Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need some suggestions on equipment for riding in the rain...

Today I went for a ride with a couple of guys. We took a nice twisty road about 80 miles north of our location, and when we got to the turn around spot it started to rain. We hid at the gas station for about an hour, but the rain didn't seem to let off. So, we decided to go further up to get on a main interstate to get back home. That was deffinitelly a god idea, as the interstate is mostly straight and has a decent speed limit.

Problem I ran into was that the water on the visor wouldn't bead up and roll off very good. After a while visor started to fog up too. So, here I am, in a pretty hard rain, with visor fogged up and water just sitting on the visor. I cracked it open a bit and ducked, so it wouldn't get closed by wind. That took care of the fog for a little while, but it got my eye-glasses wet. Then I was screwed. No matter how clear the visor was, I still had beads of water on my glasses.

My question: what products do you use to keep water rolling off and against fog?

I used the Plexus on the outside of the helmet, and Scott USA Anti-Fog Cleaner on the inside. As I sated above, it didn't work very good :dunno

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey, I got a pic from that ride. That was us at the gas station, wating for the rain to let off

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's a good question. My old HJC helmet had a notch so that you could open it just a crack and it would stay there, that took care of the fog. I don't know what's going to happen with my Arai. I've also used this insert called Fog City. It works well in that there will never, ever, be any fog on it, but you should have a back-up visor since it makes riding at night terrible. As for the rain not beading off, it's never bothered me. Just try to focus through it, that's all I do.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
One trick i used to use is to look really far to one side and then the other and the rain would blow off of my windshield. Now I use the Aerostitch VeeWipe Squeegee. You can get them at Aerostitch.com

I just leave them under my hump and when it rains I put one on my finger to wipe the grime off as needed. The thing works miracles and keeps my shield as clear as when it's dry.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Bwahaha I was already laughing thinking the same thing, so that comment cracked me up dragonm :lol :lol

Filip75, you are describing a very normal ride in the rain :twofinger. Here's some "hardcore touring" tips..

1)Water outside the visor: Wax the outside of the visor, the drops disintegrate when they hit the visor instead of sticking and roling

2)Water inside the visor (fog): Rub a tiny amount of liquid soap on the inside. Don't know why it works but it does :) it's good for a couple of days riding, refill as necessary.

3)Jeans get wet VERY fast :lol No good for rainy days..

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Eye-glasses suck in the rain. When it comes down to it, I just tilt my head back so my line of sight is underneath my glasses. I can't see that well without glasses but its a better alternative than being completely blinded by the rain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where'd you guys ride to? Burnet/Marble Falls?
There's some pretty good riding around these here parts, just don't recognize that gas station.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MotoTiller said:
Where'd you guys ride to? Burnet/Marble Falls?
There's some pretty good riding around these here parts, just don't recognize that gas station.
We took 16 from San Antonio (Bandera/1604) to Kerrville. That gas station is at Kerrville. Then we jumped on 10 and headed back to S.A.
bluevfr said:
3)Jeans get wet VERY fast :lol No good for rainy days..
I wore ICON Titanium mesh pants, so that didn't help either :twofinger

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rain X work great!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Filip75 said:
My question: what products do you use to keep water rolling off and against fog?
It doesn't work for rain, because it goes on the inside of a visor, but I've used FogCity fogshields for years and have NEVER had a problem with them. They're an adhesive sheet, in smoke, amber, or clear that you apply to your visor. It's a simple concept, but it works perfectly. They're about $20, and mine last a year or so before they start to slip a bit. I think helmetharbor carries them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
freeride said:
It doesn't work for rain, because it goes on the inside of a visor, but I've used FogCity fogshields for years and have NEVER had a problem with them. They're an adhesive sheet, in smoke, amber, or clear that you apply to your visor. It's a simple concept, but it works perfectly. They're about $20, and mine last a year or so before they start to slip a bit. I think helmetharbor carries them.
thanks a lot. I remembered seeing those, but didn't recall the name

I just ordered 2 clear ones (for my clear and chrome visors)

Now I just need to wax the outside of the visors... Wait, can I wax the chrome visor?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Filip75 said:
thanks a lot. I remembered seeing those, but didn't recall the name

I just ordered 2 clear ones (for my clear and chrome visors)

Now I just need to wax the outside of the visors... Wait, can I wax the chrome visor?
I just want to say again, maybe while you still have time to cancel one of them, that it's VERY nice to have one visor that doesn't have a Fog City insert on it for night riding. At night those damn things turn every streetlight and oncoming car into a disco ball.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use Rain=x on the outside and rain-x anti-fog on the inside and have had no problems with this affecting my visors in any way, this only has to be applied about every 4 mos, so it works out pretty well as long as you remember to do it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
torok said:
I just want to say again, maybe while you still have time to cancel one of them, that it's VERY nice to have one visor that doesn't have a Fog City insert on it for night riding. At night those damn things turn every streetlight and oncoming car into a disco ball.
I picked up 2 CLEAR ones. Right now I have to visors (chrome and clear), so I'll put clear inserts in them and they will not alter the current visibility :)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I think what he is trying to say is the clear ones somehow skew the light colors and make for some very interesting visuals. I can't say personally because I've never used them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts