Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone give me some route advice? Planning on taking a long ride on Sunday. Just moved here from Northern VA and I am going through twisty withdrawls! I am living in Ahwatukee.....and was thinking about something like this:

Start on 87 (North of Mesa) -> Payson
then take 260 East all the way to Show Low
then take 77/60 West to Globe
then 60 all the way back into town
and maybe a quick tortilla flats run if I have any energy left

Will any part of this ride suck?
Is there a better way to make this loop?
Are there any good side roads off of these roads that are worth taking (with good pavement)...

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's a pretty ambitious ride at about 330miles. I rode 305 today and it wore me out.

Not a whole lot of twisties though, but enough curves to keep your interest up. That is the thing about the desert, you have to cross great expanses of flat to get to the good stuff! A very scenic ride! Enjoy.

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
60 through Salt River Canyon is racetrack-like.

Tortilla flats is dangerous, but a good test of skill.

be careful. Don't do either when tired. Do SRC on a weekday if you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info/advice....
Not used to the twisties being so far away...sucks you have to ride forever just to get to the good stuff!
Not sure if I am going to head out that way or take a more northerly route....
Like 87 N to 260....out to Prescott.....parts of 89 look really sweet (on the map that is)....plus the temps should be nicer.
Don't really mind long rides......I have been know to go on 10 hour rides before....
Anyway....thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
863 Posts
If you go to wickenburg then take the 89 to Prescott it is pretty sweet!! Going up the mountain before Yarnell there are some monster sweepers that you can really get going around. Then its a little ways of straights then some good twisties for a while before you get into Precott. That would be a perfect ride for this weekend. Get out of the heat thats coming. Just be careful in the twisties before Prescott after Yarnell. Last time we were out there we saw a motorcycle cop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
exmarinegrunt said:
If you go to wickenburg then take the 89 to Prescott it is pretty sweet!! Going up the mountain before Yarnell there are some monster sweepers that you can really get going around. Then its a little ways of straights then some good twisties for a while before you get into Precott. That would be a perfect ride for this weekend. Get out of the heat thats coming. Just be careful in the twisties before Prescott after Yarnell. Last time we were out there we saw a motorcycle cop.
Yup! That's where I did my 300 miles yesterday! Rode the twisties between Wilcoit & Prescott 3 times, then went to the stretch between Congress & Yarnell (My favorite part) and did about 4 laps there and went home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I ended up heading to Wickenberg and up 89 to prescott....the two sets of twisties through there were pretty awesome...I was impressed! Then we headed over to I-17 up to Camp Verde and took 260 to 87 down through Payson and back home...Had some good twisties through there too....but 89 proved to be much better.
VA/WV still has AZ beat so far though.....

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
R6Chris said:
VA/WV still has AZ beat so far though.....
Hmmm... prolly. But you gotta do some of the other spots before drawing final conclusions.

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
Because there will still be snow in areas and sand. Around 7000ft elevation in spots. I rode it for the first time over Memorial Day and it was cold a shit.

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
I did it the weekend before Memorial day - about this time of the year - it was warm, but the melting snow had left rockfalls in some of the apexes. And the forestry dept was doign a burn across the road at one point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
exmarinegrunt said:

I try taking that route every other week after work. Since I work close to the back entry of Prescott. It is very fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
dued just moved here and i want to check out these roads. i have not seen any twisties out here. just desert. i know it is summer, but post up if any of you are going on some of these rides. im hurtin for some twisties, and sick of the damn 101.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was thinking about checking out 60 (between Globe to Show Low). I see the initial post says it is heavily patroled with little chance of getting out of a ticket. Are there just certain spots to look out for? Are there good sections that are rarely/never patroled? Any recent experiences? Is it worth the risk?

191 sounds/looks sweet.... too bad it is so damn far away!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
R6Chris said:
I was thinking about checking out 60 (between Globe to Show Low). I see the initial post says it is heavily patroled with little chance of getting out of a ticket. Are there just certain spots to look out for? Are there good sections that are rarely/never patroled? Any recent experiences? Is it worth the risk?

191 sounds/looks sweet.... too bad it is so damn far away!
The whole thing is patrolled, there is usually a cop driving up and down it. The good twisties only last about 5-10 miles if that but they are worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
R6Chris said:
That section of tarmac, Salt River Canyon (SRC), is worth the trip. It's pretty quick and flowing and the surface is very good. A risk? No, it's a challenge.:)

·
Supmo
717 Posts
CSB39 said:
That section of tarmac, Salt River Canyon (SRC), is worth the trip. It's pretty quick and flowing and the surface is very good. A risk? No, it's a challenge.:)

+11 That is my favorite road and deff worth the ride! It's awesome because it's like an effin' race track out there! The ONE TIME I'VE SEEN A COP, he was busy with an accident where a cager took out a guard rail.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies. I am guessing SRC is the section about 40miles past Globe? That part of the map is what really made me want to check out this road!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts