Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike feels significantly faster. He's got a 97 ZX-9 completely stock and I have an '02 gsxr6 with full exhaust and -1 front tooth. I thought his bike would be way faster having 50% more engine but mine seems to accelerate much quicker. It was my first time riding anything b***** than a 600.

I dont get it...

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Maybe his bike wasn't in the greatest shape? That bike should feel more powerful than your bike, even though it is substantially heavier.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I bet the bike just wasn't running good. I have a '98 and when I first got it, the thing ran like a champ. Power wheelies in 1st and 2nd without even trying. I'm geared +3 in the back now and even in first, you still have to chop the throttle to get the wheel up. I'm not a wheelie guy so that doesn't bother me. The way it's running now might not be the best but it's still good enough for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
srootster said:
98 is when they really started making power to weight. try a 98 and up and your tune should change.
Wow i just looked into it and they dropped about 80 pounds between 97 and 98. Aluminum frame?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i was told that the 600's are "snappier" due to the lighness, but the 1000's are faster all together

·
Registered
15 Posts
'98 and above 9rs also gained some hp over '97 and older.

But the new 600s are truly amazing. I'm sure your bike is fast as hell. Your full exhaust and smaller front sprocket help acceleration, and the loudness of your exhaust and maybe less wind protection on your bike vs. the 9r help make it 'feel' faster, even if it isn't. But I'm also trying to say that your bike may be as fast.

What was the '97 9r, like 115 hp? And heavy. What's your's, 106 hp with your mods, plus the front sprocket plus much lighter?

·
Registered
600 Posts
ninerrider01 said:
What was the '97 9r, like 115 hp? And heavy. What's your's, 106 hp with your mods, plus the front sprocket plus much lighter?
ZX-9R (1997)
Power: 141.00 HP (102.9 kW)) @ 10500 RPM
Torque: 96.00 Nm (9.8 kgf-m or 70.8 ft.lbs) @ 9000 RPM
Advertised dry weight : Holy moses, a Panzer-like 480 lbs!!!!

141 crank HP would look to be probably 125RWHP.

GSX-R600 (2001 - as close as I could find to 2002):
Power: 98.00 HP (71.5 kW)) @ 11800 RPM
Torque: 63.00 Nm (6.4 kgf-m or 46.5 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM
Advertised dry weight : 358 lbs (LOL... right....)

So a realistic RWHP rating for the GSX-R600 would probably be about 90, probably about 92-93 with the exhaust.

This is all just data sheet/spec sheet racing, though, so who knows about real world numbers. Hell, put them both on a dyno and find out! By the sounds of it, though, the ZX-9R doesn't sound like it was in tip-top shape if the 600 felt anywhere near as fast. But then again, the sprocket could change the feel of the bike a lot - you go through the gear a lot faster at -1, so the brevity of the trip to redline could make it seem really quick.

·
Registered
346 Posts
a good friend of mine has a 96 9r. they arent all that powerful considering thier engine size and they weigh as much as a small armored vehicle...

·
Registered
15 Posts
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/

'01 and '03 gsxr600 made about 100 rwhp stock by their tests.

'02 zx9r makes 125 rwhp stock from their tests, possibly same dyno and operator. This is a realistic number from results I've seen while surfing zx9r boards the last few years since I bought mine. (My '01 made 123 rwhp with only a few thousand miles on it.) I think '98 and newer made more hp than '97 years and earlier, so maybe they made 120 rwhp. I really think it's more like 115. That number in the post above is crazy. Must be the number from Kawi (blue-printed bike tested by kawi engineer on favorable dyno, etc.) Then factor in the 80 lb difference (at least, if your weight data is accurate).

I think it's no surprise the 600 with louder exhaust and more shifting could be close enough to fool the "butt-dyno".

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It all boils down to power to weight, EFI vs Carb, and maintence. Holy shit Batman!!!!!!!!:lao

1 - 15 of 15 Posts