Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched the forum and didn't find any good info.

I recently got back from Afghanistan. While their we hit an IED and needless to say I'm now a pirate.:skeptic

Anyways I have an 07 dark green gixxer 750 with a slip on and power commander. I've rode a few years, fiancés trying to talk me into quitting. Thing is I LOVE riding, however I cant find a way to ride it without modifying it. I have a prostetic for running and am considering trying to fashion one similar to it, I'm kinda stumped.

Can it be done? and has anyone seen it? I prefer keeping the bike layed out and me adjusting to it.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Which leg? Right leg doesn't matter much as that's the rear brake. Left leg you will need to shift so it will be far more difficult.

That being said, you can modify the shifter I believe to be up on the bars.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Left, lost below the knee.
Was thinking of trying to fashion something where I simply have to push down to cause the other size to flip up to change the gear. Only problem would be going down in gear if I did that since I would have to fashion a way for it to not slide off.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Left, lost below the knee.
Was thinking of trying to fashion something where I simply have to push down to cause the other size to flip up to change the gear. Only problem would be going down in gear if I did that since I would have to fashion a way for it to not slide off.
Motorcycle superstore has a handlebar dynojet mount shifter for $121 for your bike. I believe you also need the quick shifter as well, but it's a plug and play system to get you back up and running.

Dynojet Quick Shift Handlebar Switch - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
848 Posts
So I searched the forum and didn't find any good info.

I recently got back from Afghanistan. While their we hit an IED and needless to say I'm now a pirate.:skeptic

Anyways I have an 07 dark green gixxer 750 with a slip on and power commander. I've rode a few years, fiancés trying to talk me into quitting. Thing is I LOVE riding, however I cant find a way to ride it without modifying it. I have a prostetic for running and am considering trying to fashion one similar to it, I'm kinda stumped.

Can it be done? and has anyone seen it? I prefer keeping the bike layed out and me adjusting to it.

If you want to ride again you will, no debate here.

Theres a guy fast as hell on a race track with 1 arm and 1 leg lost at the hip.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I used to work with a guy at my old PD who lost one of his legs below the knee to a landmine. He rode a GSXR1000 and was very fast in the canyons on it. I can't remember which leg it was though, but it can be done. He also was a cop and would frequently chase people down with the same prosthetic, and then made a point to tell them they just got beat by a guy with 1 leg. I actually never knew the guy had a prosthetic until I saw him wearing shorts once. Best of luck man, I wish you all the best in adjusting to the new leg, but it can be done.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
There was a guy at the track with your sinister predicament - I don't know how he resolved it, but he had something rigged, so it can be done.

The DTC VFR1200F *is* very nice if it's your kind of bike.

KeS

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
There was a guy at the track with your sinister predicament - I don't know how he resolved it, but he had something rigged, so it can be done.

The DTC VFR1200F *is* very nice if it's your kind of bike.

KeS
:headscrtch

His sinister predicament? Not to poke fun, but that's a good one.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Google search Chris Ridgway. He lost his left leg below the knee after many motocross injuries. He still races motocross with an air shifter for up-shifts, and just kicks the lever for downshifts. He's won multiple extremity, and X-Games since losing his leg. Riding a sportbike casually with a prosthetic is nothing compared to racing motocross with one. You should be fine.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
"of, relating to, or situated to the left or on the left side of something"

See? I'm dextrous. :)

KeS
I'll be damned. How come the left handed people of the world haven't torn that apart. I can hear it now "What's the left handed/left legged people being sinister, bull shit! CHANGE IT!" :giggle

Thank you for taking me to school, sir. That was a good one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hell I'll still hit the track.

Im thinking of changing the shifter to like they have on the HDs I see where its forward up and backwards down. May be easier and be cheaper until I can dump money into getting a shifter near the clutch.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Hell I'll still hit the track.

Im thinking of changing the shifter to like they have on the HDs I see where its forward up and backwards down. May be easier and be cheaper until I can dump money into getting a shifter near the clutch.
A lot of the small Chinese bikes down here in Baja have heel-toe shifters, a friend suggested to accommodate riders wearing sandals. Those may be easier to work with that Harley parts - lightweight and metric.

KeS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts