Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It rained yesterday and it's raining again today but I really want to ride to school, how hard is it to get used to riding in the rain? Are there any tips I should be aware of? I am looking online but not finding much beside "don't ride in the first 1/2 hr of a rain" or "be careful".

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
It rained yesterday and it's raining again today but I really want to ride to school, how hard is it to get used to riding in the rain? Are there any tips I should be aware of? I am looking online but not finding much beside "don't ride in the first 1/2 hr of a rain" or "be careful".
This threat might have answers to some of your questions:

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=281168

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
Bikes do perform rather well on wet streets, depending on the condition of your tires. I don't like to ride in the rain or on wet streets, period, but thats just me.

"don't ride in the first 1/2 hr of a rain" or "be careful".

Good advice on both parts.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
You'll get used to riding in the rain like you'll get used to the wind, semi's, stupid drivers etc etc..:) Only thing I dislike about riding in the rain is starting out in it. It's different getting caught in it. Purchase yourself some really good rain gear and take it with you when ever you might think a down pour will happen. Also, get yourself a tank bag to keep it in.

A bike does rather well in the rain like someone mentioned, but one thing to remember is NOT to grab to much break!! It's no fun coming up to an intersection and seeing that you wont make the light and grabbing a handful of break and running deep into the intersection. If that does occur, make sure to remember, DON'T PANIC AND NOT TO LET OFF THE BREAK TILL THE BIKE COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP. If you do let up, you might end up being tossed over the front like a pebble in a sling shot. But as for traction, a bike has a better contact patch then cars do. Knowing that makes it easier for me to ride in the rain.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I ride all winter in Oregon. You'd be surprised how easy it is to ride a skid/fishtail. Just do it as she said, think about it later. And look out for manhole covers, metal plates, even paint on the road. They're a real pain in a curve. But I actually think heavy traffic is far more dangerous than rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts