Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here in texas the winds get pretty crazy, like they'll push you around in a lane when you drive a car or truck, how hard is it to ride in really bad cross winds, and is there any tips?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Best advise - don't worry, relax, let the bike move around some, and practice

It helps to anticipate some, such as when you pass a truck it will block the strong side wind, and you get hit again when clearing the truck

Overall though, just relax, let the bike get a blown a little bit, it won't go down

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Best advise - don't worry, relax, let the bike move around some, and practice

It helps to anticipate some, such as when you pass a truck it will block the strong side wind, and you get hit again when clearing the truck

Overall though, just relax, let the bike get a blown a little bit, it won't go down
If I'm doing a lot of heavy crosswind, I actually will stay in the wind shadow of a semi for extended periods. It's annoying because you have to watch behind for people wanting to pass, and it's not the safest place to be.

But point to the OP - usually even gusty winds ramp up and ramp down - they are like big pushes. Entering or exiting wind shadows - bridges, close buildings, freeway railings, and trucks, is much more abrupt and you need to anticipate them.

But in general, it's no big deal. Remember, the faster you go, the less effect cross wind has on you.

KeS

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Keep your grip loose. Most lanes are 12 feet wide;
Lane Width

Most motorcycles are less then 3 feet wide. So there is lots of room. Keep your hands loose on the grips and if a cross wind picks you out, steer (what they call countersteering nowadays) into it. Your grip on the grips should NEVER be tight. Think about gripping a mythical egg along with your bars. I actually don't grip my bars, except on those once in a blue moon forays into traffic. I rest my palms on the grips and my fingers on the top of the levers. My egg would fall out and hit the street.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
what do you call windy, 30-40 mph is normal for my area.

Reactions: Anthonyd5189

·
Registered
848 Posts
i was thinking the exact same thing.

i would add to predict where a big gust would come from. Like up in the Hills, there have been times when going thru a right hander at speed, around some sheer cliff faces and get hit with a huge gust of wind that if you are not ready for it, it'll push you over into the other lane. it might be 30-40 out on the plains, but the valleys and cliffs funnel the wind and the next thing ya know, ya get hit with a 50 or 60 mph wind.

for me the worst wind was riding on the interstate, trying to beat a storm and got caught in the wind right before the storm hit.... 60 mph with gusts up to 70+. not FUN!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The worst wind I rode in was actually wind turbulence off a bridge, the wind was maybe 30mph or so but blowing towards me over the bridge (Chesapeake Bay Bridge in MD). The effect was huge whorls of air coming down the road which I rode into, felt like a huge smack on the front like an fast oncoming semi every 10 seconds or so. It didn't affect the bike much but unnerved me since I was already a bit unsettled from the height- a long way down past the guardrail just a couple feet away and I was a new rider at the time. Put on the hazards and slowed down to 35 till I got over the bridges crest and things got better, then sped up and got on with it.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Squeeze the tank with your knees and otherwise stay loose. Being tense will wear you out.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
The problem here is more that whenever it gets windy it is about 20ish mph, but random gusts of wind, so it isn't constant. We had an expert racer get blown off the track this weekend while just doing a round robin from one of the random gusts.

To OP, I think I can chime in! I just got off the track in the winds that we had down in Houston this weekend haha. The best thing to do, as has been said, is to primarily stay loose. Being tense will make it more likely to blow you around and take control away from you. If the wind is blowing to the left, don't be afraid to ride in the right 3rd of the lane you are in so that way you have a lot of extra room to correct if a strong gust comes and blows you.

Second, don't be afraid to ride fast in the wind. I'm not suggesting 100+mph, but do the speed limit and don't go slower. The forward direction will make the wind have a lesser net effect on you and the bike.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Wind gusts are scary when you first start riding. The wind might blow you a foot or two over in your lane and it feels like you were nearly blown completely off the road. However, you get used to it pretty quickly.

When I was in Newfoundland I was heading up the west coast and was hit by some hellacious winds that were pretty scary at times and required a lot of concentration. I found out later those are called the 'wreckhouse winds' and they regularly get strong enough that they overturn tractor trailers. Of course, the winds weren't that bad when I was there, but they were still pretty darn strong. Even then though, they really didn't push me far to either side of my lane, but it sure feels like the wind pushed you far when you're riding in it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I actually think it's a lot of fun riding in the wind, I get blown around a little, but never more then a few foot or so, might be because I'm riding a fairly heavy bike.
I remember riding certain days where I'm at a slight angle the whole way.

When you're doing it you get a pretty good feel for the next gust and you can anticipate it pretty well.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
The worst wind I rode in was actually wind turbulence off a bridge, the wind was maybe 30mph or so but blowing towards me over the bridge (Chesapeake Bay Bridge in MD). The effect was huge whorls of air coming down the road which I rode into, felt like a huge smack on the front like an fast oncoming semi every 10 seconds or so. It didn't affect the bike much but unnerved me since I was already a bit unsettled from the height- a long way down past the guardrail just a couple feet away and I was a new rider at the time. Put on the hazards and slowed down to 35 till I got over the bridges crest and things got better, then sped up and got on with it.
I've been over that bridge in great and equal shit weather.

Every time I hunker down and plan a route through the cars and literally fucking haul ass about 100 over that bridge.

Almost every time. Fuck that shit that bridge is annoying!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Doesn't that bridge have grates on it? I hate grates. I'm not bothered by heights, but I have an irrational fear (phobia) of my tire getting stuck in a crack. I know it is impossible but still.....:zzombie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts