Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm at my pals house for a party and about to down some scotch and I'm just standing there checking out his bike, I've sat on it before but never riden it, so we're standing there chit chatting about it, and I start talking about how I'd like to upgrade in a year or two when money permits, and I start talking about how I love the inline four scream (he totally understands where I was coming from because he drives an N/A tuned B16 swapped CR-X, and I use to drive a slightly tuned CB7 Accord, in other words, Honda guys) and then I go on to explain that I've been interested in the SV650 for quite some time as well mainly because of the look, price, and reliability, but I'm undecided on the V-twin sound.

He had recently modded his yoshimura slip-on's, cut the can's in half and riveted (sp?) it back together, they're now the length of the yoshimura decals themselves, which are still intact, it looked professional. se he starts it up and it's loud as holy fuck sauce, revs it up and my ears popped, in other words, fucking badass, I don't dig the whole quiet exhaust deal, I don't care, I like it loud, all there is to it. So we're just talking still and by the time it gets warmed up he offers me to take it for a ride and I kinda stand there for a minute like "... well hell" and I go a alright dude, throw my helmet on and start backing it out off the porch and through his yard, finaly get going down his driveway which is sand and rock and i just give it a bit of throttle clutch in let out give it some more clutch back in, finaly get down to the road and go to turn, first thing I noticed is that it did not want to turn lol so I finaly get it turned and give a little throttle and I'm riding just crusing shifting at 4 - 5 grand through every gear trying to get a little comfy. hit a stop sign and grab a left and get to third and cack the throttle, and soon after piss my pants :lao

So I do a little weave going down the road trying to get a feel for it and this is just completely alien to my bike, I'd never been down this road before and I see a 90* coming up and start rev matching my downshifts to about 20 mph and take the corner and it just did not want to turn, so I go down this rode and hit a U-turn and I'm like alright, I'm going to see what the deal is and I hit the corner this time at about 30 - 35 and actually take it, I ended up using my body weight hanging off of the bike. It seemed like the bike did not want to turn unless I hung off the inside (you know GP style blah blah) but once I did it was fairly decent. So this time I was riding back towards his house and I'm thinking to myself that I gotta get on this thing in 2nd atleast, so in my head I'm going "if I crack the throttle I will probably power wheelie myself straight to a hospital" so I give it a little over half throttle and it just fucking goes, like fuck your couch style lol I get on it a little on the long straight to his house and pull it up to his house and get off and he goes "how'd you like it?" and I said "well considering I've never rode anything b***** than my Ninja 500 besides an old Bonnie 650, it was a bit of a slap in the face!" in other words I fucking loved it!

So here's some background on me, I'm 20 years old, I've riden enduro's since I was a "youngin" and this Ninja 500 is MY first street bike with 5K+ miles put on since I've owned it a little less than 5 months, granted I don't own a car so my bike is my only transportation.

I think the negative handling was not only me, but mostly was considering I've never rode a bike of that calibur, but the bike was also lowered 2 inches which I believe negatively altered the handling characteristics a bit, I've sat on an SV1000S before at a dealership, I could only get my toes down to the ground but was fine with one leg down (dirtbike experience doesn't help, my ass!!) so if I were to own one it'd be stock height, if not lowered only one inch.

I liked it alot but felt it was a bit much, I think the SV650 would be a great machine if I were not to go with an inline four, I originally wanted an FZR600, and still that is my dream bike I want it's from my fave era of sportbikes (80's and 90's) and I just instantly loved them, but I do like the SV's just not a big fan of the V-twin sound.

oh yeah, take note, not every 20/y old is a balls to the wall throttle jockey, like I've said before, get real :twofinger

EDIT: some highlights, the torque was what really hit me, the throttle was nothing major, I have a good wrist, the seating position as I've said before was more comfy to me than my ninja 500, and I can see how somewhat laying on the tank on long rides could help, and I noticed the front tire was nearly as wide as my rear!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
One, you're not old enough to drink scotch.

Two, as far as the sv1000s is concerned, :D

The sv1k is a bit of a beast compared to your 500. If you liked the 1k, the sv650 would be a fun bike. Inline 4's are over-rated. :)

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The sv1k is a bit of a beast compared to your 500. If you liked the 1k, the sv650 would be a fun bike. Inline 4's are over-rated. :)

Correction, I'm not old enough to buy scotch lol

I don't drink beer because I hate the taste and can't stomach it, I drink Vodka, scotch, wine, and so on.

Oh and I'm basically 100% set on an inline four, almost exclusively the FZR600 as well, it's not overated if you like it, not buying for balls out speed or to stand out, I want one because I genuinly like them.

I was just posting my experience with the SV1KS

·
Banned
5,056 Posts
You loved it? I thought it was SHIT!
About 2 yrs ago I test rode one @ a Demo in Daytona and @ the time this was my favorite bike and top of my list for a new bike. Rode it and was HUGELY let down. The handling is sluggish, the suspension was lame. I then test rode @ the time a brand new 07 Kawi ZX-6R and WAS LIKE OMG! This bike is awesome! SV1000 immediately was not of interest. The ZX-6R rode beautifully and became my goal. but bah then I had to buy an f-ing car cuz I hurt my back so I ended up with neither...

Anyways Yeah the only thing fun about it is the Torque, otherwise I think it blows.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Welp Nightfall, your description of the handling makes sense as to why a guy i was driving behind who was aboard an sv1000 was hangin a cheek off his seat to make a decently sharp turn but at the speed limit. And i assume he probably did not have it lowered as it was completely stock.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I liked it, mainly the torque and cruisability, the suspension didn't really bother me, the handling was I don't know just odd to me.

Like I said though, I did love it, but it's still overkill IMHO, I'd rather have a 600cc inline four.

Oh, and 08zzr600, I kid you not man, average road speeds and I was having to hang off that thing, I got on my bike later on to head home and it felt like a damn bicycle.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LIVIN'S easy, you ride a Ninja 500?

·
Banned
19,161 Posts

Im the other way around, Vtwins are just flat and boring. blah.

·
Registered
268 Posts
sv

I rode a 03 that had been modded I dont know if the susp had been played with cause it was a repo, but it handled as good and probably better than my fz1. What really stood out to me was the ease in which the front wheel came up, it was no problem powering up the front wheel and the only reason I put it down was I looked at the speedo 63mg and really pulling spooked me a bit. the road I took it down is a shitty road with poor banks on tight turns and I had no problem with it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
636blurr said:
Im the other way around, Vtwins are just flat and boring. blah.
Potato, tomato. :)

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rode a 03 that had been modded I dont know if the susp had been played with cause it was a repo, but it handled as good and probably better than my fz1. What really stood out to me was the ease in which the front wheel came up, it was no problem powering up the front wheel and the only reason I put it down was I looked at the speedo 63mg and really pulling spooked me a bit. the road I took it down is a shitty road with poor banks on tight turns and I had no problem with it.

Yep! I know what you mean dude, that thing just wanted to pop up but I stayed as civil as possible lol

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hmm... I've never ridden a 1k, but I don't have a problem with turns at all. I don't know if there's a big weight difference between the 650 and the 1000 though.

And to the haters saying the twins are boring... I'm not going to lie and say i don't LUST over an I-4, but I wouldn't say that I'm bored to death on my SV. Once I get my GSXR 750 (dreaming right now) I may show up and bash the twin engine, but until that day comes, I gotta defend my twin to the death.

YE TWIN, I DEFEND THY HONNNAAAAAH!!!

·
5,455 Posts
I liked it, mainly the torque and cruisability, the suspension didn't really bother me, the handling was I don't know just odd to me.

Like I said though, I did love it, but it's still overkill IMHO, I'd rather have a 600cc inline four.

Oh, and 08zzr600, I kid you not man, average road speeds and I was having to hang off that thing, I got on my bike later on to head home and it felt like a damn bicycle.
or, you just don't know how to ride a bike with clipons. thats not trying to be an insult, it really is different.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
or, you just don't know how to ride a bike with clipons. thats not trying to be an insult, it really is different.
This reminded me of something. My '00 sv650 had handlebars and not clip-ons. I switched to some aftermarket bars (Suburban Machinery) which were lower and farther forward than the stock bars, but not quite as aggressive as the sv650s clip-ons. At the time it made a HUGE difference in the handling of the 650. Steering inputs were many times more effective and the bike was much easier to flick around.

When I was considering getting the sv1k, one of the issues I was concerned about was losing something on handling with the b***** bike. It did take a few hours or riding, but eventually the 1k became as nimble as the 650 except at slow speeds. At a crawl it still feels like the b*****, heavier bike that it is. As a reference, the 1k clip-ons seem to be slightly more aggressive than my 650 with aftermarket bars.

·
Banned
5,056 Posts
LIVIN'S easy, you ride a Ninja 500?
Yes. Had it for 3yrs now. Thats why I'm so big on suspension now. That probably contributed to my dislike for the sv1000. It wasn't just the 2inches... its that way anyways. You have to muscle it. ... Yeah at speed it didn't seem like a big issue but @ the time it was my only means of transportation. So I wasn't going to put up with the slug handling at low speed. THough when you got up to speed the ZX-6r was still a dream compared to the sv1000...

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Lowering 2 inches massively F's up handling. My VFR was lowered when I got it. Thought I was gonna crash.

I'm not saying the SV1k is nimble (never rode one) but a 2" drop just makes the bike handle like ass.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't have any experience with riding lowered bikes. Why do people try/do it? Doesn't it just ruin the geometry of the bike?

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I already said it was completely alien to me and most of the handling problem was probably just me never having riden a bike of that calbur, read more carefully, I hate repeating myself because.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes. Had it for 3yrs now. Thats why I'm so big on suspension now. That probably contributed to my dislike for the sv1000. It wasn't just the 2inches... its that way anyways. You have to muscle it. ... Yeah at speed it didn't seem like a big issue but @ the time it was my only means of transportation. So I wasn't going to put up with the slug handling at low speed. THough when you got up to speed the ZX-6r was still a dream compared to the sv1000...
I mean once I threw my weight around it wasn't as bad but definately alot different, I think when I upgrade to an FZR600, YZF600R, YZF-R6, or w/e I end up getting it'll be a bit more light on it's feet so to speak.

I really need to get my suspension adjusted for my weight on my 500, I weigh 220 pounds and I estimate it drops atleast an inch when I mount, I think you can have the pre-load adjusted on the stock spring?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have ALOT of friends who ride SV650's and most at one point or another have had or ridden the SV1000 and almost to a man, they have like the 650 more by leaps and bounds. Was just flat out more fun, was the most common statment.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts