Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I were out for a quick ride around the park around 8 last night. I was on my VTR, and he chose his cafe racer setup CB350 over the new triumph sprint. After a couple runs around the park, we pulled over to chill for a minute and ended up talking to two other riders who had stopped.

One guy on a '05 636 and his girl on an f3, and they were both relatively new...
We left to go ride and they came along. Took a pretty sporty pace, but keping it down enough that the CB could hang, so no real speed. After we came out of the twisty part, we pulled over to let them catch up and they never came. Turns out the guy locked up his rear and crashed into a parked car out wide from the turn. Busted his helmet up, but he was fine. From the severity of the damage, and seeing how fast this guy could corner, I'm guessing he only lost it around 25.
A dozen cops, a tow truck, and a TV van showed up within minutes.

The cop kept harrasing they guy, asking him if he was going "60 mph". We almost started laughing like "this man has NEVER seen a real corner at 60 in his life".

His bike was jacked up, but luckily he was wearing a helmet and was alright.

So anyway, my buddy felt pretty bad about letting them ride with us and us possibly having something to do with they guy wrecking his bike. If we had told them they shouldnt ride with us, we'd sound like some cocky fucks. And I'm not gonna go ride super slow all the time just cause other riders might try and keep up... (we weren't even going fast, but apparently is was too fast for zx6-r)

How do yall handle shit like this?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
ExtraJ said:
And I'm not gonna go ride super slow all the time just cause other riders might try and keep up... (we weren't even going fast, but apparently is was too fast for zx6-r)
Or just going to fast for the newbie rider on the 636.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
not your fault.........

rule #1.......ride your own ride.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If I was on an 05 636, I'd be riding careful and at my own pace. Even on my old F3 I didn't try to keep up with the others.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i saw a guy put his brand new gixxer 600 into the ditch out on alligator alley a few years ago... he was a newbie and he came out to run with some of the big boys...

i was right behind him when he lost it on a right turn.. bike went over the other lane and straight into the ditch... he was ok, bike even rode out .. I think .... lol

he had about 4 or 5 friends that were with him so when I saw them stay behind me and the rest of the busas just went on our merry ride... :)

too bad the same thing happened to me like 5 months after ! LOL I was all alone like at 2 am taking an exit that was like a perfect 90 degree ... i was going just a LITTLE too fast for the turn ! LOL

GOOD BYE BUSA !

·
Registered
447 Posts
ExtraJ said:
The cop kept harrasing they guy, asking him if he was going "60 mph". We almost started laughing like "this man has NEVER seen a real corner at 60 in his life".
The cop that showed up when I lowsided tried to do the same thing. Kept trying to make me confess that I did 60 or that I crossed the double yellow.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
You are not responsible for other riders in your group. Everyone should ride within their experience level and limits.

·
Registered
376 Posts
ExtraJ said:
So anyway, my buddy felt pretty bad about letting them ride with us and us possibly having something to do with they guy wrecking his bike.

The guy has a mind of his own bro, if he chose to exceed his limits, it's neither yours, nor your friends fault.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
you have NOTHING to feel bad about, like the others have said he has a mind of his own, if he didnt realize he couldnt keep and kept pushing HIS limits thats HIS fault

·
Registered
75 Posts
unfortunately some people have an ego that won't let them admit they do have limits. don't worry about it, it's his fault, not your's or your friends.

Late

Darksyde

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Just because someone crashed, it doesn't mean they are a bonehead, or "he was trying to keep up." They made a mistake, it happens to even the most experienced riders. I've seen a newbie rider crash at 25 MPH on an easy 100 mph corner. Lack of experience is #1.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
RACER X said:
not your fault.........

rule #1.......ride your own ride.
here we go again.....its starting to sound like bible quotations. :comp

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I usually don't ride in groups and almost NEVER ride with someone I don't know. However, if they stopped and seemed like nice folks that I wanted to hook up with later in the ride, I'd tell them where the next meeting point was and let them get their on their own.

Then I'd make them leave first. If they took off and did great, then fine I'd ride behind them. If they were slow and I didn't want to ride behind them, I'd take some other road I knew and hook up with them later at the meeting point as promised.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You let them lead at there own pace, keep your distance, and judge their abilities accordingly. At the next stop, give them some friendly pointers and then the most experienced guy takes the lead. TMKREUTZER has a pretty good plan.

If you don't feel comfortable with someones abilities and they insist on riding with you, tell them they are too good for you, and you won't be able to keep up...:) They will think they are the shit and leave you alone...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sucks that the guy wrecked but don't feel responsible for it.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Did you push him over or run him off the road??? No, So you have to handle your machine, and can't worry about others...If you are in front, you can wait at the stop signs, or back track if they take too long... but you are not responsible for people who try to ride bikes they can't handle.

·
loner
201 Posts
next time, why don't you put a gun to his head? just riding around and trying to get someone to crash is so iffy...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Bomb300 said:
You are not responsible for other riders in your group. Everyone should ride within their experience level and limits.
I agree 100 % with that. You have to know your limits with everything you do and especially on a sportbike. It can be the difference between coming home and enjoying a nice ride or your family planning a funeral.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
I do my best to avoid hooking up wiht people I dont know. I rather not take the risk... Other than that, if I am riding with the regular group, I am at least aware of how the others ride and what they (or I) can and cant do, and ride accordingly. But in the end, like everyone else said, you have to be responsible to yourself.

As far as the cop goes though, I would make sure I did everything in my power to assure the guy that wrecked didnt get into more trouble.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts