Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my first group ride (4 bikes) yesterday and one of our guys went down and was killed. I was the 4th rider and the rider that went down was in the number 3 position. He had been riding for a couple years and just went through the advanced MSF course a couple days before. We were on 2 lane road with curves on a downgrade coming out of the mountains. Rider 3 took one of the curves too fast and paniced. He put the bike upright and tried to brake instead of leaning through the curve. But he was going too fast and hit the curb. He flew off his bike and hit a guardrail. His head hit one of the vertical guardrail posts and his helmet actually got tore off his head (Seems like he did not have it strapped on right or maybe it was too big for him, don't know). He ended up on the sidewalk and when I got to him he was unconcious and his eyes were open. Rider 2 turned around and came back. Rider 1 came back a few minutes later. Rider 2 checked his pulse and breathing (very weak) and loosened his jacket while I called the police. He had no obvious trauma, was not bleeding anywhere, and was breathing so we did not move him or touch him. That is such a helpless feeling. He just layed there for 15 minutes until the ambulance showed up, we couldn't do anything for him. The ambulance came and took him away. We spent the next 2 1/2 hours at the accident scene trying to explain what happened to the Japanese police. When we got to the hospital he in surgery for a massive brain hemmorage and internal bleeding. We saw his wife at the hospital and after a while we left the hospital and rode home. Apparently he died in surgery while we were riding home. This was a very traumatic event and I haven't been able to sleep for 2 nights now. That was a bad day for riding, a Japanese motorcyclist was killed that same day on the same road. EVERYONE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Thats always sad to hear. May he RIP.

Try to ease and clear your mind by riding the hell out of your bike, instead of staying off it :-/

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
damn... and to witness that.. i witnessed my friends ignorance while he was buzzing, trying to show off he shots down his street & all we see was his rear brake light turn on & then hit the ground along with an array of sparks.. by the time we got there from running he was sobber & walking the bike back to his house..

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sorry to hear about the rider being killed, stories like these suck.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I recently had to deal with a person I know crashing too. I didn't even realize he went down until the paramedics got there while I was only a couple hundred feet away. He's not dead but he is paralized from the shoulders down which I kinda feel might be even worse than dying. I've only met him once before that but it was the scariest thing I have ever had to deal with (and I don't even like the guy). It happened a little over 2 weeks ago and I still can't get it out of my head. It's just undescribable to see a guy go past you less than a minute before a crash that would ruin his entire life. More so when you realize that you were only feet away from his unconcious body the entire time he was laying there and you didn't even have a clue he had crashed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ZxHunteR said:
Thats always sad to hear. May he RIP.

Try to ease and clear your mind by riding the hell out of your bike, instead of staying off it :-/
Thanks. I have been riding my bike everyday since the accident. Plan on going on a long, slow, easy ride this weekend.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Rip

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
May he rest in heavenly peace. Was it a 'new' road? Definitely a sobering reminder to ride within' ones limits. I hope he wasn't military...

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Anyone in the military is like a brother or sister to me. This has hit home for me.

I'm in the AF as well and I see sportbike crazed faces around my shop all the time. It's nice that they're interested, so I do my part of what they need to do and to take the MSF, but honestly, riding isn't for everyone. I pray that they can hold their ambitions ever so slightly so that they may learn without making harmful mistakes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hams51 said:
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Anyone in the military is like a brother or sister to me. This has hit home for me.

I'm in the AF as well and I see sportbike crazed faces around my shop all the time.
I'm in the military as well, Marine Corps. Alot of military guys have bikes here. This is the 2nd fatal bike accident in about 6 months for active duty on Okinawa. The first one was a Marine.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
BLKBRD said:
Thanks. I have been riding my bike everyday since the accident. Plan on going on a long, slow, easy ride this weekend.
Thats my plans just chill and cruise this next weekend . I dont think it could have been put in any better perspective than BLKBRD put it , being completely helpless out there , the shock still hasnt really gone away yet . The impact at my work , not something people expect to come to work and find out about on monday morning ( Im one of Matt's co-workers) Everything about this is just a harsh reality !!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that and sorry you had to see it. Everything you're feeling is natural and is what your supposed to feel. I wouldn't be able to sleep either but you will turn the corner soon and be ready to go. Like you said, be safe and know your limits.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Always, always a tragedy. Sobering thought how fine the line is between life and death. Glad you are ok. Keep your spirits up, keep riding and be safe!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts