Sport Bikes banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I ride Ortega twice a day to and from work Monday - Friday. 8:00 am west bound and 5:00pm eastbound.

This is what I have seen this week.

Caltrans said it will be one lane in the construction zone for 3 years.

They close the road completely from
8:30pm - 4:30am

** there are lots of CHP out there now and not just in the construction area. I've seen people pulled over on both ends... BE AWARE. ****

There is always a CHP at the beginning
of the construction area. I have seen them on both sides.

They usually don't bother about lane sharing past stopped cars if you are going slow enough.

I wouldn't split in the construction zone. But I will pass on the MM 15 straight and a couple others, use your judgment.

I'm not assuming anyone is foolish, but one way traffic may still have construction vehicles in opposing lanes past the construction area.

Morning Westbound .... 8:00 am

I have found minimal ( 5 minutes) to no delays in the morning.

They have been moving the flag man, every day it's been different.

Expect stopped cars just past the long straight at MM 15, but the flag man has been as far back as a mile west of the Riverside county line.

Traffic slows to about 30 mph for a 4 mile section then back up to full speed.

I haven't seen any debris in the roadway from the construction. ( little rocks here and there from the hills with the rain)

5:00 pm eastbound.

The last few days I have seen traffic backed up for miles. I ride the center yellow and the shoulder to get to the front or close and jump in as they start moving.

Traffic tends to back up past the light at Nichols institute ( Quest) from 5:00 - 6:30 pm.

The flagman is just past the ranger station past the 2 long straights w passing lanes. Or he is at the narrow bridge at the start of the twisties.

Today at 4:00pm only about 20 cars backed up and I split to the front. CHP didn't seem to mind. I rode the right shoulder to the front.

Anyway the construction as of now is between MM 13 -14 OC side ( just past narrow bridge, as you enter the twisties)

Because of the construction delay I have yet to see traffic backed up at the decent into Elsinore at any of the normal rush hour places. ( but don't assume they wont be) ie; 75mph into a blind corner.

Hope this helps.
Ride and pass where safe.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Nasty accident on Hwy 67 North at the IS of 67N and Vigalante Rd today guys...

#1 and #2 lanes closed...traffic is being diverted to the shoulder.

Expect Delays.

Increased police activity on the 2/Angeles Crest Highway (La Canada/Pasadena side) during the work day (I sometimes leave work to do a 20 minute run from the 210 to the bathrooms at the fork & ranger ministation). Twice in the last two weeks, I've had riders following me pick up tickets. Both CHP cruisers and CHP bike cops patrolling and hiding around corners and under trees.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Anyone Riding Hwy 67 BEWARE!

CHP activity has quadrupled on the 67.

There was a news segment on the "Deadliest Road in San Diego" last night and things are crazy right now.

The last week I've seen speed traps in the morning and night every day. The chopper patroling and a vehicle checkpoint Southbound just past Scripps Poway Parkway where they were pulling vehicles over at random.

Do not screw around on the 67 or you're going to get poped.

mesa grande

the windy side(?) of mesa grande (the not nicely paved side) is pretty nasty. a few weeks ago they filled in the cracks with tar and now it is pretty slippery, so be careful.

Wynola Road.

Carefull out in the local SD mountains....we hit a very slick patch of ice on Wynola Road (pretty sure it was Wynola) this morning. The road on the back side of the hill was still pretty wet in the shade around noon. One rider dropped it in the ice (had 25+ in the group). Bike torn up some, but still ridable, no injuries that I'm aware of.

SAND on Palomar its seemed really bad for on the double yellows AND one whole curve on the way up! Be careful! That same rider that went down today apparently narrowly missed a freaking cow on the way up Palomar last week on the south grade at near the start...she went into a ditch saved the bike.

So in light of the upcoming weekend of forcasted temps in the 70's and lots of sun. Moldmaker and myself being the givers that we are. Decided to scout out a good portion of the Santa Monica mountains today.

Lets start with the start shall we? Using a scale of 1 to 10,I'll rate the roads traveled,and note anything very out of the ordinary..

Decker Cyn = 6 A fair bit of water runoff in areas particularilly on the NB side

Mullholland from Decker to Las Virgenes = 7 More runoff but surprizingly clean
Very damp in the shaded areas through the "Snake" as they call it

Piuma/Las flores = 7 North side of Piuma has lots of damp shaded areas as well as water runoff in spots

Latigo Cyn = 8 A touch dirty,but still fun through the middle section

Encinal Cyn = 6 Dirty and lots of water runoff

Mullholland between PCH/Leo Carillo and Decker Cyn = 7 Lo 8 Way better than I thought it would be. Just the usual dirty spots really.

Potrero Cyn all the way to Decker = 7 Funny farm side is quite dirty,and the hidden valley side has some dirt and heavier water in the right hander after the trailhead parking in NP

Thank you and good night !!!! :beer

So in light of the upcoming weekend of forcasted temps in the 70's and lots of sun. Moldmaker and myself being the givers that we are. Decided to scout out a good portion of the Santa Monica mountains today...
Yes, a great ride today, one of the best 250 miles I've ever had, thanks Pancho!

The only thing I'll add is probably relevant to any canyon ride in SoCal this weekend: watch for dirt/sand/rocks everywhere! I have seen this on every ride I've been on in the past 2 weeks, those storms have made every hillside unstable.

You have been warned, have a safe ride out there.

In case anyone rides the Malibu area.

Northbound topanga canyon is tore to shit north of the post office/town. Lots of construction blocking traffic both ways during the week, watch your corners because cars can be stopped out of view. Came up kinda quick on a stopped car the other day.

Glad people have used this in the last 2 years.....hah

mosquito ridge

the road is flat trashed

I havnt been on it in 3 years and what once was new road and no cops is now something to avoid all together.

you name it pot holes gravel trees ect

went up today as far as we could 4/27 and at the end you cant go right or left due to trees and snow.

sucked to cause we had to go back over the rough areas again, like to beat us to death.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.