Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got done installing my first chain and sprocket. I got a rivet style master link with the chain and bought a chain tool to install the master link. The first master link I cracked one of the rivets badly so I got another one. The second time around I was taking it easy and thought I did a really good job, but again the rivet cracked. This time it was only a very small hair-thin crack.

So I feel like a complete idiot because I already tensioned the chain and tightened my rear axle nut to torque spec and put a cotter pin through it.

However, I had a great idea. I mixed up some JB Weld and applied it to the crack. It's curing right now and it looks pretty good, but I ordered a new master link.

Will I be okay riding on what I have now, or is it super-ultra dangerous? I've seen some mixed feelings of some people saying its the worst thing ever, and others who have ridden on a cracked rivet for many miles.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
A chain break can do huge damage to the bike and rider, especially at high speed, not to mention others on the road. I wouldn't risk it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
If it is just a small crack on the rivet that means you've overtightened the master link. A wee bit of overtightening won't make a whole lot of difference, the o-ring will wear out faster and that's about it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Look at the bright side; now you can get more practice at chain swaps when you undo everything and replace your master link again.

PS: JBWELD is useless on any stressed part.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
All you have to do is mushroom the head on the masterlink. It does not need to be made flat. Do not ride on the JB Weld rigged up thing.....it will end ugly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah so I went ahead and removed the cracked link for the second time. Damn, this is getting old. I'm going to pick up another master link today before work and hopefully will install it tonight or tomorrow morning.

I don't want to over tighten the rivet and crack it like the past two have, but I want to make sure that it's deforming enough to be safe and secure. It seems like I'm getting about 0.01-0.015" of deformation which is about .25-0.40mm. Is that enough deformation for the link to be secure?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I hate them chain tools , I do it the old way with a punch, hammer and drift . Pretty much any deformation will hold it in ,Its a very snug fit to get the master link together , copper tipped rivets are the easiest to deal with .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts