Sport Bikes banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Midair collisions with other aircraft (or drone aircraft operated by government agencies) are thankfully rare, but are every pilot's nightmare. We preach situational awareness and keeping one's head on a swivel.
There is a huge difference from being in a massive area with technology to assist you in avoiding being remotely close to another hazardous entity vs being on a motorcycle and all you really have is yourself, your senses, and your reaction.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
There is a huge difference from being in a massive area with technology to assist you in avoiding being remotely close to another hazardous entity vs being on a motorcycle and all you really have is yourself, your senses, and your reaction.
Most aircraft have no TIS or other aircraft avoidance systems, it is just Mark II eyeballs at work. Midair collisions between aircraft are far more frequently fatal for their occupants than collisions between vehicles. Moreover, aircraft can approach in 3 dimensions, thus allowing Murphy plenty of room to bite.

·
Registered
330 Posts
R.I.P.

A tragic reminder that even with ATGATT, circumstances beyond your control can reach out snuff out your life.

And the sad truth is our reflexes *do* slow down as we age. At 35, my reflexes are slower than when I was 18. I expect between 55-70 I will no longer be able to safely ride/drive. I dread that day, but I know I would rather give up the keys and hang up my helmet than kill someone by accident.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
R.I.P.

A tragic reminder that even with ATGATT, circumstances beyond your control can reach out snuff out your life.

And the sad truth is our reflexes *do* slow down as we age. At 35, my reflexes are slower than when I was 18. I expect between 55-70 I will no longer be able to safely ride/drive. I dread that day, but I know I would rather give up the keys and hang up my helmet than kill someone by accident.
If you're riding on reflexes you're doing it wrong. Sorry but that's the truth. In this case, knowing the intersection, I doubt that reflexes had anything to do with it.

KeS

21 - 30 of 30 Posts