.

Anyway, the V4's have never been very popular, not sure exactly why as I haven't ridden one. I know they sound wierd though, I's much prefer an I4 or even a Vtwin to a V4 anyday. That's not to say there's anything wrong with your bike, it's just not what I like and what's really popular. If you like it then great, keep riding it. You should try one good example from each category though to decide which you like best, like a good 600cc Supersport(ZX6R, CBR600, GSXR600,YZFR6) and a good Vtwin like the RC51. If you think your bike has power you'd shat yourself on a RC51.

Just some food for thought.
Are you kidding on the sound? The VFR800 with a good set of pipes makes some of the most bloodcurdling racket I've ever heard. Makes me tingle all over... it doesn't make the obnoxious, flatulent (IMO) sound of most of the inline 4s or the chest-thumping goodness of the v-twins. It's just a strange and really characteristic sound. I tried to find a better clip, but the best I found was just off the TwoBros site.
http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Sound_Clips/Hon_VFR800FI-TBR.wav

V4s are not as popular mostly becuase of their weight. The configuration makes for a pretty hefty block, and it's easier to trim the weight out of a long, skinny motor like an I4. Not to mention Honda's overly complex and grossly overwieght VTEC system doesn't help. The VFR800 makes for a dynamite sport tourer, and it's one of the very few Hondas that I'd love to have, but the motor design sort of limits its scope of application to... well, sport tourers, and that's about it. They used to have the Magna power cruiser, as well, but cruiser guys always have some sort of infatuation with V-Twins, so they were a bit of a cult bike.

I agree with people's observations on your criticizing the Katana. It's NOT a supersport. It's big and heavy and comfy, and makes a great long-distance bike that can do a bit of twistie work, too, but will get slaughtered by most anything with sporting pretenses.

·
20,852 Posts
nik_z said:
yeah yeah i know, i was just exaggerating because it seemed he was judging all the inlines (600cc or so's) by a katana. not really even the same class as say......my bike. great bikes....but NOTHING to make a judgment call on all 600's being slow. no offense was intended bro. :)

:cheers No prob. LOL.
Hell I know a lot of 600s that just flat out kick ass, and one of them a buddy owns is a 600 Katana (adding about $3k worth of performance parts helped too). I like my 750 but I am considering getting a GSX-R this winter.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
There are big bore kits for the Katana 750 to bring them to 1 liter...

Add some mechanic carbs, maybe port/polish the heads, a full system and hold on for dear life!

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 750 kat is no bore. I used to own one, had a full exhaust and a jet kit. The thing hauled for a 91.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crx81 said:
No doubt... that sounded SWEET!!! :dblthumb
yeah thats basically what my bike sounds like, in fact almost exactly. I love the bike i picked. Its fast enough for a veteran dirtbike rider, but not gonna over do it for me like a 600 rr. It is heavy and that is the only downside to me. Im still learning all the lingo, and the riding is getting better. I can take those 25 mph turns at like 60 - 70 now. And this thing flat out smokes my best friends katana. THat was his first bike that he got, so im glad he got a watered down ss bike. Anyone have any suggestions on how to wheelie. I can ride them out in first, with a power wheelie. But i have tried to pop the clutch and it just wont go for me.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
vfr is most badass sounding bike imo

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
VFRs suck, mine only has 50k lol

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
VFRs are some of the meanest sounding bikes ever!
They have a certain growl to them and when combined with gear driven cams(VFR 1000R) sound wicked.

I've heard that the old VFR 1000R factory race bikes had a different firing order/exhaust pulses (and special exhaust) than normal bikes sold/imported and it worked more like TWO V-Twins for more torque/drive out of the corners. I'd love to here one of those beasts.

·
20,852 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
There are big bore kits for the Katana 750 to bring them to 1 liter...

Add some mechanic carbs, maybe port/polish the heads, a full system and hold on for dear life!

Where can I find the big bore kit? I found a Yosh S3 Carbon system, was thinking a jet kit, power commander, -1 +2 sprocket set. This Kat might not be as weak as I thought!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts