Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another question for you guys. please help if you can.

ive been shopping for a good textile, or leather (preferably) riding jacket. my problem is that im a gymrat and im kinda big (not huge), and i need at least a 2x, but probably 3x, to comfortably fit my arms, shoulders and chest. im no juiced up pro, but im b***** than the average joe, and am having trouble finding a jacket with a good fit. the problem is that the waist ends up being too big and flops around my midsection. even with the waist adjusters, the jacket fits sloppy around my midsection. i know this is goofy, but are there any manufacturers that make an "athletic-cut" riding jacket? or, am i just doomed to have to wear a floppy jacket? thanks for your help.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well depending how much money you have to spend, consider getting something made. Barnacle Bill can make a full leather suit 1pc or 2pc for around $1000. A little spendy, but they make to exactly fit your body. I love my 1pc Barnacle Bills race suit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How big are you actually? You should give some specific measurements so we can get close to a guess at size. I'm 6'5" and about 270, with a 52-53 chest and 38in waist. I wear a 54 one-piece Teknic and other 54 jackets. In a JR Phoenix, I wear a 3X.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 for a custom suit if you really want a good fit.

www.zoonileathers.com
Juan does terrific work.

Plus, check out Flat Out in the "vendor specials" message board section of this site. There's a guy on this site from there that reguarly offers to help with issues like this posted in the "riders gear" section.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
freeride said:
How big are you actually? You should give some specific measurements so we can get close to a guess at size. I'm 6'5" and about 270, with a 52-53 chest and 38in waist. I wear a 54 one-piece Teknic and other 54 jackets. In a JR Phoenix, I wear a 3X.
you are pretty close proportionately to me. im 6'1-240 with about a 34 inch waist. my chest measures 50, and my arms measure 18.5. i have a lot of trouble getting in and out of jackets that fit snug around my waist. the 3x's fit fine around my back and shoulders, but the waist is too big. man, id really like to avoid the expense of a custom jacket. i guess ill just suck it up and wear a 3x.
:angry

thansk for the replies.

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RayOSV said:
+1 for a custom suit if you really want a good fit.

www.zoonileathers.com
Juan does terrific work.

Plus, check out Flat Out in the "vendor specials" message board section of this site. There's a guy on this site from there that reguarly offers to help with issues like this posted in the "riders gear" section.
thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
G L said:
you are pretty close proportionately to me. im 6'1-240 with about a 34 inch waist. my chest measures 50, and my arms measure 18.5. i have a lot of trouble getting in and out of jackets that fit snug around my waist. the 3x's fit fine around my back and shoulders, but the waist is too big. man, id really like to avoid the expense of a custom jacket. i guess ill just suck it up and wear a 3x.
:angry

thansk for the replies.

any other suggestions?
Check out JR and Teknic jackets in a size 54. I'm sure it would fit your chest just fine, and my arms are (approx.) the same size as yours, and a 54 fits me well. The only problem you might have is getting the jacket to snug up some around your waist, but the adjustable waists in most jackets will take care of that. You're right, a jacket that fits your waist will not fit your chest, due to the fact that most of them go up 12 inches from waist to chest (for example, a 46 jacket is made for a 34 waist, and a 44 jackets is made for a 32 waist). Many companies use this or a similar system for off-the-rack leather. You need to find a good chest fit first (try on a 52, if you can find one, but I think a 54 will do it).

By the way, my dad actually owns a size 60 US Joe Rocket Blaster. He's not that big, a little b***** around the waist than I am and an inch shorter or so, but he's a casual rider and doesn't want a tight fit. It's pretty big on me, but it's proof that big sizes are out there.

Call the guys at newenough.com, and they'll do their best to fit you. They aren't ALWAYS right, as they told me I was too tall for a 54 one piece, and I ordered it anyway and it fit perfectly (and still does). This is partially due to the fact that I have a longer torso than a normal tall guy. I'm 6'5" with a 32in inseam!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts