Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted I just started out, but have some questions....
For some reason, when I first started out, wanted to ride everywhere I could, but didn't, because of lack of skill. Now I just ride around the neighbor hood, or across the street to a little plaza where my friend works and hang out every now and then. But while I'm at home, or at my friends work, off the bike. I start to think that I am not in the mood to ride, etc. Then I get on the bike, and automatically get in the mood for riding. Just wondering if anyone else has feelings similar to this, which probably some/most do. Just curious really.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
No way! :D I go to sleep with the thoughts of where I'm going tommorow. I've gotten on mine and ended up hours from my house just because the road lead there. I did 1000 miles in 5 and a half days one week.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not me either. If I dont ride because I am tired or because of the weather. I constantly think about riding. When I get home I am itching to go for a ride. Once I get on my bike a big smile will come on my face when I put my helmet on.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Not me, I get all geeked out just thinking about the weekend and how I can ride my favorite roads. I do a lot of city riding during the week but I'm always looking forward to the weekend. During the riding months I probably go to weather.com about 10 times a day just to make sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
arg, I dream about riding all the time... and I haven't been able to ride since April (i'm preggo) When I get the time, i go into the garage, sit on my ninja and relax thinking about all the great rides I could be on.

So think about it this way.... guys are lucky that they don't have to worry about NOT being able to ride. I can't go riding until next spring : ( and it freaking killing me. :angry

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Ueafa said:
Granted I just started out, but have some questions....
For some reason, when I first started out, wanted to ride everywhere I could, but didn't, because of lack of skill. Now I just ride around the neighbor hood, or across the street to a little plaza where my friend works and hang out every now and then. But while I'm at home, or at my friends work, off the bike. I start to think that I am not in the mood to ride, etc. Then I get on the bike, and automatically get in the mood for riding. Just wondering if anyone else has feelings similar to this, which probably some/most do. Just curious really.
When I first started riding back in '94, yeah, I used to feel like that. Most of it was because even though I loved my bike (GSXR400RR), my skill was near nill, and I was somewhat intimidated by it. I was also bored with the same routine I had developed for myself--riding the same street on base to practice. I wanted to go out the gate, outside my comfort zone, but I was just plain scared.

Fortunately, I had friends that would hound me DAILY so I could go ride with them. They took me through the streets of Tokyo (yep, I made it out the base gate!), up and down hills, and everywhere they could imagine. The guys would semi-block traffic for me (go into the intersection at the green light, park in the intersection, and motion for me to creep [and I did] through), ride in formation so I could "follow the leader" and watch proper riding forms, and also have someone behind me to keep cagers off my rear since I was so freakin' slow. It worked. After awhile, I was the one hounding them to go ride. The crowning moment came when I did my first solo to Tokyo. Scary as hell, but exhilarating.

Now I do the same thing for new riders in my group. Maybe you can have your friends do the same for you. It'll get you past the "I don't wanna ride" feeling when you're not on the bike, and get you to the "when's the next ride?!" itch when you're off it. Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not me, I have had my bike for 3 mos now and have put over 4000 miles on her, like Silver 350 said, the only thing that keeps me off my bike is weather, just me being tired or the wife, lol. I just don't understand how some people only put 2500-3000 miles a year on a bike, a guy I ride with put 24k miles on his bike in just 1.5 years.

Ride with a group, that will help alot, there is safety in numbers and you can observe the way they ride, but make sure it's not with a bunch of squids, you don't want to pick up bad habbits.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
As of recent, I felt I've been riding a bit too much and have taken a break from it. And the fact that I've been working out lately, my whole body is sore. But I'll be back out tomorrow as I have to patrol the street races for my GSX-R 1000...search for my "Stolen Bike" thread for more info on that.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Twinsen said:
.... as I have to patrol the street races for my GSX-R 1000...search for my "Stolen Bike" thread for more info on that.
Jesus....they still haven't found your bike? Damn thieves....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I get the feeling sometimes. Like last night, I was 11:30 already and I was pretty worn out and ready for bed, a freind of mine said she kept seeing bikes on her way home and wanted to go riding. I was worn out and pretty much ready for bed and didn't really want to go, BUT I knew that once I got on I'd wake up and really enjoy the ride. And of course I did, ened up meeting a few others and rode with them, then we all went and played some pool and had a few drinks afterwards. Fun times were had by all. btw-we all switched to cars before going for drinking/pool ;)

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
stephygee said:
Jesus....they still haven't found your bike? Damn thieves....
No, my friends found it. Gonna take a look myself starting tomorrow. He's refairinged it now. But the paint doesn't quite match up and is noticeable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sleep, eat, walk, talk, shit, etc, etc ..riding!

·
Registered
65 Posts
evil girl said:
arg, I dream about riding all the time... and I haven't been able to ride since April (i'm preggo) When I get the time, i go into the garage, sit on my ninja and relax thinking about all the great rides I could be on.

So think about it this way.... guys are lucky that they don't have to worry about NOT being able to ride. I can't go riding until next spring : ( and it freaking killing me. :angry
I'll rent your bike from ya :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mike_V said:
I'll rent your bike from ya :D

LOL. i thought about that to a friend of mine... I'm currently working on getting my hubby to get his damn permit so he can ride. So far I only let him take it around the neighborhood. We have a great 1.5 mile circle here.

what do you currently ride Mike?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm like that a lot... which is usually why I typically only ride on the weekends. But when I get on the bike I'm on it for about 400-600 miles at a time. Heck, last week I did about 3000 miles and I'm on pace for a 20,000 mile year. Also, any time I go out of town for a road trip I take the bike.

The reason I'm like that is because my bike is parked several hundred yards away from me in a garage. So I have to suit up and walk through the heat for 5-10 minutes to get to it. Which is better than it had been when I had to drive across town to get to the bike.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stephygee said:
When I first started riding back in '94, yeah, I used to feel like that. Most of it was because even though I loved my bike (GSXR400RR), my skill was near nill, and I was somewhat intimidated by it. I was also bored with the same routine I had developed for myself--riding the same street on base to practice. I wanted to go out the gate, outside my comfort zone, but I was just plain scared.
Never thought about it that way. I think it might be, just because of the same roads that I take constantly. My skill is getting better rather quickly, atleast according to my friends, who seemed almost shocked at how quick I am coming around (but still not getting ahead of myself), so its good to hear. But I can gurantee almost 100% is because of the taking the same roads all time. Thanks for bringing that up, and for all your replies.

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Never had that feeling, with the possible exception of crap weather, icy/snowy roads, or a sore back (I have a tinge of inflammatory muscles at times). Of course, I can't ride at all now due to a lack of bike. :mad: :mad: When I DO get a bike, and I will come hell or high water, I'll be out on that baby whenever humanly possible.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Ueafa said:
Never thought about it that way. I think it might be, just because of the same roads that I take constantly. My skill is getting better rather quickly, atleast according to my friends, who seemed almost shocked at how quick I am coming around (but still not getting ahead of myself), so its good to hear. But I can gurantee almost 100% is because of the taking the same roads all time. Thanks for bringing that up, and for all your replies.
Yeah, boredom will do it everytime. Before you ride, try mentally planning a new route, then do it....even if it's just riding a couple blocks down from your own. Keeps it interesting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stephygee said:
Yeah, boredom will do it everytime. Before you ride, try mentally planning a new route, then do it....even if it's just riding a couple blocks down from your own. Keeps it interesting.
I tried that today, and it seemed to work. I think a lot of it is also, just how damn hot it is here in AZ and just riding around. Granted its not bad when your moving, but when you stop during the day time........hell, I just want to go back inside with AC! :a2

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I don't get to ride as much as I would like too with school and work, but I do think about it all the time, and when I do go out riding I'll put 300-400 miles on the bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts