Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Friday evening I went down for my first time. I was following a friend in a mustang out of a parking lot onto a street that was under construction. We were going about 10mph or less. The exit had a slight incline and the pavement was covered with large gravel. The kind they usually use as filler. The light turned yellow and my buddy slammed on the breaks. Needless to say before I could finish the though “this is going to hurt” I was laying on the ground. I don’t remember grabbing a hand full of break…think I was slowly adding grip…however have since been told the rear break is the only thing that I could have possibly used not to go down and who know how hard I really grabbed the thing. Guess I learned that lesson the hard way? The damage includes barely rashed left head light, left side of the front fairing is rashed and has a puncture in it, left top and bottom side fairings are rashed in spots and long scratches from the rolling on the gravel, and a rash about the side of a half dollar on the tail. The stator cover took quite a beating with some small dents and major rash. I will try to get some pics up here as soon as I can. I was lucky that it is all cosmetic damage. I went across the street to Apple Bee’s bar and grill and put ice on my knee. I was wearing my leather jacket, gloves and helmet. I usually wear Joe Rocket over pants, but didn’t today since I was planning on going in and out of a bunch of stores and then to a movie. Now I wish I had them on. Have an abrasion on my left knee and it is pretty swollen. However, it didn’t even rough up my jeans. I think it was more of an impact then a slide on my part. The bike kept going just a little farther then I did (maybe a foot?). Didn’t really do any damage to my gear. Roughed up the leather a little bit, but it is hardly noticeable. Sunday I installed frame sliders. I had considered doing it this weekend anyways and decided after Friday to go pick some up and put them on before riding again. Not sure if I met the frame slider fate for thinking about putting them on or what! But I sure wasn’t going to ride before installing them after deciding to buy them on Sunday.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Glad to see your okay and the bike faired well.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
how far were you from the stang?? you've got to give yourself time to react and room for error, especially on gravel, i totalled my bike on that shit

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
Glad you are ok. I guess better to be going at a slow speed than a fast one. I've yet to get frame sliders myself. I just don't have the time lately. Hopefully soon.

Glad you are alright though.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall...The slow speed fall you described is the most common of all drops...If you are unfortunate enough to drop your bike 10 times in your riding experience, 7 of those times will be slow manuevers as you just described...Not only does gravel suck...it hurts! Get back out soon

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
You're OK though,bike can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Lesson learned. Glad to hear you came out of this unscathed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I almost wiped on some gravel around a turn a couple of times. In your case, make sure you keep your distance ahead of you, like 3 seconds, more if on gravel.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sorry to hear about you going down, at least you are alright and the bike is not too bad off.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already back on the bike. Road it to work today and then did about 100 miles after work.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sh*t happens - similar thing happened to me early last month so I can relate. I was alone and turned off the main pavement road to a side road and the intersection was nothing but marble-sized gravel and traction like on ball bearings.

One minute up, next down and sliding a little. Very low speed but scratched the bike some so now it has character. Sliders did their job. Thankfully at a low speed.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Damn gravel strikes again. Glad to hear it wasnt too bad. Situations like that are the reason I never will ride a bike w/o frame sliders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts