Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys........... I have a question about having a passenger.... When i ride i am really close to the tank, so when i have a passenger they are almost on my seat with me. I can slide back on my seat some, but then i am not as comfortable on my bike, and i always tend to slide right back up towards the tank. So do you guys have the same problem or is it just my riding style?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have my wife put one hand on the tank and one around me. It keeps her from smashing me in to the tank!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Squeeze the tank with your thighs, this well help greatly when braking and manuever. Helps prevent you from "ramming" the tanks.

While riding, its not a big deal if girl leans on you and holds on to you, as long as you are squeezing the tank with thighs. However, when you are coming to a stop, slowing down, the girl should be able to pick up on this and move her hands to the tank to support herself and prevent from pushing into you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what DreddR6 said, grab the tank with your knees/thighs, which ain't always easy on that slender tank (at least the new one).

Proper position for a passanger is to have their hands around you on the tank, almost like giving the tank CPR. It should stabilize their weight, and even help in the corners cause the passenger will naturally float with the bike

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
this so wasn't the thread i thought it was going to be when i saw the title. i very very rarely have a passenger, but a couple of things i have learned it to squeeze the tank (like the others said) and def. have them support their weight on the tank w/thier hands. it is very very tiring to have them support themselves on you for any period of time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found that squeezing the tank does take a lot of pressure off me, but it still feels wierd to me that my girl is basically on the seat with me. It is like my rear seat is not even being used. I mean she is only 5' 3" so i guess her being so small does have alot to do with it... but it still feels like i should slide back more so she can be on the rear seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ECUr6 said:
I mean she is only 5' 3" so i guess her being so small does have alot to do with it
I wish I could remember the name of the book someone got me..., it's all about proper riding positions in various scenarios...., anyway, back to topic, since she's small, the other thing I remember is the passenger can also brace herself by putting pressure on your lower back. Same idea as with the tank, but now she'll keep her hands evenly across you right above your a$$. This will require more leg control and trust from her since she won't be "hanging on".

My ex would have to do that time to time if I had to stop abruptly or make a sudden move (she rarely hung on just riding). It's something to get used to, but better than having her slide onto my seat. Just another 2 cents to think about....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts