Sport Bikes banner

right turn fear?

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Fallguy 
#1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? the move i fear most on the street is the right turn when your light is red...stopping and creeping up, watching for cars coming from ahead, u turning, or coming from the left while trying to put my feet down, keep the bike balanced, and being light on the gas/clutch to keep it moving slightly while covering the break and slowing down if needed just really messes me up...i find i almost freak all the time and its tough to stay concentrated and i manage to make minute mistakes that tend to irk me...anyone else have this problem too?

#2 ·
Just put your feet down. Practice more slow turns. Practice doing a full steering lock figure eight, I think if people can't do those without putting their feet down, they shouldn't ride until they can.

#6 ·
I would guess that you're pretty new not only to riding but also to driving :dunno

After having a long experience of driving, riding came almost natural. Just relax and everything will go smooth. Don't try to think too much into it. Just let it happen by using your brain/muscle reflexes

#7 ·
You've gotta be new to riding so take your time don't rush yourself. I've got a buddy who just started riding this year and he has the same problem. I ride in back when I'm with him (because otherwise I find myself coming to a dead stop almost in the middle of a 55mph road saying "wher the fark did he go") and whenever we're at an intersection he waits for one of every model car to go by before turning right on red same with left for that matter. Practice feathering your clutch (keep the revs constant at about 5g's depending on your bike and find the sweet spot by easing the clutch in and out). Then head over to a parking lot and as Desp said do figure 8's for awhile the more you do the better you'll get. Once you know exactly what the bike will do and you gain some confidence it'll be cake. Learn to just take your time and try not to psych yourself out. Also one last note and I'm not bagging on you but you might want to build some of those control skillz before you head out in traffic it's pretty easy to get crunched out there if your not on top of your machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.