Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have about 100 miles riding so far... i've been taking it nice and easy and riding just like i do in my car. I wanted some tips on how you guys ride between cars and get to the front of the 'line'(while they are stopped at a red light of course) What are things to look out for? I don't plan on doing it until i get more experience, but I want to try and start practicing when I see a nice wide open gap between cars to get up front. Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't bother. It makes cagers (car drivers) totally flip out.. I've heard stories of cars opening their doors as you pass to make you fall on your ass, throw coke cans bottles etc. at you as you pass, and it just gives sportbikers a bad rep. Plus then you gotta haul ass off the line to get back into a lane, and if a cops sees you pulling that, you'll get yourself a bigass ticket.

The only time you should ever do it, is if you're at a light and you want to make a right turn on a red light, and not everyone in the right lane is turning right.. Then just cruise down the shoulder and make sure the car beside you isn't about to turn..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've often times wondered about doing that but I'm always too chicken. Personally, I'd rather wait the extra 30 seconds and not risk getting hurt.

Where I live we have to cross a bridge to get into town and it's only 3 lanes so it can get backed up sometimes when there is only one lane going in. I ride down the shoulder and merge in right at the bottom sometimes to save a bunch of time. Other than that I don't lane split much.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The only time I can see lane splitting is in a traffic jam on a major highway. Why would you worry about it sitting at a stop light? Unless you are impatient, and in that case you should just hang your helmet now while you still can.

·
Registered
533 Posts
in california it's legal and i do it all the time, i personally feel more endangered stuck behind a bunch of cars, i would rather be at the front and get away from them all.

so far nobody has bothered me or tried to kill me, just watch for mirrors and when u pull up to the light judge if you have enough room or not before entering. please dont try until you are comfortable moving the bike back and forth at slow speed if you need to clear the other cars mirrors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RACER X said:
get training www.msf-usa.org , they'll teach you alot about street riding, or you can ask there as well.
I've already taken the MSF course, they dont teach you much on street riding or laws at all..we actually asked questions about laws and such, and they said they dont teach that in there. I passed with a 100% on the skills and written test. Same with the DMV. I'm in CA and I see it all the time... seems I'm the only one who actually stays behind the cars :p I haven't had the balls to do it yet, just wanted some tips for the future. Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
MattLikesBikes said:
Plus then you gotta haul ass off the line to get back into a lane, and if a cops sees you pulling that, you'll get yourself a bigass ticket.
Lane splitting is legal in CA ;)

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
The only time I have ever done it is when I am stuck behind something I see as being more of a hazard to me than lane splitting....not a cool thing to be doing otherwise.... Pay attention to the drivers heads and look to see where they are looking. Make sure they are focused on the road (not talking on a cell phone, smoking, putting on make up, etc) Judge beforehand to make sure they dont tend to wander in their lanes!

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
In CA, where traffic jams run rampant, back in the 70's (IIRC--this was information passed along by a room-mate and long-time rider) almost all, if not all motorcycle engines were air cooled. Aparently, some people got wise and started suing the state of CA for the cost of their engines, which would slowly roast if the bikes weren't in motion--and winning. Since then, lane splitting has been tolerated in CA, if the surrounding traffic is less than 5 mph.

All this to say, I imagine the only logical time that lane splitting would be a "good" idea, is when you are at less risk--monetary and physical--while splitting lanes, than you are doing otherwise. A stoplight is not such a place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The CHP and city popo do it all the time out here in CA. I rarely split traffic myself. Way too dangerous. People in cages spend more time listening to the radio and drinking thier latte's than paying attention to us.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i know lane splitting is not legal here, but i do cut to the right around cars if at a light, turning right and they are going straight. don't know if that's illegal or not.

i never pass cars on their left in one lane, or between cars, ever.

you should not do any of this. :twofinger lol

just take it easy and enjoy yourself and your new bike. there's no need to be doing anything questionable really.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hagios said:
.... lane splitting has been tolerated in CA, if the surrounding traffic is less than 5 mph....
I believe that you have to be moving 5 mph faster than surrounding traffic up until 35 mph.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lane splitting.....be careful. Makes people freak out sometimes....have had tractor trailors try to run me off the road, or into cars for splitting lanes during traffic jams....or cars change lanes when you don't expect......risky at best....real deadly at worst.
But hey its your life...so ROCK ON:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
MilanoRex said:
I've already taken the MSF course, they dont teach you much on street riding or laws at all..we actually asked questions about laws and such, and they said they dont teach that in there. I passed with a 100% on the skills and written test. Same with the DMV. I'm in CA and I see it all the time... seems I'm the only one who actually stays behind the cars :p I haven't had the balls to do it yet, just wanted some tips for the future. Thanks
lol yup. MSF course doesn't teach anything about street riding and techniques or strategies... just mostly safety precautions like what to look out for and how to stay visible and evasive.

I've experienced people who lane split right next to me and fly by me on the highway while i'm in the car... it kind of catches the driver off guard and surprises them... if I moved a little over I would have totally crushed that biker. I think it's quite dangerous on the highway at 70+mph.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts