Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to add to the stable in the next year or so

I HAVE the bird....I HAVE the CB....I want a cruiser and a dual sport to add to the collection eventually

I wanna bike I can ride slow and enjoy the ride, as well as one with character. I've ridden all the metric cruisers and they just lack any character whatsoever......power yes...but boring, no character what-so-ever...if you've ever ridden an RC51/TLR/ducati you know what character I'm talking about

2 weeks ago I took a road glide for a spin...whatta hunk of crap THAT bike is.....heavy, lathargic, and was like driving a greyhound on 2 wheels.

A few months back I took a slightly modded 1200 sportster out and was actually impressed....pretty neat ride, but still not what I'm looking for.

I haven't ridden a regular soft tail, but plan to.

I took the V-rod out of the dealership and headed down the short road adjacent to get a feel......it had a clip-on tombstone windscreen and it buffered me like nobody's binness...so I returned immediatly to have it removed.....I took back off and was amazed at the acceleration .... This bike parrallels my old TLR so close in take off it's not even funny. And my TLR was modded heavily (131/79)

I would venture to say the V-rod would take my tiller in a 1/4 mile. I KNOW it'd wax a duck to 100

I shot on to the expressway in 3rd gear and before I knew it I was doing 95 :eek:

IMPRESSIVE...neither the road glide or the sportster would come CLOSE to that....and they both had like 5k redlines :angry V-rod had a 9k redline

I was lost in my approval on the hiway....man...this bike rode GREAT....no stress on my back, wrists, neck..NOTHING

Time to exit....lets test these brakes (brakes on the road glide were WORSE than it's acceleration if you can believe that) I applied only the front brake and WOW....stopped like my bird......again..Lost in approval sittin there grinnin inside my full faced helmet. I turned at the light to go back under the bridge and jump back on the interstate to head back and as I rounded the cloverleaf I realized I was touching down slightly :eek: OH CRAP......I'm merging, and running out of road and I'm scraping.....OH CRAP......I started on the right side of the onramp curve and I'm now almost on the white line that seperates me from the slow lane and a BIG OLE TRUCK and I can't lean any more cause at this point I'm really grinding the hell out of whatever I'm leaned over on....OH CRAP......OK, so it levels out and I unclinch my ass to release the subframe from my anus I had sucked up in there after the seat completely dissapeared up there first.

I then get my first wiff a dissapointment "well it sure as hell can't lean" It was then that I peered down at the speedo to notice that I was in fact going over 80

Yeah it can lean....and did damn fine for a cruiser...I just didn't realize the SPEED I had taken the cloverleaf....holy cow

OK so minor dissapointment replaced again with pleasure with performance

OK...time to take it over 100

I ran it thru 4th and was well over 100 and LOVING it.....wind was minimal....actually I probibly get more wind on the bird at 100 than on this even with NO screen

Stable mable did GREAT.....no buffeting and the cross winds and turbulence from trucks was non-existant.

I got back to the road where the dealer was and wanted to see if she'd do a burnout off throttle. At the light I hammered it. No burnout :( What it DID do was raise the front tire 2-3" :eek:

MAN...this stupid bike freakin ROCKS!!!!!!

Yes....sad to say, I once trashed hardleys....until I rode the V-rod...Harleys FIRST bike to make me actually want one

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ya know if they would pull a couple of degrees of rake out of that frame and put some mid controls on it...........

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
We both just bought our bikes. His first and mine. Who knows now. He was beating me at first. If you look at the 0-60 the V-Rod is just a little slower.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
My friend had those same pipes on his. They sounded good. I put about 200 miles on it. It was cool to ride it around. I got a lot of looks. He got it when they were first out. Loved the torque.

I meant quarter mile time when I said it was a little slower. I can't find the sheet. It was in a motorcyclist mag I have. I lists every sporty bike in there.

Here it is.....

Manufacturer Model Hp Torque Quarter Mile Roll On Wet Weight Ergos Last Tested

H-D V-Rod ('02) 109.3 @ 8250 74.3 @ 7000 11.31 @ 114.95 4.05 620 24.7/30.1/14.4 4/02

Honda CBR600F4i ('01) 95.5 @ 12,500 42.6 @ 10,250 10.71 @ 126.7

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
Hey Caster, have you tried the Honda Valkirie Rune or the Yamaha RoadStar Warrior???

You must try the "sport" metrics if you want to compare them to the VRod.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Süsser Tod said:
Hey Caster, have you tried the Honda Valkirie Rune or the Yamaha RoadStar Warrior???

You must try the "sport" metrics if you want to compare them to the VRod.

Warrior rocked but doesn't ride worth a poop

NOONE can ride a rune....not unless you put $25,000 in the hand of the salesman first

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turns out I was scraping the frame in the back where the swingarm mounts

I was leaned over pretty good I suppose....

salesman said he didn't doubt it as he looked over at my truck and pointed to the license plate

"anyone with KNEDRAGR for a license place is gonna test the lean angle on a test ride" :lol

What can I say...I'm use to nearly laying it on the ground when I ride :lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have to agree. That is the only Harley worth owning or even sitting on. A buddy of mine got his when I got my YZF. The thing actually has better 0-60 times than mine does. He beat me off the line every time.

Of course, it is a Harley so after two years he only has about 4,000 miles on it :)

I took it out a few times and really did enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Put that in a Buell chassis and you'd have one hell of a bike. Those VRods are nice though, I'd buy one if I had the cash.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lok said:
Put that in a Buell chassis and you'd have one hell of a bike.
Crap that'd be insane.

·
Registered
126 Posts
CasterTroy said:
I wanna bike I can ride slow and enjoy the ride, as well as one with character. I've ridden all the metric cruisers and they just lack any character whatsoever......power yes...but boring, no character what-so-ever...if you've ever ridden an RC51/TLR/ducati you know what character I'm talking about
You're going to miss the metric cruisers when you find yourself stranded on the highway because it broke down. I know the V-Rod had very serious reliability issues when it came out, but I don't know if they improved anything. I myself passed about 3 V Rods being towed on the side of the road, no kidding. Anyways, they are far too expensive. Still look nice though.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts