Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed a set of the rizoma rearsets on my bike and love them. The only thing I did different is I installed folding pegs on mine. All I can say is PJ delivered them to me quickly, they are high quality, they have a more natural ankle position, and they don't get in the way as much backing the bike up.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
First off a big "Thank You" to Jcaesar and everyone who contributes and posts about FZ6 mods!! I didn't know a lot of this stuff exisited or was possible until I started reading about it all on this forum! Thank you all for your ideas, research and inspiration!

Thanks to this topic on Rizoma Rear Sets, I...

a) Found out that Rizoma's existed and have a set made for the FZ6

b) emailed PJ today and ordered up a set!!!!!!

When I saw this topic the other week I was in awe! These rear sets look bad ass and I knew I just had to have a set. I will be printing off this thread to aid me in their installation so thanks again Jcaesar for taking the time to make that awesome write up! I'll post a pic or two when I get em on.

They should arrive in a week or so. Dealing with PJ was a breeze and a pleasure and thanks to the reviews on this forum, I didn't have a moments hesitation in sending him the $$$.

Now all I need are those Two Bro's slip on's and I will be set for srping!! (they will be mine...oh yes...they WILL be mine!!!)

Thanks again everyone!

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
Just received the RIZOMA rearsets today!! My god are they nice! I almost needed a moment alone with myself.... :smokin

Looks like I got a project just in time for the weekend now! hee hee

·
Registered
885 Posts
pics.

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
They look the exactly the same as the ones previously posted by Jcaesar. I will snap a few pics over the weekend during and after the install.

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
Well here is what I have to add to the installation and review of these rear sets.

Installation: (went prety smooth thanks to JCaesar's write up)

Shifter side

- I have them set up at the farthest back and highest position. This is due to mainly because they could not be mounted too low or else the foot shifting lever will hit the side of your kick stand when you down shift!

- Even in the highest position the foot pad of the center stand comes in contact with the fiber glass boot guard!!! This kind of shocked me. I dremeled out the rear bolt hole on the boot gaurd so I could rotate it up more, but this still didn't give it enough room. So I tried moving the shifter assembly forward one set of holes, but it still had the same issue.

I deceided to live with it for now. All in all not a huge deal as I don't use the center stand too much and I am mindfull of it when using it now.

March 05, 2006 UPDATE: I ended up making a little custom aluminum bracket to elevate the shifter side heal guard up and away from the center stand 'foot pad'. If you install RIZOMA's and use the centerstand you will either have to make a bracket similar to this or cut out about 1" off the center stand foot post and re-weld it as it WILL Interfear with the heal guard.

See post below for picture of the bracket

- It took quite a while to set them up as you can adjust them six ways of Sunday!! (a good thing!)

- I didn't re-used the stock 'washers' from the 2 main mounting bolts for two reasons;
1- the instructions do not say to re-use them (they do mention to re-use other rubber bushings and pins)
2- They are too big and don't serve much purpose on the Rizoma's

Brake side

- Went on quickly but had a heck of a time properly adjusting the brake light switch. I had the plastic nut maxed so the switch was as close to the brake assembly as posible but the switch was constantly on (brake lights always on). I got it as close as I could so if you breathed on the brake lever the brake lights would come on...not good enough. So I very slightly stretched the spring connecting the brake light switch to the foot lever and that solved the problem. There was just too much tension pulling on the switch which activated it, stretching the spring releaved the tension on the switch mechanisim.

Ready for mounting

All done!

O-rings - As mentioned Rizoma uses a twisted o-ring instead of a spring on the rear of the brake lever.
IMPORTANT: Remove the o-ring before adjusting (un-screwing) the brake lever assembly to a new position!!

I didn't and since one half of the o-ring is attached to the back of one of the adjustment bolts, I broke it when extracting the bolt (doh). They supply a replacement one which I twisted several times and replaced....but this one snapped on it's own a few seconds later when I was trying to adjust the swtich. No big deal as one can easily buy o-ring, but after it was all hooked up I wasn't sure of what this o-ring's (spring) use/purpose was as once all attached to the brake cyclinder and the brake switch spring, you don't really need any more "tension" or "srpings" to hold the lever. It's solid as a rock and works very smoothly. So for now I am not using one at all.

Conclusion:

I love em! I went for a quick ride today and made a few minor adjustmests as I went, but all in all they feel great. Shifting and braking activation are smooth and the riding position feels good.

A word on the non fodling pegs. AWESOME! I have a short inseam (i'm only 5' 7") and could never quite 'flat foot' the bike. I found the stock folding levers were right in the way of my legs (poked into the side ofmy calves). Now with the Rizoma's a bit farther back and the pegs not as long, my legs are now just in front of the pegs when walking the bike! Fits like a glove!

I am very happy with them thus far despite the shifter boot gaurd/center stand issue.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Wished they made these for the 2004 Daytona 600

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
Additional pics:

Rizoma "Installation Diagram"

Stock Brake side removal

Stock Rubber/Metal 'washers' I did not re-use

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
Update: Heal Guard / Center Stand Interference issue

I ended up making a little custom aluminum bracket to elevate the shifter side heal guard up and away from the center stand 'foot pad'. If you install RIZOMA's and use the centerstand you will either have to make a bracket similar to this or cut out about 1" off the center stand foot post and re-weld it as it WILL Interfear with the heal guard.

Apparantly they don't have/use the center stands on the FZ6's in Italy where the Rizoma's were designed and built, so this minor "design interference" issue was never discovered, nor was a concern.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts