Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all accustomed to potholes. But the amount of defects in the road around here are staggering.
Yesterday I was riding through town at slightly over the speed limit as usual.
Just as my mini Cobra was getting hard under acceleration I noticed death right out of the corner of my eye. The road had a absence of asphalt measuring roughly 3 feet in diameter and over a foot in depth. Not a sign or warning anywhere in sight. Had I been riding an farther to the right of my lane I would've been toast.
Now, in retrospect, I'm considering legal options if I ever come across something like this again and go down. Has anyone ever sued the government (local/state) for road defects which caused a crash? If there were hazard signs around I could understand, but this is just ridiculous.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I see a comerical for a lawer for accidents due to road defects all the time so I would say you could.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe the criteria is that:

1) The defect has to be above a certain size

2) Whichever government is responsible (local, county, state, whatever) has to have been made aware of the defect, in writing, and

3)They did nothing about it in some time frame

Laws vary from place to place, so you'll have to check on specifics.

Scott :)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
My wife ran through an un-signed hole in the street once in her car. She popped the tire and bent the rim. The construction company paid for a new rim and tire as they had taken down a barricade a little too soon. If something like that happens, you would need to figure out who is responsible starting with the city, county or whatever is responsible for that stretch of road. They may tell you to contact the construction company doing the work directly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts