Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it hurt anything riding in the rain? Anything I should do to the bike after riding in the rain? Advance would be great, maybe some 'riding in the rain stories' if you have any...

Im just really bored and this is all I could think of to post, sense it has been raining here on and off for the past 3 weeks and it has been raining everyday for the past week :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah it has been raining here the same way. I have been caught in the rain 2 times now. The first time sucked b/c I didnt have gloves or leather. Made me feel very uncomfortable and hurt like hell.
The second time was last sunday. my girl wanted to go riding so we went. against my better judgement. got away from the house and storm came up. Had someone meet me with the rest of my gear and pick her up so that she didnt have to ride in it. the ride home wasnt that bad though.

I will tell you, cover as much skin as possible. At higher speeds the rain feels like BB's hitting you.

To add to your question though, what is some good gear to have for the rain. Not leather but more like rain suits.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, if you started out w/ gear you'd been ok.........

rain shouldn't hurt anything on the bike.....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Riding in the rain is extremely fun if you're prepared with the right gear and the correct tires. If you're using supersport like tires I would suggest taking it easy. The most important thing to do is to dry your bike out when you get back. No I'm not talking about fairings, I'm talking about the inside of the bike. The dirt and moisture drying out will truly add years to your bike if you don't take care of it immediately.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gixxer_Six2003 said:
My Joe Rocket Meteor jacket is water proof. I stay nice and dry, and ride in it anyway.
My leather jacket did keep me dry except around the neck where water got in. I did enjoy my ride in the rain though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I rode my bike year 'round. It's been in some serious down pours and I never had any problems. Just for piece of mind, once you park it in a dry spot, it is a good idea to tilt it from side to side (while still on it of course) to get out a majority of the sitting water. It won't hurt anything to keep it there but it helps somewhat with rusting.
If you have a lawn blower handy, you can use that to blow out any excess water as well if it bothers you. On ocassion I would hit any visible bolts or anything that could possibly rust with a little WD-40.

oh, BTW even when I wore cortech riding gear, I still kept a regular rain coat to go over it. This helped to keep water from going down the neck etc. I put the hood under my helmet. The coat also has the elastic wrists so it keeps things from coming up that way if you don't have gauntlet style gloves. It is bright yellow for visibility.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Just make sure all of the electrical conectors are in good contition and that there aren't any cables without insulation.

I've rode on some really awfull rain, once it was so bad that I wasn't able to see 2 feet in front of me!!! I had to guess and ride really slow to get to one side of the road and then follow it to get under the next bridge...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I ride in the rain all the time. Couple times I went just cause it's fun to powerslide around, but most of the time I just get caught in the rain. No big deal. It won't hurt the bike any. Getting soaked isn't too fun but no big deal if you're on the way home. The worst thing was when I was going from my gf's house which is 150 miles and it started raining after about 50. Then through the mountains the temp dropped to about 50 and I was completely soaked and at night. That wasn't too fun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
CasterTroy said:
rain on dot racing tires is NO picnic

When I had the TLR I feared rain like the wicked witch of the east
Why? they don't get up to temp but I hadn't had any problems. Although I don't go scrape pegs in the rain.

·
Registered
558 Posts
personally i hate riding in the rain.. I have gotten stuck in it once or twice or thrice, and hated it.

biggest advice I can give u is avoid cars like the plague, even more than u do already. Stay away from puddles as well, nothing sucks more then sitting at a stoplight and having a car splash grimey ass brown ass water all over u and ur bike, its even worse on the highway.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Also, it's a good idea to dry your chain and lube it right away when you park the bike. Chains don't like water and tend to rust when left to dry on their own.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
just make sure to wear you gear unless you like the feeling of needles jamming into your skin (or for that matter, sliding down the pavement if you wreck), and clean/lube your chain when you park the bike. you'll probably also want to wash the bike once after all the water dries.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just got my first bike a week ago saturday. This past saturday I rode it to work and on the way home I got caught in the rain. I need some help on finding the right kind of riding gear that is reasonable.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wouldn't ride in the rain if I can help it. I got caught with a friend of mine in the rain. It wasn't bad at 1st because the road wasn't wet yet. But when we got to where we were going, everything was soaked. I was telling him that I have only been riding for 3 months, I don't need to ride in the rain now. We tried to dodge it, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I just took it easy with the brakes and speed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts