Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been procrastinating on getting my riding gear... I’ve been riding for years but never really got into the riding gear thing except for a good Helmet and some decent gloves... Been looking around for a great deal on a jacket... and then I read the accident thread (Nice Post!!!) and it really got me thinking... so I ordered my first jacket, and will start shopping for frame sliders today! Picked up this jacket for $99 (Joe Rocket Meteor4) so I figured I can't go wrong! http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_meteor4_jacket_page.htm I actually found the link to this site on the forum somewhere but can’t remember where now. I figure even if I don’t like it too much once I get it, it will probably at least make a good spare jacket to have handy… does anyone have it?

any other safety must haves???

·
Registered
111 Posts
You may want to go with the Meteor 5.0 as it has zip-away front vents. I myself have a Teknic interstate jacket for colder weather and a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh for warm weather. The best feature I like on my Teknic is the zipper weather flap and rubberized snap covers and it has 4 front pockets.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Boots definately; ankles are very complicated parts of the body. If you break those, they take a lot of time/therapy to heal up. I also wear leather pants for highway runs. Must-haves at high-speeds.

Road rash doesn't wipe off as easily as sweat. Gear up.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I love my Alpinestars Drystar gear for all purpose riding, that's all I really have to say. I have an Alpinestars airflo mesh jacket that does the job of keeping me cool pretty well when it's blistering hot... but sometimes I wonder why they made the jacket pitch black in colour... ;)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Newenough.com is a great place to get gear. Be sure to sign up for their mailing list for deals. I just picked up a $140 tank bag for $50 from them.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Do any of you wear earplugs? My touring friends do, but I hate them. I've noticed my hearing is getting worse, so I'm rethinking my position on that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went for the Metior4 because it was on their closeout list for $99! but I can always keep it as a spare or cooler weather if front venting becomes an issue and pickup a cooler running summer jacket... Thanks for all the great quick responses! I have a pair of good riding boots from a few years ago, but may have to adjust the shift lever for comfort... anyone hear of deals on frame sliders?

·
Registered
169 Posts
karst said:
Do any of you wear earplugs? My touring friends do, but I hate them. I've noticed my hearing is getting worse, so I'm rethinking my position on that.
I don't use anything.. and my hearing is just fine.. Have you got a good helmet?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
karst said:
I would wear them from time to time. Then I bought a new helmet and it was tons better than the old one as far as noise goes. I just bought an mp3 player and as per my usual style, bought different headphones to go with it. They fit up over my ear so they don't fall out when I put my helmet on, and they fit into my ear, acting somewhat as plugs, canceling out some of the wind noise. My ears don't feel plugged when I get to work anymore, and the music (I set the volume before I start riding, so I know it's not too loud) breaks up the wind noise and actually keeps me more alert and makes the ride much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
karst said:
I wear eyeplugs (oops .. earplugs) ALWAYS. When I started riding I was getting ringing after a ride. Shortly after I started wearing plugs and they solved my problem. I have now ordered a custom pair of silicone plugs. (If you come to Vancouver, I will give you my old stock of foam plugs.)

When I first wore plugs, I couldn't hear my engine as well (for shifting). Within a week my ears were aclimated to the quietness, and I could then discern traffic noise just as well as before (but now without the ear strain).

There are various types of plugs so try out a few to suit your comfort. Note their packaging will state the attenuation level (NRR); for which 26 is low, 33 is the highest.

There are some good threads on this website about earplugs (one started by me with links to reference articles and suppliers).

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
skeleton- If you wear eyeplugs, how will you see where you are going? We need pictures!

I always wear earplugs as well. It's a sound investment in the long run.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Hams51 said:
skeleton- If you wear eyeplugs, how will you see where you are going? We need pictures!

:lao
Good catch!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hams51 said:

Got me! :cheers

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have a large supply of Moldex (what a name!) earplugs courtesy of my touring friend. He was horrified to find I don't wear them. A ride up to BC for earplugs sounds fun anyway!

I have a Shoei RF900, which I don't think is thought to be very noisy. And it's much less noisy in the winter when I wear a big polarfleece snuggler. I love to have music for my ride (I ride better), so I think I'll probably end up getting some better earbuds. I was thinking of noise reduction (http://www.ditdo.com/HEADPHONES/ER6/er6.html), but now that skeleton has mentioned traffic noise, I'm not so sure about that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A sound investment? Man, you're living up to your nickname Ham...

I wear earplugs often, and I'm about to try some new ones out that were recommended by a friend (www.earplugsonline.com). My helmet is noisy, and my hearing is bad enough already.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
+1 on the earplugs I never ride without them. When I started riding I didnt even think of it but once I started using them you realize how loud it is without them. I use some howard leights that protect to 33 db and are really comfotable. They are $30 for 1000 when you buy them in bulk. Once your hearing is gone it does not come back.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
FZSilver said:
Once your hearing is gone it does not come back.
No pun intended, but I hear you on that.

Car stereos have screwed up my hearing to the point where I have a difficult time carrying on a conversation when there's a lot of background noise (bars are the worst).

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I just wear Shure e2C sound isolating canal earphones which pretty much block outside noise as well as earplugs. I usually only bother using it when I'm going for a lengthly trip on the freeway and don't bother with anything for short trips or for around-town riding.

My Helmet is a Shoei RF900 and it seems to be fairly quiet as far as wind noise goes, in any case.

By the way, the earphones/mp3 players topic is something to be added to the FAQ. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts