Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentlemen,
I have a question for you. I am currently riding an '02 Roadking and I am thinking of getting a second bike. Since I already have a touring/cruiser type bike, I am looking at a used sportbike. I have noticed that some sportbikes offer a more upright riding position than others. I don't think I would enjoy the hunched over, back/neck killing riding positions on some of the sportbikes. I don't want to become a regular at the local chiropractor's office either. So my question is can most of the sportbikes be converted from a low riding position to a higher one?

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
There are some that come ready for you. The Honda VFR is an excellent choice. The CBR1100xx is decent, although not as relaxed as the VFR. Then, there's also the FJR, ST1100, things along hat line. Buell's Thunderbolt bike's are also pretty nice.

Side note. I had a '95 CBR900rr with bar risers and it seemed pretty comfortable.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
There's also the Suzuki sv650 or sv1000 (naked v-twin models), the Yamaha FZR models, the Kawasaki KZ1000, and the Honda 599 and 919 (I think). In short, all of the Japanes big 4 make more upright bikes, but most of them don't have fairings (plus or minus depending on how you look at it). There are also ways of extending the bars of most sportbikes up and back with aftermarket products. On some this gets rather involved as brake lines and control cables may need to be extended as well.

Don't be misled about sportbike displacement vs. power. Most 600cc sportbikes are WAY faster than any Harley except maybe the V-Rod. I would suggest a visit to a couple of dealers to see what's out there.

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
Ray, most 600cc sportbikes would woop the snot out of the V-Rod. I work for a company that does aftermarket components for Harley, and the V-Rod is S-L-O-W!

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
It's not about converting the riding position of the bike - it's more about getting a bike that has a correct riding position, and about using the proper techniques and posture.
I find most "sport" bikes to be more comfortable than the cruisers... Think about it - are you more comfortable with your feet directly below your hips and your back straight, or with your feet and arms out in front of you bending your spine while you ride?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
PJFZ1 said:
It's not about converting the riding position of the bike - it's more about getting a bike that has a correct riding position, and about using the proper techniques and posture.
I find most "sport" bikes to be more comfortable than the cruisers... Think about it - are you more comfortable with your feet directly below your hips and your back straight, or with your feet and arms out in front of you bending your spine while you ride?
That's a very good point. I haven't spent much time on cruisers, but from what I see and hear, you don't have much room to move around. Back straight, all the weight on your butt, arms stretched out in front of you, hmmm.

On all but the most aggressive sportbikes, you have a fair opportunity to move around and change positions slightly while riding. You may need to do some simple exercises to strengthen your lower back a bit, but riding all day on most sportbikes isn't too hard. The key is to develop riding posture that keeps the weight off your hands and the bars.

And yes I understand the comparisions between 600cc sportbikes and Harleys. I wasn't sure about the V-Rod and was trying to be generous. :)

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
It's cool Ray, I was just making sure you hadn't gotten the idea the V-Rod was a badass, just to get your hopes crushed when you get to ride one...lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
go out and test-sit some. I found the F4i very comfortable, and the RR not so comfortable. I now ride a 97 Thunderace, and it fits me even better than the F4i. Like said above, you may want to look more at the "sport-tourer" lines of bikes (Honda Blackbird 1100XX, Yamaha FZR's, FZ1, FJR) vs. the raw "sport" bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts