Sport Bikes banner

Rizoma Frame Sliders

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  lbjester 
#1 · (Edited)
Any one have Rizoma Frame Sliders Skippy yours look similar to them(LSL though I think?). I can get them for $89CAD. Think they'd protect the left crank case cover and the front signals too?? They actually call them a fairing guard. I don't want a reoccurrence of my latest experience. There used to be a thread where someone laid their bike sown with the sliders to show how well they protected everything, but the archives are down...

#2 ·
lbjester said:
Any one have Rizoma Frame Sliders Skippy yours look similar to them(LSL though I think?). I can get them for $89CAD. Think they'd protect the left crank case cover and the front signals too?? They actually call them a fairing guard. I don't want a reoccurrence of my latest experience. There used to be a thread where someone laid their bike sown with the sliders to show how well they protected everything, but the archives are down...
You can always get the engine guards. They're a little more itneresting than the frame sliders (I think) and do a good job in protecting the goods. At least, they did their job in the couple of tip overs that I've had.

Here they are, these are genuine Yamaha ones. I got them via my dealer.

-Q

#3 ·
qualdoth said:
You can always get the engine guards. They're a little more itneresting than the frame sliders (I think) and do a good job in protecting the goods. At least, they did their job in the couple of tip overs that I've had.

I know this is sbujective, but, why do you find the engine bars more interesting? To me they look like an afterthought. They are not as elegant as a simple pair of frame sliders that project out from the side of the bike.

I have never liked engine guards/crashbars on any motorcycle as, (to me) they do not *appear* to fit the looks of the bike. IOW, they do not integrate well with the design of a bike.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

#5 ·
rennsport said:
I know this is sbujective, but, why do you find the engine bars more interesting? To me they look like an afterthought. They are not as elegant as a simple pair of frame sliders that project out from the side of the bike.

I have never liked engine guards/crashbars on any motorcycle as, (to me) they do not *appear* to fit the looks of the bike. IOW, they do not integrate well with the design of a bike.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Funny you say that, actually. My experiences have actually been quite the opposite. In my experience, most of the frame sliders I have seen have been rather ugly and appear as afterthoughts (The LSL ones being an exception!). Most of the frame sliders I have seen just look like things that have been stuck onto the frame, without really fitting into the design of the bike. Again, the LSL ones definitely being the exception. If I didn't have the engine bars, I'd probably be looking for those frame sliders.

I find that most people out there have frame sliders, engine bars are far more unique (on sporty bikes, of course). These particular ones I like because they offer the protection, but they aren't nearly as huge as the many other engine guards you see out there, especially the sorts you see on cruisers. In my opinion, these ones actually work pretty decently with the look and feel of the bike (a naked sport bike). In fact, when I got them, I was surprised at how many compliments I'd received about them. Quite a few people actually thought that the engine bars were stock with the bike.

I guess that's what makes things interesting, we all like different things.

As for the other question regarding their price, they are somewhere between $100-200 CDN. I keep meaning to check my paperwork to pull out the exact pricing, I'll send myself an e-mail to try to remember to do that =)

Cheers,
-Q

#7 ·
I think they look sharp too. In fact, I'd love to install both the sliders and the engine guard (paranoid, ya know), but apparently that isn't possible.

On a side note, I've had trouble finding a Canadian dealer that will either (a) respond to my e-mails or (b) ship the part to the U.S. (0-for-5 so far). :lame

Anyone have a good source in Canada that I can try? Ordering online would be even better!

Matt

#8 ·
MattUF said:
I think they look sharp too. In fact, I'd love to install both the sliders and the engine guard (paranoid, ya know), but apparently that isn't possible.

On a side note, I've had trouble finding a Canadian dealer that will either (a) respond to my e-mails or (b) ship the part to the U.S. (0-for-5 so far). :lame

Anyone have a good source in Canada that I can try? Ordering online would be even better!

Matt
Try my dealer I've had good response from them via e-mail http://www.freedomcycle.ca/
Weather or not they will ship to the US is yet to be said. Barring that if I decide get them I could maybe order 2 and send you a set.

#10 ·
IronChefCJP said:
For the LSL framesliders, is it a set? I put one in my cart, and it only came out to be like...30 bucks. Is that just for one?

Edit:

Sorry, forgive the n00bness, I just sent them an e-mail.
That was probably just for the mounting kit, you will need to add the sliders as a seperate item.

Skippy

#11 ·
IronChefCJP said:
For the LSL framesliders, is it a set? I put one in my cart, and it only came out to be like...30 bucks. Is that just for one?

Edit:

Sorry, forgive the n00bness, I just sent them an e-mail.
You actually are ordering the crash pads for about $54.00 and then the Mounting Kits(Sold Separately), which come in pairs unless like I need to replace the right side(which I believe they did there job in the dumping of the bike), I need to ask about that, but I paid $109.00 for crash pads and the Mounting Kits, shipping and all.

#12 ·
qualdoth said:

Here they are, these are genuine Yamaha ones. I got them via my dealer.
-Q
These look fantastic. I went to a local dealer (US dealer) and they had no list for it or even knowledge of such a thing. Can you please track down the cost and part numbers. I want! :leghump

#13 · (Edited)
scanevalexec said:
These look fantastic. I went to a local dealer (US dealer) and they had no list for it or even knowledge of such a thing. Can you please track down the cost and part numbers. I want! :leghump
Here is the part number 5VX-W0741-30-00 Cost is $131.95CAD (98.93 USD) In stock in Toronto. Link to them on the UK site. Delivery is 3 days ARO. I called my dealer and they will ship to the US provided that you pay all freight and duty charges. www.freedomcycle.ca

I'd suggest you check again with your dealer and see if they can get them. (Cheaper I'm sure) Mine didn't think they could get them either at first until I gave them the part number and they found out they could get them.

Can someone answer my original question please? Will frame sliders protect your crankcase covers in a drop/slide? And what about the fairing? If not I'm going to get the engine guard.

:feedback

#14 ·
lbjester said:
Here is the part number 5VX-W0741-30-00 Cost is $131.95CAD (98.93 USD) In stock in Toronto. Link to them on the UK site. Delivery is 3 days ARO. I called my dealer and they will ship to the US provided that you pay all freight and duty charges. www.freedomcycle.ca

I'd suggest you check again with your dealer and see if they can get them. (Cheaper I'm sure) Mine didn't think they could get them either at first until I gave them the part number and they found out they could get them.

Can someone answer my original question please? Will frame sliders protect your crankcase covers in a drop/slide? And what about the fairing? If not I'm going to get the engine guard.

:feedback
Great detective work lbjester! I know I've been terrible about checking the details of those bars, my apologies for not being able to post the info.

It's weird how these bars seem to be so difficult to get. I don't see why. I mean, it's a genuine Yamaha accessory, so it shouldn't be a big deal to have it offered in the US and Canada. I had figured they were easy to get because my dealer had told me about them when I was buying the bike, he had gotten an e-mail from Yamaha regarding various accessories for the FZ6.

Even weirded was that your dealer, lbjester, initially didn't think they could get them until YOU provided them with a part number. Shouldn't the dealers make it easy for us to spend our money with them? ;)

Cheers,
-Q

#16 ·
lbjester said:
Qualdoth,

Do the bars make it harder to do an oil change now? What's the clearance around the filter like?
I'll tell you in the next few days. I'm doing my first oil change in a couple of days (the first ever oil change on the bike, I had a dealership do it, this one I'm doing on my own).

-Q

#18 ·
I just got off the phone with my Yamaha dealer here in Texas and they say that the part number is not valid - meaning it is not coming upm in their database because it IS a UK part number.

He did inform me of a different approach to take to frame sliders. He says that Yamaha has a slider that replaces the front tunr signals and has LED inserts. I'm gonna check em out on Saturday, so I'll put up a pic and a part number for anyone interested.

#19 ·
superman89 said:
I just got off the phone with my Yamaha dealer here in Texas and they say that the part number is not valid - meaning it is not coming upm in their database because it IS a UK part number.

He did inform me of a different approach to take to frame sliders. He says that Yamaha has a slider that replaces the front tunr signals and has LED inserts. I'm gonna check em out on Saturday, so I'll put up a pic and a part number for anyone interested.

I would like to see a pic of this.

Thanks

#20 ·
lbjester said:
Could you take a close-up pic of the filter area with the guard on? Hard to tell from your above pics. :cheers

:needpics
grin, okies. Will take out the digital cam today/tomorrow and take a couple.

-Q

#21 · (Edited)
superman89 said:

It's not a UK part number it a Yamaha part number period.

Compare the lower cowl on the US site 5VX-W0714-42-00
Same part number on the UK site 5VX-W0714-42-00

It's possible that you just can't get it in the US. But for them to tell you it was a UK part number is :bs

For instance I asked for them to look at the genuine Yamaha frame sliders (part number form the UK site) 5VX-W0741-00-00 and they told me it wasn't coming up as valid part number, in their system (I guess meaning it's not available in Canada through Yamaha Canada)

Must be similar to what you are experiencing in the US.

Not sure how Yamaha works it's distribution of parts but I guess not all countries have access to genuine parts? Squidkiller can you confirm? I'd call my dealer back but they are probably getting sick of me calling :lol

#22 ·
superman89 said:
Very interesting - would like to see it

#23 ·
lbjester said:
It's not a UK part number it a Yamaha part number period.

It's possible that you just can't get it in the US. But for them to tell you it was a UK part number is :bs

Not sure how Yamaha works it's distribution of parts but I guess not all countries have access to genuine parts? Squidkiller can you confirm? I'd call my dealer back but they are probably getting sick of me calling :lol
I called your dealer today and he told me he could order and ship the part to the US. No US source I checked could help me. I have a call in to Yamaha Corp, but I don't expect much from that. I'd like to ask them if they know of any way around paying international shipping by getting it from the source (it is a Yamaha part after all). If something good comes of this, I'll let you all know. Anyway, he can get me the part for the price mentioned earlier, around $100 US charged in Canadian dollars (pronounced Doe-lers :grinbounc ) to your credit card. There is a processing charge of $10 for all the paperwork they have to do and shipping is an unknown at this time. He said international ground can be sort of steep. I'll keep checking for an alternative and let you know the end result.

#24 ·
superman89 said:

I'd like to see these as well.

From my experience with the front turn signals, I wonder how would sliders work in those slots. The side pieces of the fairing aren't solidly attached to the bike, they're only attached by two thin brackets. So would there be a whole new mounting bracket system at the front to accommodate these sliders?

Just a thought. :dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.