Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm a Pittsburgh native who has been living in Florida for the past 5 years. Since moving here, I've gotten into riding. Long story short, I'm about sick of this place, and am planning on moving my family back to the Pittsburgh area in a year or so. Other than my job (which pays more than I could make up there), the ONLY thing I'll miss about Florida is the year round riding. What can I expect up there, realistically, for a riding season? How long will I get?

·
Registered
470 Posts
depends on how cold you'll ride...you can start as early as march sometimes and go to october...hell, we rode on christmas eve last year, but it was unseasonably warm...i'd say april to october is realistic...

·
Registered
473 Posts
i ride about 8 or 9 months. my bike is only parked when there is snow/salt on the roads. riding is usually good thru november. i park it during dec, jan, feb, then get things ready in march cus it starts to warm up. just gotta take it easy cus the roads suck untill about may because of potholes and lots of gravel, salt and sand on the roads. it takes a few good rain storms to clean that shit up.

hit me up when u move back .

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I am on the bike by march/April and park the bike in November unless it is still warm then it's out until we get hit with snow. So 7-8 months out of the year. with 4 months to get the bike back in tip top shape for the next season.

·
you smokin track?
868 Posts
yeah, march through november consistantly with a a few rides on the days above 50f december through feb. biggest issue is not the cold but the leaves in late october.
matt

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
singletrackmind said:
yeah, march through november consistantly with a a few rides on the days above 50f december through feb. biggest issue is not the cold but the leaves in late october.
matt

Hmmm.... how am I going to be looking this November? We're driving up for a 2 week vacation / family visit on Oct. 31st and I was planning on trailering the bike up with me. Will it be worth it, or will I be better off leaving it behind? Seeing as how all my riding experience is in Florida, I'd completely forgotten about the issue with the leaves...

·
5,454 Posts
i rode all of the way thru november last year and hope to do the same again this year. it was warm enough to ride in december too, but it snowed once so i had already put my bike away. as long as its not raining leaves aren't really an issue.

welcome to the PA forum and lemme know when you wanna ride.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
crx81 said:
Hmmm.... how am I going to be looking this November? We're driving up for a 2 week vacation / family visit on Oct. 31st and I was planning on trailering the bike up with me. Will it be worth it, or will I be better off leaving it behind? Seeing as how all my riding experience is in Florida, I'd completely forgotten about the issue with the leaves...
I would not bother the weather here is tricky one year it may be in the 50's the next it could be in the 20's in November. Not to mention your tires never heat up during November. Pulse if it snows there will be salt all over the roads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I parked my bike for a total of 6 weeks last winter, between January and February. As long as you get some decent cold weather gear riding in the winter really isn't a big deal. It's also a lot of fun to see the look of utter shock on cagers' faces! And I've also noticed in the new englad area, once the leaves start to turn you barely see any bikes and the riders you do see will almost always give you a wave. I say bring it up and do some riding, the days should still be warm enough even if you don't have any cold weather stuff.

·
you smokin track?
868 Posts
5ohmike said:
I think I parked my bike for a total of 6 weeks last winter, between January and February. As long as you get some decent cold weather gear riding in the winter really isn't a big deal. It's also a lot of fun to see the look of utter shock on cagers' faces! And I've also noticed in the new englad area, once the leaves start to turn you barely see any bikes and the riders you do see will almost always give you a wave. I say bring it up and do some riding, the days should still be warm enough even if you don't have any cold weather stuff.
I will have to keep you in mind. my office is in west warwick (APC) and I ride up from philly a couple times each year.
matt

·
Registered
159 Posts
The right gear makes makes all the difference. This will be my first winter with the Tiger but my Road King served me just fine through past winter months. Heated gloves are key and sealing out the drafty wrist openings and neck opening is also very important. The winter months, for me, are not usually the balls out, floor board dragging time of year anyway.

Bring your bike and bring your gear and don't be a pussy!! :neener

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ME-Rider said:
Bring your bike and bring your gear and don't be a pussy!! :neener
:lol Well, so far that's the plan. I just ordered some winter gloves that will hopefully do the trick. I'm not going to go the heated route as, for now anyway, it's completely unnecessary where I live. Now, if all goes well in a year and I get to move back, that will be a completely different story!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Not leaves, but....

singletrackmind said:
biggest issue is not the cold but the leaves in late october.
matt
Wet leaves suck, but more than leaves, my favorite is coming around a turn and seeing a pile of walnuts (smashed and whole) laying on the road. Wooooahhhh! :)

Like others have said, I usually ride until they put down the salt and cinders. Then I'm pretty much done until early spring. (Unless of course there's a super nice day than I HAVE to ride the cycle.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
jrevans said:
... my favorite is coming around a turn and seeing a pile of walnuts (smashed and whole) laying on the road. Wooooahhhh! :) ...
Wooooahhhh! is right. Those things are nuts! Sorry, bad pun. Seriously though, I was riding around the other weekend and they were everywhere. Makes for an adventurous ride.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
that and corn, farmers cut it but dont clean it up. My buddy ran over one kicked off his tire and landed between my stomach and the tank..lol so i through it at him at the next red light.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted to thank everyone who convinced me to bring the bike. All I have to say is WOW! Riding just sucks down here in stright, flat Florida! You guys may have a shorter riding season, but you more than make up for it in QUALITY riding! :bowdown I put about 300 miles on the bike in the 2 weeks I was there. Would have prefered to do more, but I had family to visit with and all. I'm definitely looking forward to moving back home next year!:banana

1 - 20 of 22 Posts