Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been riding my FZ6 now for close to a month with 200 miles of riding experience. Today I metup with another local rider who was going to show me some back roads that I didn't know about. He rides a 05' Suzuki SV1000s and has been riding for over 3 years. Another biker joined in with us who rode a 03' Ninja ZX-6R and he has close to 2 years experience riding.

Well, I let them start in front of me because I didn't want to hold them back. I had a hard time keeping up with them on the twisties, but could catch up to them on the straights. They would ride around the corners and curves twice the posted speed limit, while I was riding about 5-10 miles over. Almost ran off the road a few times. Their exhaust were awesome sounding while my stock exhaust sounded horrible next to theirs. I see and hear why everyone wants to change the sound of the stock exhaust or replace them with aftermarkets. I have to get a new exhaust soon!

The bike held up well and after a riding the bike the hardest I have since I bought it, I feel more comfortable. I did get the bike up to 100 mph for a very short time. I felt stable and didn't feel scared. Before then, the fastest I had riden was 70. I did almost lose control shortly after when I was coming up to a turn doing 50, but I felt like I was going less than 30. I hit the front brakes in the turn as I was going wide and the bike went a bit crazy doing so. I was able to release the brake and recover my line with out incedent.

The two of them complemented my bike which made me feel good. I think I got a great bike. Now I just need to learn how to take the corners just a tad bit faster and feel more confident doing so.

Quick question: Do you lean with the bike when going around corners like the Moto GP guys do it, or do you sit more upright and push the bike down around the corners?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lean with the bike in the corners...it feels great and you'll become more comfortable as time goes on. The counter-leaning stuff is for very slow speeds only. We do have a great little machine in the FZ6. :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
RBC827 said:
I have been riding my FZ6 now for close to a month with 200 miles of riding experience. Today I metup with another local rider who was going to show me some back roads that I didn't know about. He rides a 05' Suzuki SV1000s and has been riding for over 3 years. Another biker joined in with us who rode a 03' Ninja ZX-6R and he has close to 2 years experience riding.

Well, I let them start in front of me because I didn't want to hold them back. I had a hard time keeping up with them on the twisties, but could catch up to them on the straights. They would ride around the corners and curves twice the posted speed limit, while I was riding about 5-10 miles over. Almost ran off the road a few times. Their exhaust were awesome sounding while my stock exhaust sounded horrible next to theirs. I see and hear why everyone wants to change the sound of the stock exhaust or replace them with aftermarkets. I have to get a new exhaust soon!

The bike held up well and after a riding the bike the hardest I have since I bought it, I feel more comfortable. I did get the bike up to 100 mph for a very short time. I felt stable and didn't feel scared. Before then, the fastest I had riden was 70. I did almost lose control shortly after when I was coming up to a turn doing 50, but I felt like I was going less than 30. I hit the front brakes in the turn as I was going wide and the bike went a bit crazy doing so. I was able to release the brake and recover my line with out incedent.

The two of them complemented my bike which made me feel good. I think I got a great bike. Now I just need to learn how to take the corners just a tad bit faster and feel more confident doing so.

Quick question: Do you lean with the bike when going around corners like the Moto GP guys do it, or do you sit more upright and push the bike down around the corners?
There is one thing I have learned over the last year of riding since I to am a newbie street rider is ride at my own pace even when in a group if for any reason you feel uncomfortable just slow down better to get there in one piece than end up off the road and worst yet dead. Take your time and get use to the feel of leaning with the bike. I find working on turn in a empty parking lot helps build some confidence in how far she will lean over. Also try different setting for your rear shock it makes the bike feel different in the turns depending on the preload setting atleast thats what I notice.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You don't have to hang off the bike like a monkey or anything, but moving your ass to the inside of the turn maby half a cheek and you'll zip around the corner no prob. Though this should be practiced in a controled environment. Learning this on the street is a good way to shred your bike.(to many unknowns, Gravel, Cars, Dogs, etc. etc.)
Trust is key, lean it over, she's taken everything i've thrown at here and keeps coming back for more.

??Do you still have the stock tires from 04'?? I've heard that they didn't stick as well as the battleaxes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had not read your thread, but let me ask you you say "200 miles" experience?, I do not remember myself doing 100mph on my break in period, I think you are no supose to pass 6k rpm the first 600miles (remember myself going like an old lady that could not pass I think it was 70-80mph), I forgot to tell you I got another friend that just bought a fz6 too, so he may ne join the club now. About keeping up with people do not worry about it, I did the same up in the mountains (ga)(my first time up in the mountains) and ran wide (just like you) exact same description, I found out that day I will RIDE MY own pace after I get more confidence(NO MATTER WHAT), now my goal when I am going up in the moutains is work my lines and not have to use the brakes in a turn (that's just me) (unless emergency) that has work out really cool.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the bike with 1750 miles on it, and I now have 1950 miles. Thanks for the advice, perhaps tomorrow night I will go the local school parking lot and practice my cornering. I hope to get my LSL sliders in the mail tomorrow too!

The tires are stock. Should I change them out with another brand? How much do motorcycle tires run and how much does it cost to have them replaced?

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
youll find its more fun to hang your but off the inside edge of the seat while keeping your heart near your gascap. Just remember to look where you want to go which isnt necessarily where your going(look as far through the corners as possible). My advise is to get to a bookstore and read "Total Control" its an awsome motorcycle technique book that wont bore you to death with math. as long as there isnt gravel on the corner i ussually just about double the caution speeds. (PS CANT WAIT TILL MY NEW HIP HEALS AND I CAN RIDE AGAIN!!!!!)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTVa said:
Also try different setting for your rear shock it makes the bike feel different in the turns depending on the preload setting atleast thats what I notice.
What load do you recommend? I think mine is at stock setting. I'm 5'10" and 190 lbs.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do not need to change tires just now, I got stock with 3600miles and they are entire, so change them when there is a need for or if you like, but with 2000miles those tires are good. And 1750miles when you bought, you good then, So you did not have to drive like an old lady (lucky you).

There is couple of good books I bought Proeficient Motorcycling, and the twist of the wrist, if you want in one of those future rides to the mountains there is a restaurant(camping side too) up in suches (route 60) that has the books for sale, you can take a look at the whole book and see if you like it and then buy on line (they over priced the books at the restaurant)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Reading your post has me concerned about your safety. As WTVa advises...RIDE AT YOUR OWN ABILITY OR EXPERIENCE! It doesn't sound like you are ready to ride agressively. Hearing "Almost ran off the road a few times" and "I did almost lose control shortly after when I was coming up to a turn doing 50, but I felt like I was going less than 30. I hit the front brakes in the turn as I was going wide and the bike went a bit crazy doing so. I was able to release the brake and recover my line with out incedent". The last thing you need to be doing is trying to keep up with faster riders. Practice emergency stops in, don't worry about doing the corners fast until you get more experience. Hopefully you've taken the MSF course.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maste said:
Reading your post has me concerned about your safety. As WTVa advises...RIDE AT YOUR OWN ABILITY OR EXPERIENCE! It doesn't sound like you are ready to ride agressively. Hearing "Almost ran off the road a few times" and "I did almost lose control shortly after when I was coming up to a turn doing 50, but I felt like I was going less than 30. I hit the front brakes in the turn as I was going wide and the bike went a bit crazy doing so. I was able to release the brake and recover my line with out incedent". The last thing you need to be doing is trying to keep up with faster riders. Practice emergency stops in, don't worry about doing the corners fast until you get more experience. Hopefully you've taken the MSF course.
You are right. I bought the bike saying that I will not do the stupid stuff, but here I am doing it. I don't know what got in to me thinking of riding so fast and trying to keep up with them. I guess I just wanted to hang and felt bad for holding them back. I guess I need to hang with the older crowd.? :lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
RBC827 said:
I guess I need to hang with the older crowd.? :lol
Who you calling old??? :) I certainly wouldn't advise you to try to hang with me. Heck, one of my riding buds is in his mid-fifties, rides a Busa and tears the corners up! But...he's got lots of experience, miles and track days.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Slow down and take your time learning to ride. Hearing your coments scares the hell out of me. You're lucky to have made it home today and I'm not kidding. Never, ever panick and brake in the middle of the corner unless you are slow and upright. Take it to a big parking lot and practice leaning your bike while cornering and you'll gain more understanding and confidence about what your bike will do and how you are suppose to ride it. Ride with a friend and let them lead the way conservatively. Lastly, don't rush your progress. It may take a year to be as comfortable as you need to be to handle all the situations that you'll face out among the twisties.

·
Registered
245 Posts
RBC827 here is a good site about safety, realy active and really good tips, check it out http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp, I am on that forum too, there is a lot of info that has help me out. Check it out. When we get up in the mountains I think am not in condition of teach you new stuff, but I can teach you what I did wrong, this is one of the reason why I am for the ride on sunday with experience riders, that know how we ride, been there and are willing to teach you the good stuffs, do not miss the ride if you can but like everyone here says RIDE YOUR OWN PACE, you will find out that in not time (maybe without you noticing) you will be faster.DO NOT RUSH IT. One of the things I remind myself while riding in a group (I tell it to myself loud) I DO NOT HAVE TO PROOF ANYTHINg to NOBODY, it is just about my enjoyment, that's what it counts at the end of the day, Did you enjoy your ride? (I ask myself) if the answer is yes at did heck of a job then.

Check that site is really good, if you check the learned leason thread you will find one of my first ride to the mountains, all the mistakes I did and the advices they gave, you improve then you go to go back on the saddle.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hey RBC827, it sounds like you're enjoying the learning process. I have to agree with the other folks on here who are concerned about your riding style with only a couple hundred miles of experience. Most of the mistakes you made were typical of a new rider, but the fact that you made a bunch of them on the same ride should make you stop and think for sure.

It's really, really hard to stay slow and sensible when you're riding with a faster crowd, no matter how experienced you are. I'd suggest riding by yourself, or only with small groups of people who are willing to ride your speed. That way, you won't get suckered into going faster than you feel comfortable.

Of course, when you're by yourself speed can be seductive, too. One way to keep it under control is to stay slow on the straights. On my favorite twisty road, the speed limit is 40mph. If I keep around that speed limit on the straights, I don't have to do nearly as much braking for the corner. Less things to think about at the corner entry makes for much smoother corners.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Theres an article by Nick iseinatch(not sure how the last name is spelled called "The Pace". I've recently read it and it changed my whole view on street riding. Once you try it out its more relaxing and fun than trying to ride all out. Its a great way to ride when your learning too.

Long read but very good check it out.

http://www.ridehsta.com/html/safety.htm

·
Registered
291 Posts
FZSilver said:
Theres an article by Nick iseinatch(not sure how the last name is spelled called "The Pace". I've recently read it and it changed my whole view on street riding. Once you try it out its more relaxing and fun than trying to ride all out. Its a great way to ride when your learning too.

Long read but very good check it out.

http://www.ridehsta.com/html/safety.htm
He also wrote a book entitled "Sport Riding Techniques" which is also a good read. It will help you understand some basic principles and get the gears in your head turning, but nothing beats saddle time and track days!!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride and I see you're having fun with it despite some close calls.

Here's something you might want to consider;

A rule of thumb:

You need "at the very least" 6000 miles on a bike to be familiarized enough to ride it safely. Your controls, timing and perception of incidences are still way-waaayyyyy off and I suggest you resist riding hot until then. It will come a lot sooner than you think, so don't rush.

The FZ6 is such a confidence builder that it can make you ride beyond your capability. It will always tease you to push your limits and you will find yourself doing so. Be very very careful. Concentrate on "safety!" Adapt good habits now! Bad habits are easy to pick up at this stage of your riding and hard to get rid of later on. Think safety, again and forever! All it takes is one bad move and poof the fun factor disappears. Ride safe.

We want you riding and posting in this forum for a long time. :cheers

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Best piece of advice I've ever gotten on twisties:

Concentrate on riding smoothly and the speed will come on its own.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts