Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some joe rocket alter ego pants made of a rock tex 660 denier shell with 1050 denier reinforcments on the knees and i was just wondering abotu the quality of this material. Would this stuff be the same as wearing a 660 denier cordura pair of pants? i'm asking cuz i just read about the vanson vent pants which are made of 1000 denier cordura but aren't really useable as an overpant (which was sort of what i wanted to use them for). I'm mostly concerned about how much abrasian resistance i can expect from the joe rocket pants. is the denier rating system standardized so that i can expect the same abrasian resistance from two different materials with the same rating? thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
No it is not! Denier is a measure of the thread thickness. You could have 500 denier Cordura, Cotton, Linen, Polyester, Balistic Nylon, and so on. So for an abrasion comparison, you can only look at the denier of like materials.

For motorcycling use, it is best to use garmets with the outer shell constructed of nylon (cordura is a nylon) or a kevlar blend. Polyester melts at a relitively low 350 F. Kevlar by itself does not hold together very well (blended with cordura and lycra it is extremely strong and called Scholler's Keprotech). Cordura is a Nylon produced by Dupont that has excelent abrasion qualities (look for at least 500 Denier).

Each manufacturer has thier own proprietary fabric, rocktex, hypertex, ect. It can be extremely hard to find out what they are actually made out of.

Vanson uses 1000 denier cordura in a few of thier products as you mentioned. And I've found only good reviews about the FirstGear hypertex, just get the highest denier you can. Also, check out Motoport. This company uses 1000 denier cordura and Scholer's Keprotech exclusively. The site has a lot of information on textiles as well as some abrasion resistant comparisons.

http://www.motoport.com/
http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhid...ax=760-752-9317&Merchant_Phone=1-800-777-6499

Also keep in mind the speeds you'll be traveling. I personally think your pants will probably be OK from an abrasion standpoint if the seams hold together. We street riders are most likely to hit something before we slide too teribly far (unless maybe interstate riding). SO keep in mind your riding habits, locals, and speeds.

I've spent a lot of time calling manufactures, scouring the web, and it is extremely hard to find quality information and comparisons. Just use your head and look for reviews where the wearer crashed. Sorry this got kinda long winded....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply, that was really informative. I ended up just calling joe rocket and they said that the rock tex is a cordura with an extra abrasion resistant coating on it. sounds like i'll just keep the pants then. :beer

·
Registered
457 Posts
Been down in FG Hypertex. Cant even tell the pants have seen the pavement. Huge bruise on my hip, though.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
The weave can vary as well. Vanson ventilator jacket uses a loose weave and a tight weave. Motoport uses non-coated cordura, most is backed with polyrurethane. As to the advantages to any of them, the bottom line is the disclaimer tag you wil lfind on most of them, like this one for the Aerostich Roadcrafter:

Legal Notice: These garments are not considered to be personal protective equipment as defined in or within the scope of, the personal protective equipment (EC Directive) regulations 1992 (S.I.1992/3139) and no liability will be accepted arising out of these garments non-compliance with such regulations.

Those EC Directives it references are performance standards, just like DOT or Snell for your helmet. So not only will they not protect you against anything you can dream up in a courtroom, they won't even meet baseline testing requirements in order to say that they had any effect on an outcome at all.

It's way too ambiguous to be spending that kind of money with any kind of hopes or expectations. Same goes for leathers, only to a lesser degree, since their is more anecdotal evidence surrounding leather options.

·
Registered
144 Posts
AirForceTeacher said:
Been down in FG Hypertex. Cant even tell the pants have seen the pavement. Huge bruise on my hip, though.
can you be more specific as to your incident?

How fast were you going? high side, low side? in town or backroads?

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts