Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good tips on dealing with road rash and helping to get it to heal quicker?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Make sure all the road crap is cleaned out. You could get a real nasty infection otherwise. If the skin around it starts turning red and is tender, infection, go see a doc.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Road rash is laceration, bruising, and burn. Infections are common.

Debriding and constant cleanliness are mandatory. Treat it like a burn. Use a topical antibiotic. Change sterile dressings often and keep it covered. Don't let it come in contact with clothing. A course of oral antibiotics can aid healing.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Wear gear.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just a question, don't mean to be an asshole but will you be wearing leather after this or is it not worth the hassle?

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. The only gear I didn't have was leather pants. The rash areas arn't big at all but I have never had it before. It's going to be kind of hard to keep it from coming into contact with anything. I tried scrubbing it as much as i could with soap but I don't know if I got everything. After the accident it was really red. A couple hours later when I got home it was kinda black. I rubbed my bar of soap into it as much as i could and now its back ot being red again for the most part. Still some grey stuff though. I'm taking another shower to scrub it out again. You can only bear so much because it hurts like b2tch.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could that black/grey stuff just be dead skin? Because thats what it really looked like. I'm trying to avoid medical bills if possible. Everytime I go to the hospital it is $500 a pop at least. Crappy insurance through work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The black/grey crap is asphalt and dirt that you missed. In my experience with road rash you have to get crazy with it. Get a green srubby....meanie...whatever and scrubb the crap out of it. After that neosporin becomes your best friend. Expect some really great scars as well, but you can use them to get chics later. Women love that sort of thing. I've went down going fast enough to wear through the hip of a Dianese 1 piece, in all my time at the track I'm kind of a road rash guru.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.... I don't have anything else to scub it out with right now. I tried like hell with the soap and hand. How come all that grey stuff wasn't there right after the accident? The rash wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't where it was. One is about a five inch peice on my outside shin on left leg. The other is right be low my ass cheek. That is the one that hurts because that skin has to flex when i move my leg. What do you mean by a green scrubby/meanie?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
make sure you scrub the living piss outta it, then leave it alone. No badages, no ointments, just nice clean air to help it dry out. You cant make road rash heal any faster. Your body heals at it's own rate. One thing you can do, is stop falling, then you wont get road rash.... :twofinger hahah!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm thinking you need to get checked out by a doctor. Don't bother with the emergency room, but make an appointment with a physician.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah, if you don't have the right tools to properly scrub all the dirt out and soap and water isn't working seeing a doctor is worth the money. A lot of people blow off the doctor and say I don't have the money so I can go when in reality they should go and pay the money now instead of having a b***** bill later when it gets worse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine wasn't real big, maybe 4 or 5 inches on my arm and leg. I just cleaned it out with soap and water, in the shower with no hard scrubing. Then I would turn the water off and dump peroxide all over it and turn the water back on to wash all the fome off. It stun like a motherf*cker, but no infection and about a quater sized dark spot on my arm.
The Peroxid really cleans it out.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
There's a numbing (sp?) spray you can buy at the local drug store. Spray that on it and then it's numb, then you can scrub all you want. :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
^^yea ambesol or anestesol(sp?) works well as a numbing agent as well. Also take your vitamins and double up on vitamin E.

I've never had rash from crashing a bike, but have had plenty of burns and rash from other things.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts