Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

How many miles did you have under your belt before you started riding two up? I've been riding for about two years and own a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic, and a YaMAMA FZR1000. My wife wants to hop on the crusier and ride with me but I'm not sure if I'm ready.

Any thoughts??

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
if you don't think that you can do it, then don't. i don't think there is a certain point when you can start going two up. i did it my first year of riding. just make sure you take it slow and roll around the block a few times to get the feel of it. with another person, the weight effects your handling a lot. keep that in mind and be safe.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I had at least a few 1000 before I did. I still don't like to do it. If you don't feel right doing it, I would tell her till you feel better about it, that she'll have to be home bound for a while. or better yet, tell her to get her own! :D:D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I was riding for a week before i rode someone on the back. But thats because they weighed about 100 lbs and it was real easy. It gets more difficult the heavier the person is, especially when theyre leaning too hard on you and scrunching your balls.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I only had a couple of hundred miles. it will be scary the first time. easier on a cruiser since the center of gravity is lower. just go for a jont around the block and then further if you are up to it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Give it a try in a parking lot or in your neighborhood. If you're not comfortable with it, by all means, don't do it. It really is a different world from riding alone. I don't particularly care for it, actually, but I do it occasionally for short hops around town.

·
Registered
404 Posts
As said before, do what your comfortable with. I had a girl on my first bike within the first week, and it was a heavy ass 95 ZX7. Just go slow and be careful.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
I don't remember how long...I'm lucky in regard that my wife is a rider herself and is also an excellent co-rider...I can ride pretty aggressive even with her on because she knows how to ride...

The biggest thing to tell a noobie co-rider, is that they are as important as the person manning the throttle...Every little move they make affects the driver and the bike...So sudden movements are a no-no...Reaching down to scratch the ankle in the middle of a turn could be disastrous :eek:

Start slow in an area without many aggressive turns and slowly work your way up to the harder roads...I'd use the Vulcan first, as it is more 2 up friendly...Good luck...

·
Registered
681 Posts
For those that don't read quite well, he's going 2 up on the cruiser...it won't affect the handling all that much.

Take it to a lot and give it a try......that will determine if you're ready or not.

BTW, do a search here for 2 up riding techniques...there were plenty of threads about it in the old forums.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I only had a whopping 2,000 or so miles under my belt before I first tried it. Low speed is a hell of a lot different with added weight on the back, even if they weigh 100lbs. Above 5mph, it's not so bad. But I don't know how it would be on a cruiser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts