Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience,comments on risers for the fz6. I am getting pains in my shoulders that I am attributing to me stiff arming the grips and laying forward with the weight carried on my wrists and shoulders. I thought risers might help that. Any thoughts? I saw that sw motech carries them, anyone else? Thanks Everett

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
i have the 1" up and 1" back. i love them. search the forum, i think this has been covered, lots of members have them.
apor

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick comeback. I just ordered them from sw. I didn't know if genmar or someone else made a better product. I tried the search but to no avail. Anyway they are on their way. Thanks again. Everett

·
Engineering Pathologist
598 Posts
I thought about those, but I find that when on the twisties or at hi-way speeds, it doesn't bother me. The 35-45 mph traffic stuff will give me a pain after a while, especially if I haven't ridden in a few days.. How are you usually riding?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ride alot of mixed riding. I might be stop and go and then out in the country for a 30-60 mile run with total mileage of just under 200 miles in an 6-8 hour day. I only get the pain when I do one of these days so I am going to try the risers and hope that helps. It also doesn't help that I am over fifty and have a big upper body ( yeah the stomach is trying to overcome the chest) Oh well. Sometimes it is so bad I think about getting a cruiser. That is bad.

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
try rotating the bars a bit too....I had the same pain on occasion, found that my hands weren't sitting flat on the grips in a confortable riding position....loosened the bars, rotated them a bit (brought the end of the grip about an inch higher) and haven't had the pain come back.....you may need the extra height the risers will add, but this is cheap as cheap and can be done in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
^^ That's what I did and it helped a lot. When you make the adjustment, before locking everything down for good, turn the bars from left lock to right and make sure you are clear of everything - especially the tank - and do this with your hands actually on the grips as if you were riding.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had wrist pain as well (out of shape [unless round is a shape] and too much time at the computer). I tried the bar rotation and it helped some. Bought the SW 1" up & 1" back riser and haven't had much of problem since.

I am looking for some new grips (already have the puppies) that are more barrel shaped. Lee Parks talked about them when I took his class last month but so far I haven't found them. Supposedly they are BMW replacements but as I said, so far no luck...

By the way, one of the threads about installing the risers had a very helpful hint. When you remove the old top clamps lift the bars and place them aft of the existing risers (rag on tank please). The install the new risers and lift the bars up on to them. Otherwise you may not have enough slack in cbles & wires to get over the new risers.

Good luck:beer

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
LarryC said:
When you remove the old top clamps lift the bars and place them aft of the existing risers (rag on tank please). The install the new risers and lift the bars up on to them. Otherwise you may not have enough slack in cbles & wires to get over the new risers.

Good luck:beer
aha! is this why so many people had problems putting them in?
/a

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You shouldn't be putting a lot of weight on the bars in the first place. You need to work on your riding posture meaning knees hugging the tank, arms bent and not supporting weight and wrists turned down just like the BRC course teaches. If you're having those pains, I think you'll benefit a lot more for free with proper positioning.

Sit-ups help too...

·
Registered
734 Posts
apor said:
aha! is this why so many people had problems putting them in?
/a
Yeah, I don't remember who mentioned it in their post but it's the key to no hassle installation. The only thing I had to mess with was one zip tie.

FZ6innh, I'm sure that a better physical condition would help my wrists some but I'm not going to wait until my reincarnation to have a ride that is more comfortable. The risers give me more of the Sport Touring vs. Sport position that I wanted in this bike and I'm quite happy with them.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I believe that was me that mentioned laying the bars towards the tank and i agree w/ you, sir, that even though i do exercise and it has helped that the risers really multiplied the enjoyment of this bike for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just received the risers and installed them. That was easy. I absolutely love them. What a difference it makes on the bike. Not happy with the price and the fact they make you buy the top piece and 4 bolts instead of using what you already have. But I guess that is what it is in the mc business. Tilted the grips upward and it is awesome. Thanks for the feedback. ride safe. Everett semper fi

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rockmurf

Not sure exactly the type of riding you want to do but figured I'd throw this in for the hell of it. I bought the FZ6 because it was a sharp looking bike that I could use for longer trips as well as some sport fun in the mountains (not many of those in Florida). I wanted the more upright position so my old man back wouldn't be dead after a couple hours. The bar risers helped a lot towards what I wanted and last week I added another change that I really like. I went up one tooth in the front (17t) and I am really satisfied with the results. When I am cruising on the freeway at around 75 the tach shows about 6500. That puts it below the buzz range it used to be at (about 7000). Now I no longer look for 7th gear on the freeway and in the mountains 2nd, 3rd and 4th are perfectly suited for my riding style

Just my 2¢ worth

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the heads up on the sprocket. I have about 18k on the bike and I am sure the chain and sprockets will be getting replaced soon. I do a mixed bag of riding. I also have an fjr that I use for the long trips but I so much enjoy riding the fz6 that a 4-600 mile day is not out of the question. Now on to the seat. ouch. Everett

1 - 18 of 18 Posts