Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn I think I'm in way over my head. I just bought a new chain for my 89 Ninja. The chain on there is an endless chain and the one I bought needs to be riveted together. Does anyone know what I need and how to do it?

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Guess noone told ya chain and sprockets should be changed as a set. Anywho my method is hack off the old chain, CLIP link the new one, RIDE to the nearest shop and have them RIVET the master on for me. I've only bought the D.I.D racing series on two occasions and they've always come with both style master links. If you don't know how to loosen the wheel to accomplish all this better start with getting a shop manual ASAP. Getting the clip link on is easy enough but only use it long enough to get to someone with a RIVET tool for a rivet master link.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Take the swingarm off and the chain does not need to be cut. You should do this anyway to lube up the swing arm pivot point along with the other bearings on the shock mounts.

I just did this a few weeks back, its not that hard. It just takes simple hand tools. Get the service manual for the bike. Haynes probably sells one.

steeltoe is right about the sprockets too. If the chain is junk, the sprockets most likely are too.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Yes, change the sprockets. If you know someone that has a chain breaker, borrow it. Your going to chuck the chain anyway. If it came with a master link clip, you can use that or for better strength, have it riveting on with a rivet gun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts